• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stupid weekend trip to Tenerife, Canary Islands 26 - 27th July 2014 (1 Viewer)

Gambia would be a distinct possibilty Wolfbirder, depending on the children's ages.
There was a couple at our hotel with young children.
There are some good deals out there.

Have you been to Fuertaventura?
Lots of deals and hotels for families.
Caleta De Fusta is ideal as you can reach a lot of good birdwatching locations easily from there[its more central than Corralejo].
Costa Calma further south is a good location for birds too.

I do try to wrangle our summer holidays to coincide with April/May spring migration, have done Spain, Cyprus, Lanzarote (a favourate of my Mrs), but better get saving for further afield. From a birding perspective I feel I have finished with the Canaries now, would love the Senegambia or the Sheraton in Gambia, luxury birding:t:

I do try to wrangle our summer holidays to coincide with April/May spring migration, have done Spain, Cyprus, Lanzarote (a favourate of my Mrs), but better get saving for further afield. From a birding perspective I feel I have finished with the Canaries now, would love the Senegambia or the Sheraton in Gambia, luxury birding:t:

I couldn't recommend the Sheraton highly enough-that's where there was a family with two children.There is nothing there for the kids such as clubs but they seemed happy enough.
Didn't stay at the Senegambia but it didn't look brilliant when we had a look around.
How about Morocco?
Only 4 hours away.
Essouaria is wonderful in Spring with migrants passing through along the coast.
It suits families as there is an amazing beach there.
We have also stayed in Taroudant and Ouarzazate.Both are great for birding but may not suit a family holiday.

I couldn't recommend the Sheraton highly enough-that's where there was a family with two children.There is nothing there for the kids such as clubs but they seemed happy enough.
Didn't stay at the Senegambia but it didn't look brilliant when we had a look around.
How about Morocco?
Only 4 hours away.
Essouaria is wonderful in Spring with migrants passing through along the coast.
It suits families as there is an amazing beach there.
We have also stayed in Taroudant and Ouarzazate.Both are great for birding but may not suit a family holiday.

Never really considered Morocco for a family holiday, but I tend to do a four day break once a year by myself so that has possibilities. I maybe do Morocco (and Tunisia) a disservice, but they don't look particularly enticing for a family holiday. Though some Morrocan mountain resorts look stunning but as you say not much for kids to do.

If looking for super birding with endless opportunities for non-birders and kids at virtually the same spots, go to Florida.

Ironically enough Jos that is a place the kids and wife really want to go . I have thought about it because I would love to see Painted Bunting and Swallow tailed kite, but then also liked the look of California for the pelagicsand Condors. But would need to save a lot of pennies. Maybe one day .

Never really considered Morocco for a family holiday, but I tend to do a four day break once a year by myself so that has possibilities. I maybe do Morocco (and Tunisia) a disservice, but they don't look particularly enticing for a family holiday. Though some Morrocan mountain resorts look stunning but as you say not much for kids to do.

Personally I would avoid Agadir although it is the most straightforward way to take a family there.There are very reasonable package holidays for families with Thomsons and Thomas Cook.
One or two of the hotels get good write-ups on Trip Advisor.

Once there you could hire a car for a few days and easily get to the famed wetland site further south, ?Massa[forgotten the name]
If you follow the signs for the airport the world is your oyster once you drive past it.
The road is straight and not busy beyond there.You can get to the Sous Valley and the Taroudant area which is full of birds.
They use irrigation troughs around the farming margins of the town which are a magnet for birds.
From there you can head up towards the Tizi nTest towards the Atlas mountains which is a wonderful route to stop and see birds along the way.

