• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Last Stand of the English Red Squirrel, and my Red Squirrel Quest.... (1 Viewer)

Alan Hobson said:
Bill,

Many thanks for your interesting contribution - another thriving colony of Reds is always good news, particularly when it is one holding out among Greys.

However, puzzingly I couldn't find anything about the Reds on the website you gave - a lot about birds [which, as we are talking about this on Bird Forum, I suppose we can't complain about!], insects, etc., but not about Reds. I looked quite hard, but it must be tucked away somewhere. You'd have thought they would highlight it more - glad you did in your posting, though!

Alan

Alan,

You could try emailing Colin Davies via the 'Contact Us' link on the site - I'm sure he'd advise you.

saluki

Here's another interesting post on Red squirrels in St Helens and in Wigan. It was sent to me via BF as an e-mail reply, but the writer, Nigel, is happy for me to put it on as a post:

I was very interested to read the post on red squirrels in Wigan. I believe these squirrels may have originated from Liverpool. A few years ago, the BBC programme 'Country File' featured an item on some red squirrels which had colonised the grounds of an inner city hospital at Fazakerley, Liverpool. These squirrels which were thought to have come from Formby, were living alongside the resident grey squirrels. Initially, five reds were thought to be the founding population, but the population had increased to 55 at the time of the programme. The various persons interviewed on the programme thought these particular red squirrels had acquired an immunity to the deadly para-pox virus, which might explain how they were co-existing with the greys. Anyway, they have since dispersed into other parks in Liverpool, and more recently (since 2001) they have been sighted in St Helens. This must be a unique occurence - though I have read of red and grey squirrels co-existing in pa! rts of Scotland and Fermanagh in Ireland . Look up the website of the St Helens Wildlife Recording Group this gives details of sightings and locations.

Yours sincerely
Nigel Joyce

MarkHows said:
Have all the norfolk Red Squirrels died out or are there any pockets left?

Mark

Hi Mark,

See post 20 earlier in the thread for Norfolk. No wild Reds there except the reintroductions in Thetford Forest - and even they are very few in number. Since the post 20 discussion on this thread, I found out from the wildlife rangers there that there were only three sightings from Thetford for the whole of 2004 [and they were actually from the Suffolk side of the forest!].

Alan

Alan Hobson said:
Bill,

Many thanks for your interesting contribution - another thriving colony of Reds is always good news, particularly when it is one holding out among Greys.

However, puzzingly I couldn't find anything about the Reds on the website you gave - a lot about birds [which, as we are talking about this on Bird Forum, I suppose we can't complain about!], insects, etc., but not about Reds. I looked quite hard, but it must be tucked away somewhere. You'd have thought they would highlight it more - glad you did in your posting, though!

Alan
Hi Alan

Sorry for the delay in replying. It turns out that the website was recently updated and the red squirrel info that was there has probably gone. As Saluki says contact Colin Davies he's the man!

Best Regards

Alan Hobson said:
But the quest, as I indicated in some earlier threads, will expand to cover the British Isles/United Kingdom. Now, can I get a work trip to Jersey........

Save yourself the trip: the Channel Islands are not in UK or the British Isles. A nice place to visit, all the same, I'm sure.

Another interesting insight from Nigel Joyce [see also post 142] on Reds making a bit of a comeback in some areas:

According to Stirling Council red squirrels are re-establishing themselves throughout the Stirling Council Area. They have re-colonised areas such as Killearn and Carron Valley Forest from the 1980's onwards, despite the presence of grey squirrels. It seems constant retreat is not always inevitable. However, as is often the case with the red squirrel, good news is countered by bad. Several parapox infected grey squirrels have recently been identified in the Scottish borders. These grey squirrels are thought to originate from Cumbria. The original grey squirrel stock in Scotland was introduced from Canada and did not carry the pox virus.

Nigel Joyce

I thought it was about time I posted another update, as quite a few of you asked me to keep the thread informed of new developments.

Good and bad news from Cumbria. Good news first. When I went to Haweswater for my annual trip to see the magnificent Golden Eagle [it is still doing impressive display flights in the forlorn hope of attracting a mate] I went searching for Red Squirrels as well. I found a couple in a small wood near Haweswater, even though Greys have been reported just a few miles up the road. These Reds looked healthy and in splendid isloation, without a Grey anywhere around.

What I was also pleased about is that I saw them in a completely natural environment, rather than at a feeding station somewhere (fun though seeing them at feeding stations is, it feels more of an achievement seeing them at large, unaided, especially as they can be elusive!).

