• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Switzerland 2022…and all that Jazz! (1 Viewer)

A few Jack Snipes and Great Northern Divers reported.
A great Electronic App for reporting such rareties is available.
The Swiss Bird Alert.

Attachments

• 68B8308B-9949-4A7B-B755-D6B1166629C1.jpeg
    68B8308B-9949-4A7B-B755-D6B1166629C1.jpeg
    117.2 KB · Views: 5
  • D98040F3-CDEC-40A1-BDFE-6E15749AA9E6.jpeg
    D98040F3-CDEC-40A1-BDFE-6E15749AA9E6.jpeg
    77 KB · Views: 5
  • B06C22C0-2EBD-4B1C-8FC0-918D70E9672F.jpeg
    B06C22C0-2EBD-4B1C-8FC0-918D70E9672F.jpeg
    65 KB · Views: 4
Trying to understand the “official” organisations involved in the protection of birds and wildlife in Switzerland is rather difficult.
At the local level( Village or Geminde), it is possible to obtain support and funds to protect certain habitats. The decision is made locally.
There are also activities at the Kantonal level and State level for instance protection of the 18 National Parks.
There are private and semi private organisations in Switzerland for the monitoring of bird populations,trends and threats, as well as those who are actively conducting projects such as the reintroduction of Bearded Vultures.
Ornitho describes itself as “the official birding exchange platform in Switzerland, supported by “Nos Oiseaux”, the “Swiss Ornithological Institute”, “Ala” and “Ficedula”, in collaboration with Info Fauna-CSCF / Info Fauna-karch.
There are also the international organisations such as Birdlife (Switzerland)which are also involved in projects within the country.
I would be grateful for any clarity on the organisations, however the most important message is that Switzerland is very active in this area.
A few links of interest:

Ala
Naturschutz
birdlife
Ornitho
Swiss Ornitho
vogelwarte
Bearded Vultures
Pronatura
National Parks

Attachments

• E197CE26-2934-46D8-A538-F751028F9177.jpeg
    E197CE26-2934-46D8-A538-F751028F9177.jpeg
    75.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Several sightings of Jack Snipe,Great Black backed Gull, Long tailed Duck Northern Diver and Great Skua reported.

Attachments

• EEF7D51A-85F9-4CA7-8A39-03AC2BC75478.jpeg
    EEF7D51A-85F9-4CA7-8A39-03AC2BC75478.jpeg
    83.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 7BC355C8-0EAD-4106-8504-44ED3133BB37.jpeg
    7BC355C8-0EAD-4106-8504-44ED3133BB37.jpeg
    90.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 55B36A12-0EA2-48F9-A345-EAA6254EB160.jpeg
    55B36A12-0EA2-48F9-A345-EAA6254EB160.jpeg
    65.8 KB · Views: 5
Still very cold and quite quiet on the bird front.
The Great Skua and Black backed Gull are still around.
Several Geese species including Bean Geese, Greater White fronted Geese, Graylag, Barnacle and Egyptian Geese seen this year.

Thanks Mike.
Talking of Woodpeckers, Switzerland has most, if not all, of the different kinds of woodpeckers in the country.
I will check later for the breeding records.
In order of possible occurance (based on my experience):
  1. Great Spotted Woodpecker
  2. Green Woodpecker
  3. Gray Headed Woodpecker
  4. Middle Spotted Woodpecker
  5. Lesser Woodpecker
  6. Black Woodpecker
  7. Wryneck
  8. Three toed Woodpecker
  9. White-Backed Woodpecker
  10. Syrian Woodpecker ?
Anybody disagrees with the order?

Interesting paper

Woodpeckers in Europe
Interesting order. In my experience watching them in Germany, I would put Black and Middle Spotted higher on the list (both around #3; Black being quite conspicuous and MSW being the third most common woodpecker in the country), but perhaps the relative densities are different, and Grey-headed might be more common in Switzerland than farther north. Haven't yet been so fortunate to see any of these species in Switzerland.

Thanks Sangahyando,
I have seen a good number of Black Woodpeckers in Germany and would agree with you. Middle Spotted are treated as rare here in Switzerland, however they seem to be doing well in the country.

Two interesting rareties turned up in Klingnauersee…Cetti’s Warbler and Siberian Chiffchaff.
Other rarer birds seen today include Great Black back Gull, Northern Diver, Horned Grebe, and Bean Goose.

Hey there... I've been in Zürich for about a year (though only in CH for a bit over 1/2 of the past year, somehow). Was out of CH for a few months this winter and am only back as of a week ago. I'll get my first real day out birding tomorrow, will probably go to Bodensee for swans. I hadn't (at least yet) realized that there were LT Ducks there as well at the moment, so I appreciate your post here! If I do well with swans in the morning I'll probably try for the Sib Chiffchaff at Klingnauer Stausee. Hopefully there will be a crowd to help guide me, as I've not yet been to that site :) And if I don't see anything, meh, no big deal... I'll enjoy reading on the train and I will pretend I enjoy walking around in the cold!

