• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swifts (1 Viewer)

Six Common Swifts coming through yesterday in Hagen/Germany. Also, around 50 Barn Swallows still present at one spot.

4-5 over Woodberry Wetlands in North London on Sunday; about half a dozen over the same area the previous weekend.

One over Whitley Bay on Saturday, conceivably one of 'our' pair of swifts which were still returning to feed young at the weekend.

I last saw a few Swifts on the 8th August in my area I’ve been away in Norway for a week and I haven’t seen any since I’ve returned. There’s still a few Swallows here.

A singleton today, foraging along the cliffs this morning at Overstrand, Norfolk, at some 20-30 metres above the Clifftop Café, 0908-0918.
MJB

2 over Balgay Hill in Dundee at around 1620 this afternoon. Had a couple of singles on Thursday last week at Riverside Nature Park in Dundee.

In Zürich I've not seen or heard a Common Swift in several weeks, and haven't heard or seen an Alpine Swift in about 8-10 days, though it wouldn't surprise me to catch one or two more stragglers yet.

Hey!

Yes, migration is the cause right now. It seems they came late this year - at least to Southern Westfalia/Germany - and left pretty early; approx. four weeks ago, maybe even more.

We think Sept 4th was the latest positive ID of a young bird in our nest box. The first positive sighting of an adult bird entering the box was on June 22, which we think gives just enough time for laying, incubation and fledging. These were clearly a late starting pair, but the first occupancy since the boxes were installed 2 years ago.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back