• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The amazing Contax SL300RT* (1 Viewer)

a nice sunny morning and a nice static subject--still trying hand holding this camera to see how it performs--the two herons are taken from the same place the first with Contax on 3x and the Swaro zoom on 20x the second with the Contax on 3x and the zoom on 60x--I have not sharperned them at all to just show what is possible---interestingly if I use the camera with the eyecup on the zoom eyepiece up, as normal for my eye, the camera shows no vignetting at 2x or 3x but when I zoom up the eyepiece I have to put the camera on 3x and turn down the eyecup to get the camera closer to the lens to eliminate vignetting which comes back in as you go up the zoom--there is probably a simple explanation which I am overlooking--Rabbit grooming taken on coninuous shooting and caught a decent pose which would probably have missed with the 880

Attachments

• GH web.jpg
    GH web.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 170
  • GH head.jpg
    GH head.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 177
  • Rabbit web.jpg
    Rabbit web.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 153
Hi to everyone and to the very helpful posts on this topic. I am absolutely delighted with the Contax and think there is a place for both cameras now. Obviously on the long walks - will only now take the Contax. I have found with my scope Swaro AT65 and the Eagle Eye adaptor I haven't needed to zoom in at all - which is amazing. I haven't got much to show because the weather here until today has been frightful - but I am attaching the first picture I took - digi - that is on Anglesey at the weekend - and it was really windy and very difficult to keep the scope still. A few Dunlin and Knot arrived briefly and I managed this. (The rest -I pressed the video by mistake and flattened the battery. Andy I have got the battery charger but am waiting for an external battery pack. Where did yours come from? (Thanks for the recommendation of this camera too)

Attachments

• The first Contax.jpg
    The first Contax.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 168
At last have managed a digiscope pic,not very good,the sun was shining full on the lcd screen and I couldn't see athing,but not bad.I just hate that little plastic ring,and the fact one has to use the Eagle adaptor,which I cannot get on with at all.But anyway here are a couple of Heron pics.If I could use the LCE adaptor,and there was an alternative to the plastic filter ring this camera would be almost perfect,but not quite as clear as the Nikon,but as has been mentioned the extra pixel can seem to make a difference.

Attachments

• 1st Sept Herons 052.jpg
    1st Sept Herons 052.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 130
  • 1st Sept Herons 079.jpg
    1st Sept Herons 079.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 104
kim said:
. Andy I have got the battery charger but am waiting for an external battery pack. Where did yours come from? (Thanks for the recommendation of this camera too)
Hi Kim,
I think you can get the battery pack direct from Contax in the U.K. Maybe give them a ring to find out more precise details. Pennine cameras may also be able to supply it but not sure on that.
regards,
Andy

Paul,your images are perfect.Many thanks for the info re the settings etc,and yes Andy,thankyou for bringing this little camera to our attention.The thing which impresses me is the speed with which it sends images to the card,also the fast write up for several images at one go amazing.Kim,your pic is good ,very clear.Yes,as you say,the Contax is a camera for slipping into ones pocket,and all one needs to carry is the scope and tripod,but I do still like the 4500,and yes as everyone has said there is room for both cameras.Who knows,Contax may now come up with the ultimate in digiscoping cameras(no plastic ring, a little steadier on the scope) and show Nikon that they re wrong to discontinue the prod of the 4500 and likewise cameras.

christineredgate said:
At last have managed a digiscope pic,not very good,the sun was shining full on the lcd screen and I couldn't see athing,but not bad.I just hate that little plastic ring,and the fact one has to use the Eagle adaptor,which I cannot get on with at all.But anyway here are a couple of Heron pics.If I could use the LCE adaptor,and there was an alternative to the plastic filter ring this camera would be almost perfect,but not quite as clear as the Nikon,but as has been mentioned the extra pixel can seem to make a difference.
Hi Christine, lovely shots of the Heron.
Can you elaborate on why you cannot attach the L.C.E. adapter (maybe a photo or two to illustrate?). I have adapters of all sorts, including L.C.E., and they all fit, the contax with it's 28mm adapter is no different to a Nikon.
Cheers,
Andy

