• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tips for Madrid Birding (1 Viewer)

Alexjh1

I've just got a trip booked for 5 nights in Madrid with my girlfriend at the beginning of next month, and will inevitably do some birding, and was wondering if anyone could offer any advice.

I have done some birding in Spain before (around the Seville area) but not during the Summer, and so my Spain specific species list is fairly limited (Lesser Kestrel, Spotless Starling, Common Waxbill, Zitting Cisticola, Crested Lark, Sardinian Warbler, Flamingo, White Stork, Cattle Egret) although if I happen to get better views of those species of that list that are around Madrid, I certainly won't complain, but they aren't targets.

Given the 4 days whole days we have, I think my sole birding day would probably be to El Pardo (unless anyone can suggest an affordable guide which includes travel or an equally reachable alternative?) as that seems to have the biggest concentration of my biggest targets - Eagles, Vultures and Bee-eaters out of the available option - possible getting there by walking up the Manzanares to see if we can see anything along the way.

Additionally, while I'd definitely be interested in seeing *any* new species, Scops and Eagle Owls, Black Stork, Bustards, Sandgrouse, Purple Swamphen, Iberian Azure Winged Magpie, Wheatears, Swifts other than common etc would be particularly interesting.

But, equally so, there are a bunch of species found in Britain but all over the place and thus expensive and difficult to get all of that I would be very interested in collecting in a city where they are all present, specifically - Serin, Cirl Bunting, Montagu's Harrier, Crested Tit, Wryneck, Golden Oriole, Crossbill (widespread I know, just a bogey bird for me :p), Honey Buzzard and Goshawk.

The other days there probably won't be any specific birding, but our hotel is right near Parque del Retiro, so if anything can be seen there of note a little diversion could be arranged, and we were also planning a day trip to Toledo, of which I haven't managed to find out much birding info?

We won't have a car (as usual, which makes getting to birding sites a bit more difficult) but hopefully can get by by walking and public transport?

Thanks in advance for any help!

I don't know about any of your new species, but a day trip to Segovia (train or bus) would combine interesting birdwatching with great sightseeing.

Hello Alex, I'm a Madrid resident, and very active birder.
Off the top of my head, a quick list of the species and places I have under control:

Like you say, Pardo and Manzanares: G. Vulture, Spanish Imperial Eagle, Buzzards, Goshawk, Sparrowhawk, Serin, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, GS Woodpecker, Green Woodpecker, On the river part: King Fisher, Night Heron, Cetis Warbler, Citting Cisticola, Coots, Mallards (obvious), Moorhen. And in the afternoon, near the olive grove of the old palace: little owl, nightjar and tawny owl.

Parque Regional del Sureste/Rivas: Just on exit 19 from the A3 highway, a small lagoon sits between the conjunction of the Jarama and Manzanares River. Wooded river banks, open spaces, reeds and water, I was there five days ago and saw: Black Kite; Bee-aters, White Stork, Purple Gallinule, Grebes, Garganey, red-crested pochard, nightingales, european turtle dove, grey heron, purple heron, cormorants

There are two locations which, last time I visited (still in april, I'm afraid, a lot will have changed by june) were very interesting, and close to each other: one is a high plateau of wheat fields, the other an artificial lake:
The fields between Talamanca del jarama and Valdetorres del jarama, host some of the highest european concentration of Great Bustards (I have never failed to see them on all my visits), along with Little Bustards, Hen and Monatgu's Harriers, Sand Grouse and of course all the LBJ that are always present in this landscape.
On the other side of the A1 highway, on exit 50, 8 or so KM to the west of the highway is the Vellon/Pedrezuela artificial reservoir: last visit, again in april, however I'll list my sightings: gadwall,shoveler, garganey, pochard, last of a small group of ferruginous duck, and all the classics (grey heron, black winged stilt, Little ringed plover), and on the edges, Subalpine Warbler, Sardinian Warbler and Dartford Warbler.

There are also many other places:
-the Holm Oak prairies (dehesas) near Alpedrete, on the way up to Navacerrada, where an early or late stroll will provide easy sightings of little owl, cuckoo and GS cuckoo, rollers.
-The area around Guadarrama National Parl provides good and easy sightings of Black and G. Vulture (the easy hike from El Paular Monastery to The Purgatorio Waterfall, for example is a good oak forest walk, where aside from birds of prey, all sorts of tits, finches, wagtails, nuthatch, tree creepers and even LS Woodpecker can be seen)
Meco's church for lesser kestrel and Meco-Lagoon for wryneck and waders (the lagoon was formed about 10 years ago, accidentaly when a wide but shallow stone quary, excavated for building a nearby road was left abandoned; y chance the ZARA (clothes) factory rain draining system ended up flowing into the massive hole, and created a significantly large and quaint lagoon)

All this, like I say, off the top of my head. Sorry for the mess, the weird phrasing sometimes, but I've written it looking at notes, over the morning, and have not really composed the thing well. In any case, I hope it helps, and if you want, we can carry on talking, and I can give you better tips, specific routes or walks, and tell you about birding spots within the city (it's quite a green city, and offers very good birding opportunities, although in truth, winter and spring are the better moments)
Hope this was of help.
There might even be a chance of me having some time off at the start of june, so if I was to plan any short trip around Madrid, I could let you know if you are interested.
Take care.

