• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Superior E's in the tropics? (1 Viewer)

lanceisfree

I own a pair of Nikon Superior E bins (quite happy with them by the way). While I generally avoid wet and steamy conditions when birding, they have survived the occasional rain shower and pelagic trip with no problems.

My question is the following: has anyone used Nikon SEs while birding in a tropical location? I will be in the Amazon basin next month and don't want to find out the hard way that my bins have fogged up on me!

thanks
David A.

lanceisfree said:
My question is the following: has anyone used Nikon SEs while birding in a tropical location? I will be in the Amazon basin next month and don't want to find out the hard way that my bins have fogged up on me!
Hi David,

I have never been birding in tropical climate, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if non-waterproof porros did fog-up there. However, fogging-up occurs usually in changing temperatures: moisture condensates on cool surfaces eg. when coming out from cool, air-conditioned building (here in Finland it may be as serious the other way around ;)). If you let the binoculars warm up in a sealed plastic bag before starting to use them in extreme moisture, there should not be problems. And if you are really concerned about the moisture inside the binos, you can always carry dried silica-gel in a plastic bag and give the binos a drying treatment when necessary.

Fogging-up is IMO much more serious with "waterproof" binoculars, which are usually very difficult/slow/expensive to get dried again.

HTH :t:

Ilkka

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back