• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Toronto, Canada and surrounding areas. (1 Viewer)

Colin

Axeman (Retired)
England
Can anyone suggest some birding spots in about a 250 mile radius of Toronto. I hope to be going there on business in about September and should have a couple of days or so free. I will be motorised so getting about should be of little problem. Any information on birds and locations as well as other aspects of natural history, e.g. mammals would also be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Long Point is good

the 'island' in Toronto City is worth a visit.

Algonquin Park to the north is a must... Moose, Beavers, Spruce Grouse, divers, great ducks etc...

it's a 'big' place, so worth stopping at any lakeside, woodside etc. A lovely place.

Niels,
Thanks for the link. That looks a good website with some possibilities of a local contact or two.

Tim,
Thanks for that. I think that I will try to get to Long Point and Algonquin Park. I have a long lost relative that I have been in contact with so maybe he will give me some gen on getting to some of these places. who knows, he may be a birder. I would like to see some of the other wildlife, not just birds so thanks again for the moose and beaver pointers.

Colin,
While it may be quite crowded, September for migration in Point Pelee, Ontario (220 miles from Toronto) might also be good - sounds like you need to make this trip a full vacation!

Dave,
Picking up some passage migration sounds good - maybe I might have to try and extend the trip. Thanks for that.

Dave B Smith said:
Colin,
While it may be quite crowded, September for migration in Point Pelee, Ontario (220 miles from Toronto) might also be good - sounds like you need to make this trip a full vacation!

I agree with the Point Pelee recommendation. Algonquin Park is a fine place for a nature experience but your journey only begins once you get there and a lot more that a couple days needed to makeit aworthwhile outing from Toronto.

Then again, where are the Torontonians and their recommendations? We Calgarians aren't much closer to Toronto than someone in Britain. I've been to Algonquin a couple times but it was via Ottawa and only once to Point Pele via Detroit/Windsor.

Agree, Point Pelee NP will be your best bat!

Visiting the NP and surounding area three times in the past, Except birds you will find 3 species of turtles (my experience) and lot of racoons.
The help which I got there was just incredible, e -mail to the visitor center and you will see by yourself!
http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/on/pelee/index_e.asp
In addition this place is easy and fast to reach.
PP has the plus that the migrating birds will be on the small peninsula.

Algonquin PP is also " a must see" but very large and in my oppinion you must add a few weeks holidays.

Has a nice trip wherever you will go!
Best regards, Roman

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back