Have visited Madrid regularly over the years and always visited the Laguna del Campillo to the south-east of the city (https://goo.gl/maps/mTHZr). Easy to access by public transport - take the Metro to Rivas-Vaciamadrid and then walk south along the road to the lake. There is a trail around the lake and a visitor centre in the south-east corner. Take plenty of water as there are no shops. There is a steam train running near the lake, but can't find a link to operating hours atm.

Birds include Serin + Rock Sparrow along the cliffs, Bee-eater + Booted Eagle and other raptors flying over, White Stork nesting at the Metro Station and Little Bittern + Penduline Tit in the marshy areas.

The Laguna del Campillo is also within the Paruqe Regional del Sureste/Rivas, but I tend to prefer the other lagoon (where Jarama and Manzanares join), the landscape ir more diverse, there are good views of fields and farmland, and not having the visitor centre, there is a tendecny for less group or school visits raising up the volume and human poluation.
P.D, and agree with other posters, both Cuenca and Segovia are beautiful cities, well worth the visit.

Thanks for all the advice, a lot of great stuff to go on here! I've booked a half day tour with Luis Sitges (Birding Trek and Nature) to go looking for Steppe birds in the Jarama area- that seemed like the batch of species which was least achievable without being familiar with the area and/or having our own transport. Hopefully that should set me up for a good chunk of my list!

All of those historic town day trips look great, but we will probably only be able to do one of the three options, Toledo, Cuenca or Segovia - if you had to pick one which would you go for (accounting for both general day trip quality for history, food, sights etc and birding), and what bird species would be readily available at each?

Also, to pick a small number out of the species that I'm not specifically expecting at El Pardo or the Jarama trip, how doable are the following in the centre of the City, preferably near noteworthy landmarks?
- Bee-eater
- Golden Oriole
- Scops Owl
- Crested Tit
- Wryneck

Thanks again for all the help!

In the centre, near landmarks, green areas (that are still green, which means sprinklers)
Retiro
Parque del Oeste
I'm afraid Wryneck, Golden Oriole are almost impossible, I have never once seen them within the city.
Bee-eaters, come and go, I've seen them in Retiro and Parque del Oeste, but rarely, and more often have heard their joyous calls.
Crested Tits live in most parks, but with spring and leaves and dense shrubery, they are much harder to see; but they are verty present in parks such as Parque del Oeste.
Scops Owl: they are certainly present, in many places, including gardened squares, open air sport centres and obviousley parks. This year I have 2 identified in my neighbourhood... have however only heard them.

If you want a sure sighting of Bee-eater, then Rivas-Parque sureste or Pardo (river walk) are def, the places. Like I said, I go out severall times a week, (I'm trying to catch a glimpse of the Night Heron I've seen other years on the Manzanares trail in El Pardo), so if you're interested you can tag along for a late afternoon walk (its a 10 minute drive if the traffic is OK)

Regarding Cuenca, Toledo and Segovia:
as an outsider, not a Castilian, I can say that it's hard to say.
All three are very well preserved medieval spaces.
Toledo has the most sights, including medieval mosques and synagogues, cathedrals, convents, gates, walls, and quite a few areas that feel like a stroll through the 15th century. A jewish quarter, tunnels passages, and a lot of very obvious history. It is a city aware of its heritage, and it shows.
Segovia has an amazing roman acqueduct, gothic cathedral, and a few lovely streets that head up tp the castle, flanked by romanesque churches and palaces. The landscape, amazing in spring, is now a bit dry, but the town is surrounded by gorges and has a view of the Sierra the Guadarrama mountains.
Cuenca is a little gem, that might not boast as many landmarks and sights, but has a lot of rural charm, and is set in the middle of a limestone canyon. Again it is built upon a hill, has amazing hanging buildings and dark, winding medieval streets. The cathedral square has quite a lot of traffic, killing part of the beauty.
Segovia and Toledo must be an hour away by public transport, Cuenca a little bit further.
Animals: Cuenca feels very much like a town in the mountains, as does the older part of Segovia; cliffs, open spaces, fileds all around: you will easily see birds of prey.
Toledo is larger, more built up, but one of its sides is also open up towards a massive and wild river canyon (Tajo, the same river that ploughs through Monfrague and embraces the Atlantic in Lisbon).
It's hard to choose... Sorry for making the decision more complicated, but I really can't say any of them is just okay. I suppose in order of things to see: Toledo, Segovia, Cuenca.
If it's any consolation, when my mother in law has visited, the order has been: Toledo, then Segovia and not yet Cuenca.

Yes, we have them, as well as Alpine swifts. Griffon vulture and black kite are surely seen from the city, and probably also booted eagle, short-toed eagle and egyptian vulture (in this order). There is also a pair of peregrine falcons nesting around but this year are somewhat elusive. Blue rock thrush is also easy to see

If you're lucky, from mid-June it also is possible to see Eleanora's falcon, they congregate a few kilometers away from the city and sometimes you can spot them flying over the gorges. Last year the first falcons were seen on 16th june and stayed around for a month, more or less.

There are a numbers of walks starting from the town inside the gorges, both atop them or alongside the river, offering good opportunities for small birds (crested tit included)

Golden orioles can be heard along the river within the town (as well as scops owl). Bee-eaters are already around the countryside, but it is more difficult to see them inside the city.

As a bonus you can see also otter spraints in river Júcar inside the city (the otters themselves are not easily seen)

I have long wanted to go to Cuenca. Do you have red-billed choughs roosting in the city / gorge?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back