• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Today Massachusetts USA ID please? (1 Viewer)

crazyfingers

Hi I don't know what this bird is. After about 5 days with this bird singing all day long hidden in leaved out trees and many hours failing to even find it, this morning it finally showed itself on dead twig! The direction of the sun was really bad so I've tried to adjust contrast, etc.. to get some details out. Any ideas?

IMG_0869a.JPGIMG_0880a.JPGIMG_0880b.JPGIMG_0881a.JPGIMG_0882a.JPG

House Wren? Seems to be pretty close to what I see here. House Wren Overview, All About Birds, Cornell Lab of Ornithology

The song is very similar to the recording though it is shorter. The middle of the song is snorter. I can actually hear it right now from inside my house and listen to the recordings at the same time.

In terms of behavior the description suggests that they like low bushes and such. Though for the one (or more) that are in my yard, the singing is mostly taking place very high up in the trees.

I need better photos.

Certainly a wren, and house wren seems nearly certain from what we can see: Carolina would have a visible white eye-stripe. They can be frustrating to photograph, despite their noisiness making them fairly easy to find. They'll go for higher, more open perches when singing their hardest, but they often don't stay on one perch for long.

Thanks all. While a crappy photo, it's a first photo for me so I can add it to my list of birds that I have personally taken a photo of and put it into my PowerPoint. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back