• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swallowtail in Aberdeen (1 Viewer)

Marcus Lawson said:
There were several Swallowtails in Kent a couple of weeks back, and there have been more recorded in recent years so can't see any reason why the Scottish bird couldn't be a migrant - as has been said before it's a bumper year for migrant insects generally.

With regards the fly-through Camberwell Beauty, have a quick look at the moth Clifden Non-pareil. A few years ago my brother and I saw something whizz-by and my heart raced as I thought it was going to be a Camberwell Beauty - imagine my disappointment when we caught up with it feeding on a plant only to discover it was "just a moth"!! :'D

That said, chances are yours was a Camberwell Beauty (can't find the jealous smiley!!)

Here's a link to a photo of Clifden Non-pareil http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=849

Thanks for the pointer, but definately not the moth.

The more images me and my partner look at, the more we think its a Camberwell Beauty. Pamela is normally good at picking up the finer detail in things and she did get the best view. I was downstairs looking at it flying level with my own eyes while she was upstairs looking down.

Pamela is saying that it was a C.Beauty, but the trouble with me is that I don't like to say that I've seen something unless I have definately identified the species in question.

Unless we see something similar, I think this one will get recorded as a very strong probable Camberwell Beauty. Hope the county recorder can help with the decision when he receives my email.

Thanks,

DaveB

What a battered-looking butterfly... wouldn't be surprised if it crossed the North Sea!
I'm a bit surprised by the reddish colour on its hindwing (check surfbirds), where I'd expect blue. Again a sign of extreme wear?

Xenospiza said:
What a battered-looking butterfly... wouldn't be surprised if it crossed the North Sea!
I'm a bit surprised by the reddish colour on its hindwing (check surfbirds), where I'd expect blue. Again a sign of extreme wear?

Hello Xenospiza,

Migrant butterflies are usually in perfect condition when they arrive here. Migration across open water doesn't damage the wings at all, only collisions with assorted vegetation or other objects does that. Many a collector of yore was noted to say they thought the migrant specimen they had caught was locally bred because it was in perfect condition.

British Swallowtails also have red on their hindwings usually in at least two places.

Harry

OK, now I've seen two more pics on surfbirds... and the red on the first picture (on the upside of the left underwing) appears to be a trick of the light.
The other two pics show normal (if washed out) colours (with the red spot where I'd expect it), with the ratio of dark and pale indeed more like the continental than the Scandinavian race.

Another factor to take into account is that we , as as been alluded to, are actually dealing with 3 subspecies . P. m. brittanicus our Norfolk insect. P. m. gorganus the French one which occasionally breeds in Kent and in the 19th century probably occured in other places in Southern Britain. There are Swallowtail Records from Penclawdd and Loughor in South Wales, where no Milk Parsley grows, during this period.
The third is the nominate P. m. machaon which is in Scandinavia where it is more likely to be single brooded.

"The problem always is these days, are they genuine migrants or just deliberate releases. It's a problem for recorders of insects, not unlike that of the accidental release of captive birds which go on to breed in certain areas are for birders.

I bet the local Butterfly Conservation Recorder is tearing his hair out trying to decide the true origin of these specimens."

Bowing to Harry's vast experience compared to mine, we were just wondering about the above comments. Over the last few days, there has been a huge influx of Red Admirals along the North East tip of Aberdeenshire, (Just North of Peterhead down to Balmedie) with the butterflies coming off the sea in large numbers. I wonder what else is coming of the sea which has not yet been picked up by observers.

Regards

Malky

NeilJones said:
Another factor to take into account is that we , as as been alluded to, are actually dealing with 3 subspecies . P. m. brittanicus our Norfolk insect. P. m. gorganus the French one which occasionally breeds in Kent and in the 19th century probably occured in other places in Southern Britain. There are Swallowtail Records from Penclawdd and Loughor in South Wales, where no Milk Parsley grows, during this period.
The third is the nominate P. m. machaon which is in Scandinavia where it is more likely to be single brooded.

Quite a nice find!

I think it most likely to be a vagrant. Im not quite sure how well this species is doing within scandinavia, or indeed whether scandinavian Swallowtails are migratory, but these things usually occur in twos or threes, so anyone out and about along the North-east coast over the next few days, should keep their eyes peeled .....cos you just never know :eek!:

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back