• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

swan head gourds (1 Viewer)

bought some gourds last fall called swan head gourds due to the shape of the gourd, cleaned it out, drilled 1-3/8 hole and hung it up under a porch roof yesterday. today two carolina wrens are busy filling it with nesting material. should be some good pictures.

carolina wrens

bought some gourds last fall called swan head gourds due to the shape of the gourd, cleaned it out, drilled 1-3/8 hole and hung it up under a porch roof yesterday. today two carolina wrens are busy filling it with nesting material. should be some good pictures.

The wren is bringing food for the nesting female at a constant pace.

Attachments

• carolina wren feeding mom.jpg
    carolina wren feeding mom.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 63
Never seen a birdhouse like that before... nice idea! :)

gourds have been used as birdhouses for many years but this is the first year that I decided to make one. The carolina wrens have been visiting me since I moved out here in 1984 and I love thier song and inquisitve behavior. Purple martins are another gourd loving bird but you need many since they colonize in numbers. Thanks for the comment.

Here is the young wrens with thier mouths open looking for food. They have since fled and filled my porch with baby carolina wrens for the afternoon.

Attachments

• carolina wren chicks.jpg
    carolina wren chicks.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 51
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back