• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The geese have arrived! (1 Viewer)

Silvershark

The wintering geese are arriving up here, seen numerous flocks heading south over the last few weeks - a LOT earlier than last year when it was mid-october before they started to appear! Read another thread that some other winter migrants have been appearing too...are we really set for a bad winter this year? Last year it was still glorious sunshine up here - T-shirt weather - now it's bordering on get out the hats and scarves!

Hi Kat.
It's good to hear that they are back, but I do hope that they are not the harbinger of a bad winter to come. If I'm right, they tend to leave their breeding grounds early because of cold weather there, and head for the warmer countries. Let's hope I'm not wrong.

All the best.
Baz.

Hi Kat, There has certainly been a drop in the temperature this week hasn't there! On a walk yesterday I wished I'd taken my gloves.

I shall look forward to seeing some of those goose flocks arriving soon then. There were far more Canadas on the pool yesterday, not sure where they've come from though. Can anyone tell me, do they migrate? Must confess I've a lot to learn about geese migration.

I'm particularly looking forward to the Whopper Swans arriving, hope to see some for the first time this winter.

Everyone seems to be saying its gonna be bad...but then they say that EVERY year :-O There's definately a wintery chill to the air though :eek!:

Hi Kat,good to hear from you!
Yes it's certainly been a chilly week here too with lots of Geese travelling over and reports of both Redwings and Fieldfares not too far away!
Personally I hope we do have a really cold winter....maybe it'll kill off a few of these nasty virus's and those disease carrying midges!:t:

Hi Kat,good to hear from you!
Yes it's certainly been a chilly week here too with lots of Geese travelling over and reports of both Redwings and Fieldfares not too far away!
Personally I hope we do have a really cold winter....maybe it'll kill off a few of these nasty virus's and those disease carrying midges!:t:

Thanks, it's good to be back :-O Will have to try and get on this forum much more!

Hi Kat
Thanks for the news, always good to get a tip off when they are moving down. I saw my first two Brent today, (treated to a flypast o:)o:) ), out at the estaury and boy were they a great sight to see..Not sure if it's weather related, hope not. I've seen some accounts of a better than normal breeding season which may lead to reduction in available food, forcing birds to move south that bit earlier.

Ray

Hi Kat,
Bordering? what do you mean bordering?....lol;) I'll have you know I had on my hat scarf and gloves yesterday...it was a mite chilly:) but I'm not complaining ~ it suits me just fine.
Havent seen anything coming over yet but I'll keep looking up

Best Wishes

Hi Kat,
Bordering? what do you mean bordering?....lol;) I'll have you know I had on my hat scarf and gloves yesterday...it was a mite chilly:) but I'm not complaining ~ it suits me just fine.
Havent seen anything coming over yet but I'll keep looking up

Best Wishes

You softie no need for the winter woolies just yet! :-O

Anyone know if redwings have arrived yet cause im waiting for them. I havent heard them calling during the night so far

i also hope its going to be a realy cold winter, last time it was really cold we had numerous short eared owls at a few really local sites! Incredible birds to see.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back