• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Survey about Wild Justice (1 Viewer)

Jack Dawe

I see that the Game and Wildlife Conservancy have opened a one-question petition about Wild Justice (the predator protection group fronted by Chris Packham, Ruth Tingay and Mark Avery) asking whether they are doing more harm than good. The question seems framed to encourage negative replies, so I thought Birdforum members might like to put their point of view. I note that the survey asks for an email address. I didn't give one. It didn't seem to matter, but who knows?

I don't have any vested interest in this, except that I heartily approve of Wild Justice. I just spotted a post about it from RBA on Twitter and thought it might be of interest here.

Thanks Jack for posting this -

Just so people are aware who is framing the petition and to what ends
https://www.gwct.org.uk/about/trustees/
and their publication

Of course they are encouraging negative replies, their whole raison d’etre is to find scientic and conservation justifications to underpin their hunting, predator control and shooting activities.
Wild Justice is a total anathema to their objectives, so the attack on WJ should come as no surprise.

If enough members fill out the petition in favour of WJ, it may not change the outcome but might screw with it a bit!

To make it easier, I cut and pasted the objectives of WJ taken from WJ’s website, and pasted them into the survey answer box - feel free to use my answer below as to why you answered ‘no’ (if you did!)

“Wildlife Justice objectives are:

• Nature conservation, primarily in UK.
  • Advocacy to make UK laws, policies and practices more wildlife-friendly.
  • Use of UK legal system to further nature conservation objectives.
  • Encourage public participation in nature conservation issues.”

It's fifty-odd years since I studied sociology but I don't suppose things have changed so much in that time that surveys conducted in this manner have become remotely useful or informative. It's no more than an ill-considered attempt to get the desired answer and generate publicity (much like a recent survey about the abuse suffered by gamekeepers). No self-respecting organisation would pretend otherwise.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back