• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thorn apples (1 Viewer)

cjay

My friend Colin came to tell me he had found 300 plants, which in his words smelt very strong & poisonous bordering a carrot field. along at Bawdsey near Woodbridge I said they probably belong to the genus Solanum that is a member of the potato family & identified them as either Apple of Peru or more likely Thorn Apple. I told him I would appreciate a sample in order to correctly identify it.

The sample duly arrived in a bucket along with one plant in fruit. The fruit looked for all the world like a small conker, which confirmed my identification as a Thorn Apple. It is an uncommon alien from many temperate & sub-tropical parts of the Northern Hemisphere& seeds can remain dormant for many years however when they do emerge as plants they can grow in very large numbers. They are more abundant during very hot dry summers like we are experiencing this year. The flowers are large & trumpet like & usually white. In Colin’s specimen they were mauve.

I have seen then growing on allotments in Lowestoft but rarely elsewhere in Lowestoft itself. Most records in Suffolk come from sandy coastal sites as in this case.
I was grateful for this diversion from my back pain & disappointed I could not visit the site myself.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back