• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski 12x42 NL Pure and Leica 12x50 Ultravid+ comparisons (1 Viewer)

It is a LOT of money for sure. One possibility is to buy a less expensive bino. Its tempting to buy both and send one back after trying them out. If you try the 12x NL please try to post your impressions here. Again, my worry is lack of forgiveness re eye placement with the small exit pupil, and the ability to hand hold them at my, (our), age.

Last edited:
Give that NL a try! I'm over 60 now and have noticed no decline in my ability to handhold bins, even 15x (with 3.7mm EP, not much better). My pupils still seem to dilate rather well too, though I haven't tried to measure. There is variation, but I suspect other factors (smoking for example) play a greater role than age alone.

Give that NL a try! I'm over 60 now and have noticed no decline in my ability to handhold bins, even 15x (with 3.7mm EP, not much better). My pupils still seem to dilate rather well too, though I haven't tried to measure. There is variation, but I suspect other factors (smoking for example) play a greater role than age alone
I am 87, and my 600 gm 8X32 SF is certainly easier to hold steady than my 840 gm 10X42 EL SV (purchased in 2014) was.

There are marked differences in the optics in favor of the SF too.

Аз съм на 87 години и моят 600 gm 8X32 SF със сигурност е по-лесен за задържане, отколкото моят 840 gm 10X42 EL SV (закупен през 2014 г.).

Има значителни разлики и в оптиката в полза на SF.
Доволен ли си от 8x32?

Three months on and the 12x42NL is used more than the rest of my binoculars combined. Eye placement is fine for me two clicks in and I'm happy holding them, so no buyer regrets whatsoever. Not bothered getting the forehead rest as yet.
The 12x50 has barely moved off the shelf.

Charlie:

thanks for this review. I am looking to upgrade from my Nikon Monarch 7, 8 x 42s which have an 8 degree field of view. I hadn’t consider these binos until I read Roger Vines review. You seem to confirm some of Rogers comments.

I had thought a 12 power would just be too twitchy for birding, but maybe the wide field of view of these binos will reduce the notice of any twitchiness. Now I have rethought my strategy, I need to give these a test drive. The extra reach of a 12 X will be beneficial for raptors and studying waterfowl on our local lakes.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back