• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swamp Sparrow? (1 Viewer)

Searching for migrating sparrows at local wetland/prairie.
Would be my first so not quite sure.
Sorry for poor photos, it was dark and rainy, had to lighten on computer just to approach normal.

Attachments

• sws1.jpg
    sws1.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 137
  • sws2.jpg
    sws2.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 114
  • sws3.jpg
    sws3.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 112
  • sws4.jpg
    sws4.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 101
Swampie gets my vote but I'm just a novice. It has the eye line that thickens, gray face and breast with light steaking and a rufous crown. I have a lot of sparrows on my list and would really like to see this one. Maybe this winter.

yep

agree with Katy, if you wanna see poor photos, google "Tennessee Skua photos" or look on the IDFrontiers archives. Yours are fine
Thomas
best way to tell Swamp Sparrows is plain gray breast and rufous cap (buffy flanks)

Thanks for saying my photos are fine, but I am spoiled by taking photos of nice, cooperative Savannah or Song sparrows posing for me in bright sunshine maybe 10-20 feet away. Even my Lincoln's Sparrow shots are better, he just pecked around in the grass practically at my feet.

Thanks for the ID confirmation everyone.

Now, I just need a few Sharp Tailed and LeConte's that were sighted at the same spot I took these.

These look like they cooperated. "Turn to the right (pic 1), now all the way to the right (pic 2), turn to the left (pic 3), now look striaght at the camera (pic 4)."

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back