• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

TEST: Viking ED PRO 10x42 vs. Nikon M7 8x30 (1 Viewer)

Royfinn

The price of both bins for me were around 300 €. You still can get Viking from some places, althought it's out of production.

I have had M7 as my main bin for long time and I got Viking few days ago. I do lot of migration watch in birding (so there is need for more magnification) and autumns are quite rainy and dark, so bigger lens might bring more light. I noticed that at least 3 very active birders here use something like Kowa 10x56 bins, so there must be some advantage of bigger numbers. So I went to search for bigger number bins that are decently priced. I haven't even thought of Viking bins, but I somehow noticed them and started searching for info, but it was hard to find. It seems that initially the Vikings were priced like 800£, then 550£ and now you can get them for 320£ (I got the on sale for 275£). So I thought they might be more valuable than their current price. The fear was that I would loose 300€ on bins that are just heavy, but give no real advantage in pic quality compared to M7 and end in to being the back up bins.

CONS of the Viking.
- It's weights almost 2 times more, over 800+g vs. M7's 400+g
- It's lot bigger than m7
- The focus wheel might be bit better on M7.

PROS of the Viking
- Biggest and most important thing: the pic is brighter, bigger and overall better. :t: I am not sure if it's because of bigger lens, more magnification or just better coatings. M7 pic is good, but on a rainy day I have clear preference for the Viking.
- Easy view. They fit my face perfectly with no adjustments. M7 has also easy view for me, but many other bins don't. I had Nikon EDG 8x30 while ago, but had I problems with eye relief distance.
- The strap is really nice (M7 has good strap also).
- Less glare
- Stiffer hinge, so that I don't have to adjust it all the time.
- Lot better armour (I hope).
- I hope the focus wheel don't get very stiff in cold temperatures, like with M7.

CONCLUSION

Buying the Viking ed pro was shot in to the dark, but it seems to have ended well. It's cool looking bin that delivers in pic quality. :-O I didn't find anywhere the information of "how good bin the Viking ed pro really is compared to others?". The better test would of cource be against M7 10x42. On the other hand, if you have 300€ budget, you have to make this kind of choices.
On the positive side is also, that the narrover field on Viking didn't bother me at all.

Attachments

• vikin1.jpg
    vikin1.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 63
  • vikin2.jpg
    vikin2.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back