If you don't fancy Agadir there is an atmospheric old hotel in Taroudant called the Palais Salam.
We stayed there with our family when they were young.There are two lovely pools there.
It is set within the red walls of the town[google it to give you some idea]
We stayed half board and the food was excellent.
The advantage is that you can do your birding on foot:there is a great park just outside the hotel full of birds.You can also walk to the edge of the town where there are orchards,irrigation troughs and rubbish dumps.Great for birds.
Also the hotel hired out bikes so you can have a good look around the farmland and local villages.
Otherwise hire a car for a few days.From here you can easily reach the Atlas mountains north along the Tizi n Test or south to the Anti Atlas.
We kept on stopping every 5 minutes as there was always some birds of interest around.
Just north of Taroudant there is a road towards Amcherk which you can either walk cycle or drive.It has small farm fields and hedgerows so its really attractive for birds.
If you did it DIY you could probably get a cheap flight to Agadir then either get a taxi to Taroudant or hire a car from the airport.Taroudant is only just over an hour from the airport.

Essouaria is a different kettle of fish but would definitely suit a family holiday.
The advantage is that you can do your birding either ;on foot,petit taxi for short journeys,shared taxis for longer trips or by bus.You don't
necessarily have to hire a car.
The centrepiece is the old walled town and the magnificent sea fortifications.
A huge wide beach sweeps south and there is a promenade which runs for miles.
The fishing harbour is a magnet for gulls : Auoidan and Slender Billed Gull are commonly seen
It is very laid back and nobody bothers you here.
There is a river estuary near Diabet about 2 miles south.
I used to get a petit taxi from the hotel[cost about £1] and every day new migrants were arriving every day on their way north.One day there would be a flock of Spoonbills[11 seen one day] the next day they would be gone and replaced by a gathering of Black winged Stilts.It was a great area for passing Wheatears,Sub Alpine Warblers,Woodchat Shrike,Moussier Redstart,Dartford Warbler and Great Grey Shrikes amongst other birds.
There is a great birdwatching area at Sidi Kaouki which is a beach backed by a woodland area[Moussiers Redstart].
A regular bus service goes there every day via the airport or you can get a shared taxi.
There is another great birdwatching area just north at Moulay Bouzerkton reached by a straightforward road.
The only problem with Essouaria is that the road from Agadir is unlike the normal French Legionaire built ramrod straight roads-it is long and winding.
You would either have to hire a car or arrange some sort of transfer from Agadir[you can reach it from Marrakesh by bus]

Ouarzazate is yet another different birding experience.The hotels are great and would suit a family holiday.The only problem:it is a 6 hour drive from Agadir!

Most Moroccan birders tend to drive for hundreds of miles sweeping up the rarities.
Basing yourself in one place is far more relaxing and would suit a family holiday.

It is defintely a wonderful place to go to especially in Spring when thousands of birds are passing through on their way north.

I think you saw my report on Mahdia in Tunisia.
This place really surprised me especially the huge salt flats at Sebkha Moknine and the wonderful habitat on the edge of the town.
All your birdwatching can be done on foot,using the excellent local train or taxis.
The Riu el Mansour was the sort of hotel we normally avoid but it turned out to be better than expected.
Rows of sunbeds around the pool and animation teams.
We plumped for a room at the back of the hotel which was the saving grace.All the sea facing rooms actually face the rows of tanning guests and the animation team nonsense.The rooms at the back[non sea facing basic rooms] were not only cheaper but also completely quiet and peaceful.
This would definitely suit a family holiday without breaking the bank[Thomson Holidays].
The food was good quality and the staff were really friendly and helpful.

Last edited:
Personally I would avoid Agadir although it is the most straightforward way to take a family there.There are very reasonable package holidays for families with Thomsons and Thomas Cook.
One or two of the hotels get good write-ups on Trip Advisor.

Once there you could hire a car for a few days and easily get to the famed wetland site further south ?Massa[forgotten the name]
If you follow the signs for the airport the world is your oyster once you drive past it.
The road is straight and not busy beyond there.You can get to the Sous Valley and the Taroudant area which is full of birds.
They use irrigation troughs around town which are a magnet for birds.
From there you can head up towards the Tizi nTest towards the Atlas mountains which is a wonderful route to stop and see birds along the way.