The bad news, however, is that there is a report that in parts of Cumbria where they were common until very recently, Reds are starting to disappear fast - even from some of the areas given by BF'ers earlier on this thread, as good places to see Reds, in 2004 and 2005.

Has anyone seen Sept BBC Wildlife magazine because there is a contriversial article in it about the spread of greys (I wont go into it now as I do not have the copy with me and would not do it justice) but it is a compelling veiwpoint saying that we should just let greys have their way.

mothman said:
Has anyone seen Sept BBC Wildlife magazine because there is a contriversial article in it about the spread of greys (I wont go into it now as I do not have the copy with me and would not do it justice) but it is a compelling veiwpoint saying that we should just let greys have their way.

I read it last night and his arguement of creating Island sanctuarys, leaving the mainland population to either die out or recover on it's own was very compelling. I don't believe we are in a position to eradicate or even control the grey in sufficient quantities for it to be worth it.

Richard D said:
I read it last night and his arguement of creating Island sanctuarys, leaving the mainland population to either die out or recover on it's own was very compelling. I don't believe we are in a position to eradicate or even control the grey in sufficient quantities for it to be worth it.
Yes it was interesting and as I recall he points out that all the criticisims leveled at greys(tree destruction egg thevery etc) were also leveled at reds when they were in large numbers across the country.

Several earlier posts have referred to Lake District sites. I used to see Reds (mid 1990s) on a caravan site just north of Torver (Little Arrow), and also at Friars Crag on Derwentwater last time I was there (1999ish), but that was early morning, before the daytrippers......

Tim Hall said:
Several earlier posts have referred to Lake District sites. I used to see Reds (mid 1990s) on a caravan site just north of Torver (Little Arrow), and also at Friars Crag on Derwentwater last time I was there (1999ish), but that was early morning, before the daytrippers......

Thanks Tim. I'm intending visiting Derwentwater at some point, so I'll have a look there.

Any recent Cumbria reports will be welcomed - do post them on here.

Good news from Scottish Highlands. On my recent trip up there, as my BF thread "Captivated by the Cairngorms and Seduced by the Shetland Isles" mentions, I saw several Reds in the Rothiemurcus and Glenmore Forest areas without having to try hard at all. They are still doing very well there, as my own sightings and sightings by many others up there help to indicate.

You'll be lucky to see reds at Derwentwater but it's not impossible. Haven't heard of them at Friars for some time.

Reds are probably easiets to see at Centerparcs near Penrith and in the forest here at Greystoke (north of Penrith). The (closed) osprey viewing point at Whinlatter overlooking Bassenthwaite might be a possibility. If you'd like more details of where to see them send me a PM please.

There are a number of less common places which would require some patience but I'm pleased to say they're hanging on at the moment thanks to the efforts of locals who are shooting the advancing greys.

Martin

Alan Hobson said:
Thanks Tim. I'm intending visiting Derwentwater at some point, so I'll have a look there.

Any recent Cumbria reports will be welcomed - do post them on here.

Last edited:
Martin Thomas said:
Reds are probably easiets to see at Centerparcs near Penrith and in the forest here at Greystoke (north of Penrith). The (closed) osprey viewing point at Whinlatter overlooking Bassenthwaite might be a possibility. If you'd like more details of where to see them send me a PM please.

Martin

Lowther Holiday park just south of Penrith is very good for reds.

The Osprey watchpoint is top class all the time as the RSPB put down seed and nuts year round. I have been in all seasons and had several squirrels every time.

John

Stewart J. said:
Link to an article published in our local paper about the feeding station at Keilder Castle :- The Hexham Courant

Stewart

Whilst the Wark and Kielder Forests are still 'Red' strongholds, 'Greys' are being seen in the area. I've seen them in the vicinity of Kielder Water since 1997. Only in small numbers, but they're present never the less.

Harry

At Kielder there is a red squirrel hide at the Leaplish visitor centres. During the Springwatch weekend we went on a red squirrel walk there. Of course we didn't see any with all the people there, but saw lots of the signs. One thing I hadn't known about was looking for the shoot tips under the conifers where they drop them after eating the tastiest bit.
They also have some at Hawkhirst, the Scout activity centre there. We camped there and I think I glimpsed one in one of the wooden shelters, and we also found some signs under trees, but didn't see any others.

Reds and greys in Cumbria

I stand a reasonably good chance of seeing reds every time I go out here as I spend lots of time in different woods all over Cumbria.

I'm increasingly seeing greys too though, and saw one in the Thirlmere valley (a designated red squirrel reserve) for the first time yesterday, in the grounds of the Lakeside Hotel.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back