• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Oligocene fossil avifauna of the Parc du Luberon (1 Viewer)

Fred Ruhe

Netherlands
Anaïs Duhamel & Antoine Louchart, 2021

A look at the Oligocene fossil avifauna of the Parc du Luberon and its paleobiological implications, incorporating new fossil data

INTRODUCTION

Les calcaires en plaquettes (Formation des Calcaires de Campagne-Calavon) de l’Oligocène inférieur du Luberon (Rupélien, biozone MP23, 31–30 Ma ; nombreuses localités autour de Céreste, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence ; Cavelier, 1984 ; Ducreux et al. , 1985 ; Escarguel et al. , 1997 ; Sigé & Hugueney, 2006) figurent parmi les sites fossilifères importants pour les oiseaux dans le Paléogène français. En effet, cette formation riche en poissons, insectes, et plantes, comprend également des tétrapodes, bien moins fréquents, parmi lesquels les oiseaux sont rares mais dont la préservation est souvent exceptionnelle, comme l’ensemble des fossiles du Parc. Ainsi, la plupart des oiseaux de cette formation sont des squelettes entiers ou presque, et le plus souvent les os sont en articulation, et préservés en trois dimensions avec peu ou pas d’écrasement. Cette qualité de préservation concerne les autres organismes également, faisant des Calcaires de Campagne-Calavon un Konservatlagerstätte*. Des détails de plumage très précis sont parfois préservés aussi, grâce à la finesse du calcaire, comparable aux calcaires lithographiques à Archaeopteryx de Bavière (Allemagne, Jurassique supérieur). Etonnamment, le nombre limité de spécimens (moins de 30) représente un nombre presque aussi grand d’espèces différentes, appartenant à des familles très diverses. Il en ressort la possibilité de déterminer précisément ces fossiles, qui se révèlent souvent être les plus anciens représentants de familles actuelles. Les espèces identifiées permettent de contribuer à reconstituer le paléoenvironnement de cette région il y a près de 30 millions d’années, aux côtés des autres organismes. Elles peuvent être placées dans la phylogénie des oiseaux modernes, dont les nœuds les plus anciens ont été résolus récemment par la phylogénomique (cf. Kuhl et al., 2021, et références incluses). Ostéologiquement, certaines espèces représentées dans les Calcaires de Campagne-Calavon sont très proches de genres actuels, attestant d’une origine ancienne de morphologies modernes. Enfin, dans plusieurs cas, ces fossiles appartiennent à des groupes aurd’hui absents d’Europe, et actuellement tropicaux et/ou américains. Cela révèle des histoires paléobiogéographiques particulières, en lien avec la paléogéographie et l’histoire climatique mondiale. Ces différents aspects sont ici passés en revue, soulignant l’intérêt exceptionnel de cette région dans la connaissance de l’histoire évolutive des oiseaux. Cette synthèse est basée sur l’ensemble des travaux publiés et aussi sur des données inédites.

Enjoy,

Fred

Fig. 1 : Moulage (UCBL-FSL-367903) du passereau de Vachères, Oligocène inférieur, anciennement collection Loggia (Tableau 1 dans l’article). Ce passereau remarquable est un Suboscines (sp. B) différent de trois autres Suboscines de la formation, et l’un des deux seuls complets avec le Tyrannida de Revest-des-Brousses.