Andy,thanks,I sent for a LCE adptor especially for the Contax but was led to believe it would not fit,so have not tried it.I only have one plastic ring left and it is attached to the Eagle adaptor.If I can remove it will try the LCE,but may have to contact Pennine and ask if I can buy a couple more rings before I attempt to remove it.The last ring which cracked at the top,I could not remove and had to use a knife to break it off,but will have a try.Thanks again.

christineredgate said:
Andy,thanks,I sent for a LCE adptor especially for the Contax but was led to believe it would not fit,so have not tried it.I only have one plastic ring left and it is attached to the Eagle adaptor.If I can remove it will try the LCE,but may have to contact Pennine and ask if I can buy a couple more rings before I attempt to remove it.The last ring which cracked at the top,I could not remove and had to use a knife to break it off,but will have a try.Thanks again.
The only thing I can think of is a misunderstanding during your call to L.C.E... they may have thought you wanted to have an adapter that fitted a Contax scope...obviously there is no such thing so they would've said it wouldn't fit. Don't even mention Contax when talking to them, it will just confuse the issue, you just need a 28mm adapter that will fit a Nikon coolpix.

I still can't understand why you are breaking so many of these adapters ... I know they're plastic but I had my one on and off hundreds of times during the birdfair alone without mishap. Hopefully once you get your L.C.E. adapter you can leave the contax adapter permanently fitted to the L.C.E, just remove the L.C.E.+adapter in one go by rotating 90 degrees. If you really do find it necessary to remove the contax adapter from the L.C.E., then make sure you apply a bit of lubricant/wax to the threads before hand.

If the adapter is well stuck... get an object that will fit through the rectangular hole, but not too loose in the hole, and turn gently. Most times, just sticking your thumb into the aperture and turning will do the job.

Christine - Hi
Sp far I have not had any trouble with the adapter - but that's within limitations. Firstly I practised taking the hood on and off so that I felt confident of the movement - then went to the Eagle Eye. As I only use the Eagle Eye for the Contax I have left the adapter on it - and that works fine now. I have a different adaptor for the Coolpix. Having said that - I'll probably break mine today!!!!

Hi all
I have been following this thread with interest and have PM a couple of you with questions, thanks for the replies Andy and Christine.

Off possible interest Pennine are now including a voucher which you send of to Contax and in return you recieve a spare 128 memory card.

I have taken the plunge and ordered mine should be here next week (Pennine have had to re-order from Contax).

As with all these types of camera's the battery seems to be a problem. With my coolpix 995 I made up my own battery pack using AA nimh batteries and never had a problem they lasted ages before needing to be recharged.

Which leads me onto my question (you thought I'd never get there) can anyone tell me what the voltage required is and possibly the size, location, and type of the input plug for the external battery? Hopefully I can get one made up ready for when the camera arrives.

Many thanks

Peter

golfnut said:
Hi all

Which leads me onto my question (you thought I'd never get there) can anyone tell me what the voltage required is and possibly the size, location, and type of the input plug for the external battery? Hopefully I can get one made up ready for when the camera arrives.

Many thanks

Peter
Peter

Contax spec page. Its about 2 thirds of the way down.

http://www.contaxcameras.co.uk/digital/sl300rt/sl300rtspecification.asp

Alan thank you for your reply, now I don't mean to sound dumb but on reading the specs page am I right in thinking that the DC input plug is a mini usb plug?

Peter

Managed to get out today as the weather has improved to do a comparison. Took the same gull twice - both with Swaro but with Contax and Nikon 4500. Find the Nikon much easier to manage now with the DCB Makes it very easy to locate the bird quickly. (Nikon on the left)
I telephoned Contax today Andy and they say they do not make an external battery pack for the Contax - then referred me to Pennine. I had already rung them last week and they are going to produce one in the future.

