• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Toronto: Dowitchers and peeps (1 Viewer)

Eildert

Hello,
Shot this dowitcher and this peep this morning in Toronto. I thought I had only photographed Semipalmated Sandpipers, but then I saw the long wing projection beyond the tail on the peep and started doubting. Help much appreciated. For the dowitcher, the question of course is Long-billed or Short-billed?
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• DSCF1790.jpg
    DSCF1790.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 51
  • DSCF1800.jpg
    DSCF1800.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 51
The peep looks good for Semipalmated. Bill is nice and short/thick, and I don't think the primary projection is long enough for other species. I'm not much help on the dowitchers, but I'm guessing Short-billed is more expected for date and location.

The peep looks good for Semipalmated. Bill is nice and short/thick, and I don't think the primary projection is long enough for other species. I'm not much help on the dowitchers, but I'm guessing Short-billed is more expected for date and location.
Thanks for weighing in! I have gotten more opinions that agree with yours - people are saying the dowitchers is an Atlantic Short-billed. As for the Semi, I guess I just got tricked by what I thought was a long wing projection beyond the tail.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back