Hi Pbjosh
Sorry was out and missed your reply
Did you get to Bodensee..great for the Swans , Divers etc but very cold there.
Great Black backed Gulls still there.
The Great Skua is still around the Bielersee.
The Long tailed Duck is at Grangettes (VD)
Horned Grebe at Yverdon.
Go to see Cetti Warbler at Klingnauersee as well.
if you need any co ordinates please let me know
Cheers

Hi Pbjosh
Sorry was out and missed your reply
Did you get to Bodensee..great for the Swans , Divers etc but very cold there.
Great Black backed Gulls still there.
The Great Skua is still around the Bielersee.
The Long tailed Duck is at Grangettes (VD)
Horned Grebe at Yverdon.
Go to see Cetti Warbler at Klingnauersee as well.
if you need any co ordinates please let me know
Cheers

Had a lovely day with several hundred swans and 2 well seen Bewick’s and a couple more probables among the masses of Mute and Whooper. Also one GBB Gull. But yes it was cold. The forecast sun and 4C ended up being gray and windy and 0C, at least at Triboltingen, so after about two hours there and a frozen sandwich I said f*ck it and headed home, so no looking for divers / diving ducks for me.

I am definitely a nordmensch/sommertyp and winter here is a bit of a struggle. Just spent 3 months in Brazil and Argentina, 30+ degrees everyday 😍😍😍

Lol..Well done! Any Photos?
Its a great Winter destination but I prefer the warmer days in the Wallis.
Get down to Klingnauersee..a great chance to see Cetti Warblers and Great Bittens.
PS I saw a Whooper Swan there recently in the warmth of 8C..Even my sandwich tasted good.

Attachments

• FCF6AD7B-7101-4DDE-946E-D451D37028C5.jpeg
    FCF6AD7B-7101-4DDE-946E-D451D37028C5.jpeg
    162.3 KB · Views: 1
  • EFACDCE6-2216-40B2-AD4F-E28A1B0A0B39.jpeg
    EFACDCE6-2216-40B2-AD4F-E28A1B0A0B39.jpeg
    212 KB · Views: 1
  • DDDF76FE-102C-4651-B9F4-34B169DEA6C4.jpeg
    DDDF76FE-102C-4651-B9F4-34B169DEA6C4.jpeg
    43.3 KB · Views: 1
I am not much for photography, prefer to carry less weight and spend more time observing...

I've still not been to Klingnauer Stausee. The Siberian Chiffchaff would be nice but not sure I'll make it anytime soon :(

Some of these Compact Cameras e.g Canon and Nikon are quite small yet have great Zoom and provide great photos. They are not so expensive.

On the bird news, Bluethroat reported at Fanel. Often seen at migration however not this earlier in the year!

Talking of Fanel, this is one of the greatest bird watching site(s) in Switzerland.

Fanel

Infact there are two sites close to each other …Fanel in the Canton of Bern and Chablais de Cudrefin in the Canton of Vaud.
There is a Birdlife Centre and even a Hotel /Resteraunt on site.

Birdlife

Recent birds seen there include:
  • Bean Geese
  • Whooper Swans
  • Greylag Geese
  • Pintails
  • Barnacle Geese
  • Common Goldeneye
  • Smew
  • Red Breasted Meganser
  • Bittern
In addition there is an Excellent site nearby at Krummi, which is one of my favourites in Switzerland.

Rare birds seen recently in Switzerland include
  • Horned Grebe
  • Caspian Gull
  • Cattle Egret
  • Herring Gull
  • Northen Long tailed tit
  • Bean Geese
  • Jack Snipe
  • Bewick Swan

Some of the very Rare Birds seen for Switzerland recently include:
  • Great Black backed Gull
  • Ringed necked Duck
  • Oriental Turtle Dove.
I am surprised that the Dove is treated as a Rarity I would have thought more as an escapee

Swiss winter is not a bad time for owls. They call all year. I saw Pygmy Owl several times in Switzerland. It is widespread in the spruce forests on the lower mountains, both Jura, Alps and lower hills. Nevertheless, all observations are hidden by default on the Swiss portal ornitho, which I find far too much.

I also do a lot of scenic hiking in the mountains. One good place, if distant from major cities, is the (only) Swiss national park. Reintroduced Bearded Vultures are relatively easily seen there, as well as native Golden Eagles. Besides birds, it has lots of red deer, chamois, ibex and marmots, which are not very shy.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back