Attachments

• Nikon Pennington Flash.jpg
    Nikon Pennington Flash.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 201
  • Contax Gull Pennington.jpg
    Contax Gull Pennington.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 176
kim said:
I telephoned Contax today Andy and they say they do not make an external battery pack for the Contax - then referred me to Pennine. I had already rung them last week and they are going to produce one in the future.
Hi Kim,
Again, I expect there may be some confusion. Contax make the Contax P-8 Power Pack, which will power the Contax sl300r but is not made specifically for this camera, but large Contax film cameras. Maybe the people you spoke to were not aware of this when you told them what camera you had ... I'm trying to be generous towards the people you spoke to ;)

Put Contax P-8 into Google and see the results (although I canot see any u.k. retail outlets)

Lovely shots of the gull, both look very similar to my eyes.
cheers,
Andy

golfnut said:
Alan thank you for your reply, now I don't mean to sound dumb but on reading the specs page am I right in thinking that the DC input plug is a mini usb plug?

Peter
Peter

After reading this properly, I don't think it says what connector type the A/C adaptor uses. What the line above is saying ( I think ):
Input/Output is a USB Mini B type connector, however, if its anything like my camera ( Canon A80 ), whilst connected via the USB to the PC it takes its power from the USB.

Can any of the Contax owners supply details of the connector on the A/C adapter to Peter?.

Last edited:
Andy Bright said:
...I expect there may be some confusion. Contax make the Contax P-8 Power Pack, which will power the Contax sl300r but is not made specifically for this camera, but large Contax film cameras.

Hi Andy,

Count me among the confused... The battery for the Contax sl300r is specified at 3.7 V, the P-8 (as well as the batteries for the cameras for which it was designed) is specified at 6 V. Is an additional adapter necessary? If not what am I missing? Can you use only 3 batteries in the pack?

Thanks,

Dalcio

Last edited:
dacol said:
Hi Andy,

Count me among the confused... The battery for the Contax sl300r is specified at 3.7 V, the P-8 (as well as the batteries for the cameras for which it was designed) is specified at 6 V. Is an additional adapter necessary? If not what am I missing? Can you use only 3 batteries in the pack?

Thanks,

Dalcio
Dunno, it works without smoke... and is safe to use on the camera according to Contax/Kyocera. Whilst the battery pack is plugged in, it also recharges the internal battery. Yep, 4 AA batteries. I wouldn't worry about it as long as the manufacturers say it's safe.

The external mains psu/charger supplied with the camera delivers 5v.

Someone asked about the power input plug... it's a standard one, but I couldn't tell you what size.

regards,
Andy

Andy Bright said:
Dunno, it works without smoke... and is safe to use on the camera according to Contax/Kyocera. Whilst the battery pack is plugged in, it also recharges the internal battery. Yep, 4 AA batteries. I wouldn't worry about it as long as the manufacturers say it's safe.

Thanks Andy for your prompt response.

Andy Bright said:
The external mains psu/charger supplied with the camera delivers 5v.

Ok, this is the missing piece of info! Makes it a bit easier to understand why the P-8 is safe to use with this camera.

Dalcio

Last edited:
Kim those pics are good,and I could not tell the difference between them.Re the filter ring,I have awful problems when it comes to unscrewing things and I find it fiddly to fit the adator ring onto the camera lens.But this evening I found the new LCE adator and have fitted my last filter ring,(have sent a cheque to Contax today for a couple of spares)I was unable to remove the one from the Eagle adaptor,so left well alone.Hopefully at the weekend will have a try with the LCE adaptor,I do find it much easier to attach to the scope.
Re the problem everyone seems to be having with batteries,yesterday I was using the Contax with all its modes of sending lots of shots at a time to the card and the battery did not lose any power at all.I took over 80 shots,half of which were on the constant 3 at a time and no power loss.So if they are charged with a separate charger as has already been mentioned they do seem to last reasonably well.But I do have a couple of the Euro battery replacements as a back up ,along with a second genuine Kyocera.
Yes ,Andy,I did try to remove the damaged filter ring,(it was split in the top corner) and had to use a knife to turn it with!!.No comment.I have sprayed some Mr Sheen on the this last one,but hope I do not need to remove it,and hope I do not damage it attaching to the camera!!

I bought the external charger from the site I posted earlier and the spare Kyocera battery from another site the Battery was from GoGo-Power £27-76 plus £4 postage and the charger from Inter Batterieswas £19-87 plus £4 postage---I was a little surprised when both came on the same day ini different envelopes from the same company interbatteries.co.uk ----the charger seems to work fine and seems well made and the genuine battery and the replacement fit well---they also sent me a nice bunch of flowers on an email!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back