• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski Habicht 10x40W (Newest Version) vs Zeiss Dialyt 10x40 Newest Version (1 Viewer)

Aquaplas

Austria
Hey. Is there anyone who have compared the Newest Version of The Swarovski Habicht 10x40W with the latest Version of the Zeiss 10x40 Dialyt from the 9ties?
Are this Glasses comparable from Quality? Anyone means the Differences in View from that both?

Thanks for Answers

A good new Year.

I had Zeiss Dialyt 10x40 BGA TP and I had Swarovski Habicht 10x40 made in 1996. Unfortunately I did not own these binoculars at the same time so I could not compare them. I remember from memory that the Dialyt I had first was very impressive. I did not expect such an image quality. But a year or two later I found a Habicht 10x40 made in 1996 so without SWAROBRIGHT, SWAROTOP, and my impression is that the image was substantially improved compared to Zeiss. The resolution and contrast were over two very good binoculars I had at the time: Zeiss FL 10X56 and Leica Ultravid non HD 10X42. Together with some friends we tried to read some letters on a poster and we all managed to read the clearest with Habicht. The clarity on the edges is better at Dialyt but in the center the resolution, the contrast and especially the color rendering is much better at Habicht. Simply all things seemed more colorful than in reality. These are my 2 cents.

Hi

Try both and decide which one you like best.
I no longer have the 10x40 Dialyt, nor did I keep the 10x42 Victory FL T*, but still have the Habicht 10x40W.
I'd say a fair competition would be between the Habicht and the Victory, the Habicht has better view but shorter eye relief so you may choose the Victory if you wear glasses.

zp*

I had Zeiss Dialyt 10x40 BGA TP and I had Swarovski Habicht 10x40 made in 1996. Unfortunately I did not own these binoculars at the same time so I could not compare them. I remember from memory that the Dialyt I had first was very impressive. I did not expect such an image quality. But a year or two later I found a Habicht 10x40 made in 1996 so without SWAROBRIGHT, SWAROTOP, and my impression is that the image was substantially improved compared to Zeiss. The resolution and contrast were over two very good binoculars I had at the time: Zeiss FL 10X56 and Leica Ultravid non HD 10X42. Together with some friends we tried to read some letters on a poster and we all managed to read the clearest with Habicht. The clarity on the edges is better at Dialyt but in the center the resolution, the contrast and especially the color rendering is much better at Habicht. Simply all things seemed more colorful than in reality. These are my 2 cents.
The current Habichts still do not have Swarobright coatings. Not needed on porro prisms. (I'm pretty sure about this, but am absolutely sure I'll be corrected if wrong:).)

I havent compared the 2 but use the 7x42 habicht as my only bins. I like them but the field of view is small on all habichts compared to most of the good to high end roof prism binoculars, especially the 7x42's.

I think there definitely one to try before you buy. For me it comes down to that if you get a bird in the field of view and can move the heavy focuser quick enough then having tried a fair few bins they cant really be beaten on brightness, resolution and ca control. Big compromises including not insignificant handling challenges though for the end result.

The current Habichts still do not have Swarobright coatings. Not needed on porro prisms. (I'm pretty sure about this, but am absolutely sure I'll be corrected if wrong:).)
Porro prism binoculars don't need (a) phase coatings, and (b) dielectric coatings on the prisms.

Hermann

I havent compared the 2 but use the 7x42 habicht as my only bins. I like them but the field of view is small on all habichts compared to most of the good to high end roof prism binoculars, especially the 7x42's.
The Habicht 7x42 is the odd one out with its very small field of view. The 8x30 and the 10x40 have got "normal" fields of view. The 10x40 for instance has got a field of view of 108m/1000m. Not ultrawide, but noch too shabby either.

Hermann

The Habicht 7x42 is the odd one out with its very small field of view. The 8x30 and the 10x40 have got "normal" fields of view. The 10x40 for instance has got a field of view of 108m/1000m. Not ultrawide, but noch too shabby either.

Hermann
True, there not as notably small as the 7x42's but still the smallest against any comparatively priced roofs.

Definitely a trade off, when 8x32's are up at 150m and 10x40's are in the low to mid 130's at 1000m. It seems the tech in this regard has moved on a fair bit recently especially when those fields of view are becoming increasingly sharp to the edges compared to older models. There's been a lot of these advances over the old habichts, eye cups, handling, focus resistance, diopter adjustment, eye relief etc but if you can take the time to learn your way round them the view is excellent - you might still miss the odd bird though! I think habichts are always a bit of a left field choice for birding, I don't see many about which for the cheapest full size models of the top selling premium brand probably says more than anything else about there overall appeal in the showroom!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back