If you don't fancy Agadir there is an atmospheric old hotel in Taroudant called the Palais Salam.
We stayed there with our family when they were young.There are two lovely pools there.
It is set within the red walls of the town[google it to give you some idea]
We stayed half board and the food was excellent.
The advantage is that you can do your birding on foot:there is a great park just outside the hotel full of birds.You can also walk to the edge of the town where there are orchards,irrigate troughs and rubbish dumps.Great for birds.
Also the hotel hired out bikes so you can have a good look around the farmland and local villages.
Otherwise hire a car for a few days.From here you can easily reach the Atlas mountains north along the Tizi n Test or south to the Anti Atlas.
We kept on stopping every 5 minutes as there was always some birds of interest around.
Just north of Taroudant there is a road towards Amcherk which you can either walk cycle or drive.It has small farm fields and hedgerows so its really attractive for birds.
If you did it DIY you could probably get a cheap flight to Agadir then either get a taxi to Taroudant or hire a car from the airport.Taroudant is only just over an hour from the airport.

Essouaria is a different kettle of fish but would easily a family holiday.
The advantage her is that you can do your birding either ;on foot,petit taxi for short journeys,shared taxis for longer trips or by bus.You don't
necessarily have to hire a car.
The centrepiece is the old walled town and the magnificent sea fortifications.
A huge wide beach sweeps south and there is a promenade which runs for miles.
The fishing harbour is a magnet for gulls : Auoidan and Slender Billed Gull are commonly seen
It is very laid back and nobody bothers you here.
There is a river estuary near Diabet about 2 miles south.
I used to get a petit taxi from the hotel[cost about £1] and every day new migrants were arriving every day on their way north.One day there would be a flock of Spoonbills[11 seen one day] the next day they would be gone and replaced by a gathering of Black winged Stilts.It was a great area for passing Wheatears,Sub Alpine Warblers,Woodchat Shrike,Moussier Redstart,Dartford Warbler and Great Grey Shrikes amongst other birds.
There is a great birdwatching area at Sidi Kaouki which is a beach backed by a woodland area[Moussiers Redstart].
A regular bus service goes there every day via the airport or you can get a shared taxi.
There is another great birdwatching area just north at Moulay Bouzerkton reached by a straightforward road.
The only problem with Essouaria is that the road from Agadir is unlike the normal French Legionaire built ramrod straight roads-it is long and winding.
You would either have to hire a car or arrange some sort of transfer from Agadir[you can reach it from Marrakesh by bus]

Ouarzazate is yet another different birding experience.The hotels are great and would suit a family holiday.The only problem:it is a 6 hour drive from Agadir!

Most Moroccan birders tend to drive for hundreds of miles sweeping up the rarities.
Basing yourself in one place is far more relaxing and would suit a family holiday.

It is defintely a wonderful place to go to especially in Spring when thousands of birds are passing through on their way north.

I think you saw my report on Mahdia in Tunisia.
This place really surprised me especially the huge salt flats at Sebkha Moknine and the wonderful habitat on the edge of the town.
This would definitely suit a family holiday without breaking the bank[Thomson Holidays]

Wow great information, thanks for such information , almost a trip report in its own right !

Ironically enough Jos that is a place the kids and wife really want to go . I have thought about it because I would love to see Painted Bunting and Swallow tailed kite, but then also liked the look of California for the pelagicsand Condors. But would need to save a lot of pennies. Maybe one day .

California knocks spots off Florida :t:

Florida is however cheaper to get to and the birding spots are right on top of the main tourist attractions.

Once in the US, it is actually quite cheap - car rent generally less than UK, petrol much less, food et al less, etc etc.

Hope the information gives you some ideas.
I noticed you like American warblers.
We spent the last two Springs in Cuba:American Warblers are a go go as they pass through on their way north in March and April.
We went with Thomas Cook,the first year to Cayo Guillermo and this year to Guardalavaca[The Sol Luna Y Mares].
Both were brilliant for birds although Cayo Guillermo bordered on the outstanding.
The holiday prices are remarkably reasonable but they will bump them up for Easter school holidays.
Once you have paid for the holiday there is not much more to pay.

