• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The truth about binocular warranties (U.S.) (1 Viewer)

I do not know about you but I like to send most of my optical and mechanical instruments for a CLA every 5-6 years

I have some Zeiss that are 30+ years old, look like new and have never been serviced.

Nor will I send them off for fear of getting them back in less than ideal condition. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I have some Zeiss that are 30+ years old, look like new and have never been serviced.

Nor will I send them off for fear of getting them back in less than ideal condition. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

don't the lube in the bino change consistency after 30 years ?

James:

I agree with you here, if it is not broke, don't send it off for anything.

Jerry

I like to keep my instruments in a optimum condition , If something feels rough ,it maybe too late; something may have grind on each other and even after servicing they may not be the same.

I like to keep my instruments in a optimum condition , If something feels rough ,it maybe too late; something may have grind on each other and even after servicing they may not be the same.

Joe:

What are your primary binocular choices, and which have you sent in for
this kind of service?

Jerry

Joe:

What are your primary binocular choices, and which have you sent in for
this kind of service?

Jerry

I did not say binoculars ,my binoculars are relatively new. But I was talking about my other insrtuments like my leica ,nikon lenses and mechanical cameras and other assortments of mechanical objects. I have a six month old Nikon SE and a Victory HT coming today.

Last edited:
I did not say binoculars ,my binoculars are relatively new. But I was talking about my other insrtuments like my leica ,nikon lenses and mechanical cameras and other assortments of mechanical objects. I have a six month old Nikon SE and a Victory HT coming today.

I would love to try the new Victory HT ! If I go to Singapore, any chances we can meet ?

In Holland all new Zeiss products come with a 3 times total check up warranty. So whenever the customer wants he/she can send his optics in for a total cleaning/Nitrogine/lubricant refreshment within the warranty period. Free of costs.
Jan

In Holland all new Zeiss products come with a 3 times total check up warranty. So whenever the customer wants he/she can send his optics in for a total cleaning/Nitrogine/lubricant refreshment within the warranty period. Free of costs.
Jan

Very nice, in Singapore I am not sure about zeiss but for leica and swaro we will have to pay the distro 300-500 dollars for shipping and servicing.

Last edited:
You mean, when your bin breaks down you have to pay that amount and/or on the occasion when you want your bin beeing serviced.
BTW Singapore has a beautifull zoo!
Jan

Maybe I did not express myself clearly enough.
Say you own a SV and the focussing knob brakes down. According to some BF members here that's seems to happen (?) once in a thousand years, so that is a clear warranty case and still you have to pay for freight? Is there no dealer in Singapore who takes care of that?
Jan

Maybe I did not express myself clearly enough.
Say you own a SV and the focussing knob brakes down. According to some BF members here that's seems to happen (?) once in a thousand years, so that is a clear warranty case and still you have to pay for freight? Is there no dealer in Singapore who takes care of that?
Jan

Yes you have to pay for freight for warranty issues and servicing issues. Whether it be within warranty period.

Jan

Jan

Thats a really nice service deal. Pity its a Netherlands-only promotion by the importer.

Lee

Lee,
And they extended the warranty period to 25 years in stead of the 10 years from Zeiss.
I wonder, why the f... differences all over the world.
Jan

Yes you have to pay for freight for warranty issues and servicing issues. Whether it be within warranty period.

I believe you, but it's hard to understand. Let me give you an example of warranty service as we know it:
A couple on honeymoon from New Zealand came to us with an broken bin. We took it in, gave them an other (same) one, sent the broken one in for repair, we got a new pair, the broken one was (after repairs) send to the dealer in New Zealand where the bins were switched after the honeymoons.
No costs attached.
That's the service with a big S from.....
I really can't imagine when you buy a bin from the authorised dealer in Singapore, you got stuck up with the freight costs when you have a solid warranty issue.
But I do believe you.
Makes you wonder, why all those differences?

Jan

I believe you, but it's hard to understand. Let me give you an example of warranty service as we know it:
A couple on honeymoon from New Zealand came to us with an broken bin. We took it in, gave them an other (same) one, sent the broken one in for repair, we got a new pair, the broken one was (after repairs) send to the dealer in New Zealand where the bins were switched after the honeymoons.
No costs attached.
That's the service with a big S from.....
I really can't imagine when you buy a bin from the authorised dealer in Singapore, you got stuck up with the freight costs when you have a solid warranty issue.
But I do believe you.
Makes you wonder, why all those differences?

Jan

Dealer's low volume in sales and extremely high running cost in singapore for swaro but I think for Leica this is unexcusable, they have great sales and their price is at least 1/4 more expensive than the rest of the world or at least HK and the states.

Last edited:
That is an non issue.
There are no freight costs. It's all calculated within the purchage price.
Tell me if the things are different in Singapore, but as far as I know everything is organised the same world wide.
Fort example: The former importer/agent for Leica in Holland bullshitted his customers from Amsterdam to Tokyo and backwords. When a retailer sends in a broken bin to him he billed for inspectioncosts. "Oh, Gjee yes it's broken I have to send it to Solms. For that inspection I have to charge you 12.50 euro's. And now I have to send in on insurance freight and that costs you even more. And when it comes back I have to do the same vice versa".
What in fact happened: He collected once in a month a box and send it to Solms.
Thank God these days are over with the new distributor. No inspection and/or freight costs.
The distributor, who collects the broken bins, has to send them anyway and it is on a bulk strategy and not one by one.
I can imagine that the purchage price of an Leica, Zeiss or Swarovski are different in the continents, because they have to consider the different cost rates, but in the end it is all in that purchage price for that continent.
Jan

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back