• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

TCON-17 vs DMW-LT55 telecon lens (1 Viewer)

"Digital zoom" is cropping, and does not increase magnification or resolution on the subject at all.

What we are talking about here is not "digital zoom" as it is most often understood; Panasonic uses the term extended zoom for what we are talking about here. It is correct that this is an in camera cropping (except at wide-angle, where it is probably a down-res processing). There is another thread http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=105219 discussing advantages and disadvantages of this approach.

tomo_76 said:
I read an Amazon review that said that a ring of black background is added to the image is this true as I intend to take several panoramic shots and edit them together.

I don't have the TCON-17, but based on the converter I used on my previous camera, you will not see the black ring when using a converter while the camera lens is zoomed in. When you start zooming out, then there will be a point at which the converter limits the view of the camera, and you start seeing the black ring. If you want to use wide angle on the camera, then you should take off the TCON, putting it back on if you want to gain a reach beyond what the camera can do on its own.

Niels

^ Wow, that's an amazing price.

I couldn't find an Olympus TCON-17 within my price range, but I got a Sony VCL-DH1758 (also a 1.7x Tele Conversion Lens) for $60CAD (~£35).

It's pretty good so far.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back