The birds are on your doorstep so there is no need to hire a car.
In both places there are cheap trips to good birdwatching places or a hop on hop off bus serving the hotels.
Not only will there be the American warblers but also hundreds of American Waders,Egrets,Herons Flamingos,Vultures,birds of prey and lots of Cuban endemics.Every other resident seems to be an endemic!

All hotels are All Inclusive.In Guardalavaca not only did they build hotels but also housing locally for the workers.
11% of their wages are deducted every week to pay towards their house. After a number of years they own the house outright.I can't recall the term of the repayments but it is less than the average 25 year mortgages paid in this country

Last edited:
California knocks spots off Florida :t:

Florida is however cheaper to get to and the birding spots are right on top of the main tourist attractions.

Once in the US, it is actually quite cheap - car rent generally less than UK, petrol much less, food et al less, etc etc.

Your report on your website whetted my appetite for California Jos, though not the heat you experienced! Would certainly be fantastic if I could get there, but at present its a bit of a pipedream, I bet it would cost about 5 grand, I am genuinely thinking of saving over several years. Have relied on credit cards for too many years and now they have caught up with me a bit :smoke:

But I will get there !:t:

Hope the information gives you some ideas.
I noticed you like American warblers.
We spent the last two Springs in Cuba:American Warblers are a go go as they pass through on their way north in March and April.
We went with Thomas Cook,the first year to Cayo Guillermo and this year to Guardalavaca[The Sol Luna Y Mares].
Both were brilliant for birds although Cayo Guillermo bordered on the outstanding.
The holiday prices are remarkably reasonable but they will bump them up for Easter school holidays.
Once you have paid for the holiday there is not much more to pay.

The birds are on your doorstep so there is no need to hire a car.
In both places there are cheap trips to good birdwatching places or a hop on hop off bus serving the hotels.
Not only will there be the American warblers but also hundreds of American Waders,Egrets,Herons Flamingos,Vultures,birds of prey and lots of Cuban endemics.Every other resident seems to be an endemic!

All hotels are All Inclusive.In Guardalavaca not only did they build hotels but also housing locally for the workers.
11% of their wages are deducted every week to pay towards their house. After a number of years they own the house outright.I can't recall the term of the repayments but it is less than the average 25 year mortgages paid in this country

Indeed you have given me some great ideas :t:.

I do love American warblers, and the one trip I have done away from WP is Canada where I did Pelee, Rondeau and Long Point. That was just superb and I saw nearly all the expected warblers including Prothonotary, Cerulean, Magnolia Black-throated Blue, Black & White, Bay-breasted, Parula, Cape May etc. All stunning males.

Wolfbirder: Now I know what your family circumstances are I realise why you are keen to see new birds and get to as many places when the opportunity arises.

I remembered another hotel which combines birding and family holidays.
We went to the Happy Life in Dahab a couple of years ago.
It is family friendly and due to the situation in Egypt,very reasonably priced.
You can either go with Olympic or arrange your own holiday booking a flight with any company flying to Sharm El Sheik.
It is nowhere near Sharm and nothing like the huge Red Sea resort.
When we arrived 300 passengers got off the plane:296 went to Sharm,four of us went to Dahab!

The hotel is situated in an isolated position at the foot of the Sinai mountains.
The gardens aren't exactly lush but large enough to attract a few resident birds as well as migrants.

The best thing about it is the free shuttle into Dahab.
It drops you off in the town centre close to the sewage works.
The heat combined with the smell was overpowering but the sewage ponds attracted a lot of good birds:so good I went every day.

The staff here are brilliant.I wrote to them ahead of going to ask for a quiet room and they duly obliged.

I have pasted a copy of the report to give you some idea.

You could visit at Easter for migration or as close to the end of the Summer holidays as possible.The hotel quietens down in the last week in August and beyond.