Attachments

• Suboscines.jpg
    Suboscines.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Fig. 2: Six nouveaux spécimens d’oiseaux fossiles des « Calcaires de Campagne-Calavon », Oligocène inférieur du Luberon.
A : cf. Primotrogon sp. B. (Trogonidae) NT-LBR-042, de Pichovet (Vachères), partie postérieure du squelette, vue dorsale ; NB : la patte gauche est en vue latérale.
B : cf. Oscines* basal (Passeriformes sp. C) UCBL-FSL-444668, de Revest-des-Brousses, patte droite en vue médiale.
C : cf. Passeriformes/Zygodactylidae NT-LBR-043, de Limans, bec en vue ventrale (mandibule masquant en partie la maxilla).
D : Passeriformes (sp. D) NT-LBR-044, de Limans, patte gauche en vue médiale.
E : cf. Zygodactylidae sp. B UCBL-FSL-444669, de Limans, aile droite en vue dorsale.
F : Zygodactylus cf. luberonensis UCBL-FSL-444670, de Pichovet (Vachères), patte gauche en vue médiale et pelvis en vue ventrale. cmc : carpométacarpe, ch :
crista medialis hypotarsi, cp : crista medialis plantaris, f : plume, fem : fémur, hum : humérus, mdb : mandibule, om : os metacarpale minus, pal : palatins, pel :
pelvis, pi : processus intermetacarpalis, pmx : prémaxillaire, rad : radius, ta : trochlea accessoria à la trochlée IV, tbt : tibiotarse, tmt : tarsométatarse, uln : ulna,
II : 1 : phalange alaire 1 du doigt II, II : 2 : phalange alaire 2 du doigt III, III : 1 : phalange alaire 1 du doigt III, I : doigt I de la patte, II : doigt II de la patte,
III : doigt III de la patte, IV : doigt IV de la patte, D : côté droit, G : côté gauche (pour le trogon (A)). Barres d’échelle : 10 mm.
A, C, D : Crédits Nicolas Tourment.

Attachments

• Luberon.jpg
    Luberon.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 5
Please post in English.
Well.

What nonsence is this? The paper is in French, I see no reason to translate it. If I could translate it, so can you and I guess for you it is much more easy to translate it to your mother tongue then it is for me to translate a foreign language to another foreign language, I can't help it you didnot study french, in our land you learn 4 languages, at least for a couple of years (Dutch, English, German and French), mostly wasted on me.

Fred

Because Birdforum is an English language forum and the rule is there to post in English ... forum would soon disintegrate if folk started to post in whatever language they wish.
If you read my post, you see my reasons why I used French: the paper is in French and it is better that English speaking people translate it in their language then that I, not a native English speaking person, and neither a native French speaking person, translates it, that doen't make sence. Rules have nothing to do with it. If you want to critizise me, critizise my arguments.

Fred

Last edited:
Why the stir, guys?

To me, the very start of it; A look at the Oligocene fossil avifauna of the Parc du Luberon and its paleobiological implications, incorporating new fossil data ... looks fairly English. :rolleyes:

Fred, you should have kept the Résumé part instead of Introduction, and put it all in a quote (box/boxes), making it impossible for anyone accusing you (yourself) of writing/posting in French.

Maybe with an added: "(all) in French"

Keep up the Good Work!

/B

Last edited:
Why the stir, guys?

To me, the very start of it; A look at the Oligocene fossil avifauna of the Parc du Luberon and its paleobiological implications, incorporating new fossil data ... looks fairly English. :rolleyes:

Fred, you should have kept the Résumé part instead of Introduction, and put it all in a quote (box/boxes), making it impossible for anyone accusing you (yourself) of writing/posting in French.

Maybe with an added: "(all) in French"

Keep up the Good Work!

/B
That is true, but I only now found the English abstract, I overlooked it!

TITLE
A look at the Oligocene fossil avifauna of the Parc du Luberon and its paleobiological implications, incorporating new fossil data.

ABSTRACT

The Early Oligocene limestone formation called Calcaires de Campagne-Calavon in the Luberon region increases noticeably the world fossil record of birds, for several reasons. First, the fossil birds “on plate” found in this formation are particularly well preserved and complete or near-complete for most of them. Moreover, the fossil birds from the Parc du Luberon are particularly interesting for the systematic diversity they represent: a minimum of 26 different species for less than 30 wellidentified specimens, corresponding to at least 18 different families, which is a high representativeness. In addition, these specimens are often the earliest known representatives of their respective families worldwide (or more inclusive taxa). These
fossils are therefore of prime importance, notably for the estimation of divergence ages of certain bird taxa (molecular clock calibration), and more generally to better apprehend the evolution of morphology and of geographical distribution of birds since the Oligocene. These fossils also yield clues about paleoenvironments 30 million years ago in the region. All these aspects of research are reviewed here, based on published works as well as on original data, incorporating six new fossils.

Keywords : Diversity, Evolution, Fossil birds, Oligocene, Paleobiogeography, Paleobiology, Paleoclimates, Paleoenvironments.

Fred

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back