• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swaro EL 10x50 users in 2021. (1 Viewer)

NZbinodude

New Zealand
How many of you are happy owners/frequent users of the much revered 10x50 EL? How does it compare to the NL models as an 'overall package' for long-distance viewing in low-light situations? Do you find it too heavy/bulky?

I'm pretty keen on one. They supposedly handle glare a bit better than the other EL models. Good AFOV. Good light gathering. Great resolution. Easy eye placement (perhaps a bit better than the NL 10x42?)

The EL is also a mature design, so most of the kinks have been ironed out by now.

I've never tried the 10x50, but I've owned a couple of 8.5x42's. I was quite happy with them, although I would have liked slightly better glare suppression, and slightly more exit pupil for my eyes to 'roam around' in. So the 10x50 might be the answer.

For me the SV 10x50 are better binos than the NL 10x42 hands down: much easier eye placement, much better glare control, better ergos (even their thumb intends fit my hands pretty well) and they are only a bit heavier. I used the 10x50 frequently, along with the 12x50. (note: both my 10x50 and 12x50 are SV models, I am not a fan of the FP package).

Hello, NZbinodude,

I own a EL 10x50 FP since 2018. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to compare it to NL, but I can clarify some points. This binoculars does not feel bulky and heavy at all. And if you consider that this is a 10x50 ROOF, then I do not see any competitors for it here. For a hike in the mountains, I would probably choose another pair of binoculars from my small collection, but for lowland walks, I think it is quite suitable. Optically, this is a great pair of binoculars. Ease of viewing, resolution, color rendering, and field alignment are right there at the very top. It will be hard to beat him. And, of course, in terms of the ease of placing the eyes, it is significantly superior to 10x42. If I had to keep one pair of binoculars now, it would undoubtedly be the EL10x50.

I've never tried the 10x50, but I've owned a couple of 8.5x42's. ,,,and slightly more exit pupil for my eyes to 'roam around' in. So the 10x50 might be the answer.
Hello,

I don't understand, the 10x50 has an exit pupile of 5mm. the 8.5x42 of 4.95mm. where do you see advantages with the 10x50 at this point?

Andreas

How many of you are happy owners/frequent users of the much revered 10x50 EL? How does it compare to the NL models as an 'overall package' for long-distance viewing in low-light situations? Do you find it too heavy/bulky?

I'm pretty keen on one. They supposedly handle glare a bit better than the other EL models. Good AFOV. Good light gathering. Great resolution. Easy eye placement (perhaps a bit better than the NL 10x42?)

The EL is also a mature design, so most of the kinks have been ironed out by now.

I've never tried the 10x50, but I've owned a couple of 8.5x42's. I was quite happy with them, although I would have liked slightly better glare suppression, and slightly more exit pupil for my eyes to 'roam around' in. So the 10x50 might be the answer.
I found that despite being compact for its format the 10x50 EL Field Pro crossed the steady handling line for me into Shakesville, Tennessee, whereas the 8.5 doesn't. Only marginally but enough when unsupported to counteract the effect of extra detail from the higher magnification. Chuck (on this forum) did warn me before I bought it! If that isn't a problem for you I'd go with what PeterPS said. In my case that one negative point means that without something to lean on or support my arms with I'm far happier with the compact 10x42 SLC, also a very fine glass and not far off flat field. But those weren't your questions so to let you get back to the NL comparison I'll back out at this point.

It's certainly a very fine glass but so is the 8.5 and I can't imagine you'll notice the minute difference in exit pupil in practice. Good luck with your decision.

Tom

Hello,

I don't understand, the 10x50 has an exit pupile of 5mm. the 8.5x42 of 4.95mm. where do you see advantages with the 10x50 at this point?

Andreas
I understand your logic. It's just that I've read elsewhere (on this forum) that people found the view through the 10x50 more relaxing and allowed for more eye movement.

I very rarely use binos unsupported (I'll normally sit down and rest them on my knees for long distance viewing) so shake is a non-issue.