I am told the Ibis Style Lagoon Hotel has more dense foliage in it's grounds so it is consequently better for birds on site.

Spent a week at the ambitiously named Happy Life Hotel in Dahab. Actually it lived up to its name. The staff smiled all week as did the guests. It wasn't really a birdwatching holiday as such but I was impressed by the birds seen with little effort.

The hotel is situated in an spectacular position at the foot of the Sinai mountains about 7 miles from Dahab itself. It has large grounds with plenty of well watered plants and vegetation. It has great potential in migration season being 100 miles due south of Eilat.

I looked around the hotel grounds every day and I saw a Hooded Wheatear most days including an individual on my balcony one morning. There were 2 Crowned Wheatear either within the grounds or around the hotel every day.

A female Collared Flycatcher was seen in the gardens most days as were some Yellow Wagtails [Feldeg]. A European Bee-eater flew past our balcony one day. It was around the hotel most days.

Spotted Flycatchers were around most of the week and Rock Martins were seen in good numbers morning and late afternoon.
Olivaceous Warblers could be seen or heard in the trees every morning.

The hotel supported a big flock of House Sparrow and Laughing Dove as well as a few Collared Dove. A Great Grey Shrike [Aucheri] and 2 Red-backed Shrikes including a juvenile were in the row of trees near the beach. When looking there one evening I was surprised to find a juvenile Rose Coloured Starling. It was still there in the same tree the next morning. There were wonderful walks either north or south of the hotel along the beach. Birds seen in this area were, Brown-necked Raven, Green Heron, Caspian Tern, Common Kingfisher, Yellow-legged Gull, Common Sandpiper, Hooded Wheatear, Isabelline Wheatear, Red-backed Shrike, Great Grey Shrike, Rock Martin, Laughing Dove, Collared Dove, House Sparrow, Spotted Flycatcher and Kestrel.
One afternoon an Eleanora's Falcon flew down from the mountains to the beach north of the hotel.

The hotel ran a shuttle bus every day into Dahab [free of charge]. To my surprise it stopped 200 yards from the Dahab Water Treatment Works. I've visited some grot spots in my time to view birds but this took the gold medal. It was in the middle of a boulder strewn landscape of dumped rubbish and half built shacks. There was a pack of mean looking dogs keeping guard and when the wind was in the wrong direction the smell was indescribable. Nevertheless the birdwatching was so good I went most days..

The ponds supported a flock of around 50 Coot and 50 Little Grebe as well as 12 Mallard. The prize bird was a juvenile Whiskered Tern. I also saw 2 Squacco Heron every day as well as a juvenile Reef Egret. There were 5 Black-winged Stilt, 6 Greenshank, 4 Grey Heron, 4 Redshank, 6 Ringed Plover, 4 Common Sandpiper, 1 Common Snipe, 1 Shoveler, 1 Cattle Egret,1 Kestrel and a large flock of Yellow-legged Gull. There were at least 10 Spur-winged Plover and large numbers of Rock Martin about. A European Bee-eater was seen most days as well as Laughing Dove, Hooded Crow, Collared Dove, House Sparrow and Rock Dove. There were always a good number of Yellow Wagtail there with a maximum of 18 one day.

About 20 minutes walk from the hotel there was a magnificent wadi called Wadi Qunai. Although there were few birds there I saw a Long-legged Buzzard,1 Rock Martin and 4 Brown-necked Raven.

We stayed till the 30th August. So far south is Dahab that I didn't see my first Barn Swallow, Swift or Red-rumped Swallow till the last day. I would have loved to revisit in a few weeks time when the migrants arrive in force.

Last edited:
Thanks for that Pratincol. It certainly looks a good option. Love hotels with good birding. I recall this report at the time, as I do read most if not all WP trip reports on Birdforum. I know Egypt hols are currently cheap due to the situation there. Many thanks again for your thoughts and consideration. Has certainly given me much to consider.

