• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Troubador's Favourite Birds: 11 Snow Bunting Plectrophenax nivalis (1 Viewer)

Troubador

Staff member
Supporter
Each year in which we have visited the island of Islay in October/November, in the final week of our visit in early to mid-November, we keep an eye open for these beautiful little winter visitors, and rarely are we disappointed. Largely white and black, but with some brown on the mantle, that is especially noticeable as small patches on its ‘cheeks’, as a thin necklace across its upper breast, and as a cute ‘Mohican’ down the centre of its crown. Its bill seems a little deeper than its length would suggest and this, together with its plumage, makes it an eye-catching and distinctive species.

Sometimes we have been fortunate enough to encounter a small flock of them, but often we find just singletons, peering at us as inquisitively as the Wheatears did, from the tops of the same boulders, only a few weeks earlier.

Lee

I always take a small bag of seed with me when I head into the Cairngorms and travel above the snowline. These delightful birds are an absolute treat for the eyes as they flit to and fro! A true top 10 UK bird for me.

Finally got some decent close-ups near home in Lytham, previous photos I've had were from Cairngorm or Svalsbard

Attachments

• snow bunting showing off.JPG
    snow bunting showing off.JPG
    6.2 MB · Views: 2
  • snow bunting stretch.JPG
    snow bunting stretch.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 2
  • snow bunting wing stretch.JPG
    snow bunting wing stretch.JPG
    7.1 MB · Views: 1
  • snow bunting.JPG
    snow bunting.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 2
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back