@PeterPS sounds like the 10x50's are well worth it. But as @SeldomPerched touched upon - it's a question of how much more performance I'll be getting v.s the 8.5x42. Especially for the extra weight.

I would be curious to try the 10x50 EL with some NL eyecups. It was a really nice upgrade for the 8.5x42.
Did that, but got no improvement, on the contrary: for me the eyecups of the SV50mm are a better fit than the NL eyecups (used on the SV 50mm), probably due to the smaller diam of the former. An interesting fact here: the NL eyecups can be used on the SV/FP 50mm but not vice versa.

Last edited:
@PeterPS sounds like the 10x50's are well worth it. But as @SeldomPerched touched upon - it's a question of how much more performance I'll be getting v.s the 8.5x42. Especially for the extra weight.
Of course, opinions are almost always subjective and only you can decide what's best for you. For me and my neck of the woods (where I usually go birdwatching) the SV 50mm is a better bino.

I sold mine and replaced it by the 10X42 NL pure for 3 reasons : too heavy , less microcontrast, and inferior balance compared to 10X50

Hi, are the NL eyecups suitable for EL SV 42? If yes, does them improve the eye relief?

Thank you.

Andrea

They are not a perfect fit but can be used:
advantages - increased internal eyepiece diameter on the eyepiece changes the view. Slightly increased eye relief and impression of reduced heaviness of the field-stop.
Increased indents of adjustment allow more position options (but NL eyecups don't retract to the minimum so probably won't improve eye-relief for someone using eyeglasses)
Disadvantage - increased outer diameter of the eyecup - alters ergos.
Threads are compatible but take care not to cross thread.
Overall I like it quite a bit more, it gives an easier view with impression of greater AFOV. Effortless to get behind, Thats why I wondered how they would go on the other 10x ELs.

For me the SV 10x50 are better binos than the NL 10x42 hands down: much easier eye placement, much better glare control, better ergos (even their thumb intends fit my hands pretty well) and they are only a bit heavier. I used the 10x50 frequently, along with the 12x50. (note: both my 10x50 and 12x50 are SV models, I am not a fan of the FP package).

A few years ago I tried SV 8X32 and 8,5x42. The useful eye relief was sufficient with eyeglasses, but the eyecups are unnecessary high and I wanted to come 1-2mm closer to the lens for the perfect comfortable open view.
Later I tried SV 12X50 and the eye relief was not close to sufficient for eyeglasses.
I find it strange that Swarovski (like Zeiss) states the same eye relief of different models who actually have significantly different eye reliefs.
How is the useful eye relief of SV 10X50?
I assume it's significantly longer than the 12x50?

What is this "Field Pro" I keep seeing mentioned? It does not seem to be offered in NZ, whatever it is.
Swaro ELs after ~2016 or so have a slightly different style than regular Swarovision (SV) ELs and they're call Field Pros... Different strap attachment and eyecups, maybe some other minor differences. I believe the optics are the same but maybe there were modest improvements?

FWIW if you like flat-field bins I think the EL 10x50 SV are superb. I owned a pair and the view was fantastic, very relaxed and great in low/fading light. I used them to watch swallows and swifts over our pond at sunset and they were good from seated positions as well. They are somewhat big/heavy compared to something like an 8x32 and I wouldn't think of them as a first option on woodland hikes but maybe shoreline walks... Really nice optics overall. I have big hands and they were very nice to hold and I had no issues keeping them steady. However, I struggle with panning in bins with field flatteners, specifically ELs (not so much with Zeiss SFs), so I ended up selling them. They did handle glare better than the smaller ELs I've owned.

I understand your logic. It's just that I've read elsewhere (on this forum) that people found the view through the 10x50 more relaxing and allowed for more eye movement.

I very rarely use binos unsupported (I'll normally sit down and rest them on my knees for long distance viewing) so shake is a non-issue.

Resolution and extra magnification.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back