• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tall tripods? (1 Viewer)

Claymore

Hi,
can anyone recomend a tall tripod (I'm 6'4" tall) needs to be nice and solid to take weight of camera + bigma and preferably tall without having to extend the centre column to cut down on shake.
I have a Benbo which is great allrounder but not very tall at full height.
Cheers
Brian

I am 6'3" and use an old Manfrotto 055C (the aluminium ones) - not light but more than tall enough for comfrotable use of a straight through scope or my 20D+battery grip+70-200 f2.8.

Very sturdy - thats why i prefer it over my carbon Manfrotto - and has taken almost 2 decades of use and abuse in it's stride.

Hi Brian I have the larger Benbo which is approx 1.8metres with legs spread generously without column extended and 2.45+m with centre column extended. Used it for remote photography in years past. I'll be parting with it if your interested.

Stewart

Hi,
can anyone recomend a tall tripod (I'm 6'4" tall) needs to be nice and solid to take weight of camera + bigma and preferably tall without having to extend the centre column to cut down on shake.
I have a Benbo which is great allrounder but not very tall at full height.
Cheers
Brian

Brian.
A few months ago I acquired a tripod Brand name:-
Quick set. It's a big girl but not too heavy. She stands
some 4ft CLOSED. With the option of another 3ft 9ins
with the second section. Plus another 2ft from the central
column. However, I've only ever used it with base + 24" or
less.
It's main function was to support scientific instruments.
No wobble, no whip, no torque. Just solid support.

It cost me £10 + £20 postage. I died when it arrived
( THE SIZE OF IT) but she's a darling. Best investment any
Telescopterist can make.

Kindest regards,
young Ian.

P.S. I'm so proud of my new word ' Telecopterist'

I use an old beaten up Gitzo 1320. With the central column lowered and the two leg sections extended, it is just a bit too high for me (6'2") with a low profile ball head. It should be perfect for you if you can find one at a decent price. With only one leg section extended and the central column at max extension, it is about the right height with a much smaller footprint - albeit it is quite less stable in this configuration.

Quick update for this thread,
I have just bought a fantastic tripod on Ebay from a company called RedSnapper the quality is fantastic very solid and comes complete with padded case, its easily tall enough for myself (6'4") and will go even higher if you raise the centre column.
Cost £49 and worth every penny! it doesn't come with a head but at that price it leaves you more cash to buy a decent one.
Cheers
Brian

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back