Good attempt for just one night

I didn't have a sniff of Canary Islands Kinglet (Canary Islands Goldcrest) anywhere!

In a week there last Septemberr we only had 3 Kinglet at Chio. So not an easy bird based on our experience.

It might have been worth heading up to Chanajinga after the Viewpoint as Bolle Pigeons were still flying at mid day when we were there.

PS

A vote for Senegambia if going to Gambia - cheaper and more birdy although rooms are not brilliant.

In a week there last Septemberr we only had 3 Kinglet at Chio. So not an easy bird based on our experience.

It might have been worth heading up to Chanajinga after the Viewpoint as Bolle Pigeons were still flying at mid day when we were there.

PS

A vote for Senegambia if going to Gambia - cheaper and more birdy although rooms are not brilliant.

Indeed I should have gone to Chanajiga , not easy to find unfortunately. Not distraught however, thankfully the birds i really wanted were really easy.

Have you thought of Aruba. It's in the carribean just above Venezuela. I'd say it's the perfect mix for a family holiday and great birding at the same time. We stayed at the Riu Palace which was an all inclusive resort. It has the beach facing it and various wetlands behind it including the islands main nature reserve the Bubali wetlands. Fantastic birding, herons, terns, skimmers, waders, Anis, Frigatebirds, pelicans, and a roosting osprey everyday not to mention various passerines plus more great birding around the rest of the island too. All the usual beach stuff to keep the kids happy and a compact island so easy to navigate if you hire a car.

Have you thought of Aruba. It's in the carribean just above Venezuela. I'd say it's the perfect mix for a family holiday and great birding at the same time. We stayed at the Riu Palace which was an all inclusive resort. It has the beach facing it and various wetlands behind it including the islands main nature reserve the Bubali wetlands. Fantastic birding, herons, terns, skimmers, waders, Anis, Frigatebirds, pelicans, and a roosting osprey everyday not to mention various passerines plus more great birding around the rest of the island too. All the usual beach stuff to keep the kids happy and a compact island so easy to navigate if you hire a car.

Always interested in learning about hotels like this:sounds like my sort of holiday.
Who did you book it through.
Where do they fly from in the UK?

For the Caribbean - what about the Blue Waters Inn on Tobago, can be B&B, half board or what they call Full American Plan, so not quite all inclusive (as drinks not included). You can book direct or several companies do packages I think.

Similarly to the Aruba Hotel it's in a great location, good birding from the hotel beach and within walking distance, boat trips to Little Tobabgo and great for snorkelling and diving if that's your thing. There was a resident osprey there as well!

Tobago is small and friendly (or it was when I was there some years back) and very beautiful.

So this thread has itself travelled a long way from Wolfbirder's trip report but it's great seeing everyone's recommended places!

For the Caribbean - what about the Blue Waters Inn on Tobago, can be B&B, half board or what they call Full American Plan, so not quite all inclusive (as drinks not included). You can book direct or several companies do packages I think.

Similarly to the Aruba Hotel it's in a great location, good birding from the hotel beach and within walking distance, boat trips to Little Tobabgo and great for snorkelling and diving if that's your thing. There was a resident osprey there as well!

Tobago is small and friendly (or it was when I was there some years back) and very beautiful.

So this thread has itself travelled a long way from Wolfbirder's trip report but it's great seeing everyone's recommended places!

Thanks for that.
I have heard good reports about Tobago:it is on my wish list.

Am currently "Off Island", and have just read your report Nick. It appears that you have redefined "Day Trip" birding, and in doing so, have taken it to new heights (El Teide...o:)). The cost seems reasonable to me, all those thrills and thankfully no spills on the hairpins, might compare favourably for an adult ticket to Alton Towers. Mind you, a drive from Church Stretton (West midlands) along the "Burway" to Bridges (have done it once, never again!), might have prepared you for your "Hairpin" adventures on Teide. Just goes to show what you can do, in a short space of time...and land Blue Chaffinch. :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back