• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trees on sale in Supermarket (1 Viewer)

So glad someone has started a thread on these wonderful bargains to be had as I've often been tempted - though as I live in an upstairs flat at the moment I have to abstain ;) Not for long *hopefully* though as I plan to move next year as I WANT a garden again - I can't bear not being able to get my hands into the soil!

One teensy thing though....I'm sure you have to remember to plant Silver Birch not too close to the house as they have quite strong roots that can undermine your foundations and...........

Did anybody back Silver Birch to win the Grand National yesterday? ;) 33-1 would buy you a lot more birch & ash from Morrisons and Woolworths if you did :-O

Gill Osborne said:
Did anybody back Silver Birch to win the Grand National yesterday? ;) 33-1 would buy you a lot more birch & ash from Morrisons and Woolworths if you did :-O
not me, I'm against horse racing, or any sport that exploits animals for our financial gain.

MMMM!...been doing my garden yesterday and gunna move a potted red mapel from the front to a planted spot in the garden. I will look into the birch / rowen but the wife has fallen for the cherry (pink blossom). Thoughts please...?

Henstooth said:
MMMM!...been doing my garden yesterday and gunna move a potted red mapel from the front to a planted spot in the garden.
careful when re-siting that red maple as theyre a bit sensitive to full sun and sharp winds on the new leaves.

Henstooth said:
MMMM!...been doing my garden yesterday and gunna move a potted red mapel from the front to a planted spot in the garden. I will look into the birch / rowen but the wife has fallen for the cherry (pink blossom). Thoughts please...?

Maybe you could compromise on the native wild cherry, Prunus avium or the Bird cherry Prunus padus. Prunus avium does grow big though, 25 meters(but takes a long time) and has small single white flowers and they are very pretty trees in my opinion. I see you're in Kent, not too far from me, and I know it does well in Sussex. Prunus padus is smaller, 15 meters, and native to the north of England and Scotland. I can't say I'm very familiar with it though.

Joanne

Last edited:
Good and well said advice re red Maple. I think that more by luck than judgement I have put it in a FAB place....just pray that it's happy..I can't imagine that it won't 'cos there is no damage to roots and it's got a free plot to get water.
Pete

Good advice about the Maple..I think I have placed it in a great spot (more by luck than judgement). I just hope that it takes. I can't see why not as it's out of a large pot..I didn't damage the roots and now it can take as much water as it wants rather than depending on me for water. The ribin has used it to leap onto a feeder moved closer.
Pete

joannechattaway said:
I'll say it again, silver birch are IMO the best wildlife tree you can plant in any garden in Britain

Lucky you said Britain. Worst tree to plant on many parts of my land - 'cos it's also number one tree that beavers fancy a chomp upon! Plant today, little chewed stump tomorrow! Fortunately they also grow like crazy, so plenty coming up naturally (away from water) to offset the losses!

Edit, still do plant them though ;)

Last edited:
Just to let everyone know, Morrisons are selling the same trees again - I have picked 3 up this week!!

£1.99 for a Silver Birch?? Crazy!! Let's all get a couple!!

Good deal,wonder if they have any Rowan.
BTW some time ago there were a bunch of guys in the town,part of a green initiative,giving trees away,for free. I got silver birch and field maple,not sure if they're doing well tho. I do already have a 3 foot silver birch in the garden,an ex bonsai tree that I decided would serve wildlife better. But i really want some berry bearers;i do have a few Cotoneastears that I planted but need a tree with height.

Good deal,wonder if they have any Rowan.
BTW some time ago there were a bunch of guys in the town,part of a green initiative,giving trees away,for free. I got silver birch and field maple,not sure if they're doing well tho. I do already have a 3 foot silver birch in the garden,an ex bonsai tree that I decided would serve wildlife better. But i really want some berry bearers;i do have a few Cotoneastears that I planted but need a tree with height.

I bought three Rowan at Morrisons today for £1.99 each. They also had Silver Birch and a few others as well. Roger

I got a Mountain Ash, Rowan last week from Morrisons and planted it in a very large plant pot. Seems to have settled in nicely with the leaves unfolding. Should be a good grower this year.

Mine was about 2-3 feet tall.

Just to bump this thread along slightly. Since planting in March, it has grown to around 5 feet tall with a bit of coaxing by tying it with grass strands to wooden pole, only one large branch growing off from it. Will try to get some pictures taken before the leaves shed. I am maybe thinking of getting some more trees next year.

If you want good quality, but reasonably priced native trees, I'd go for the mail order ones, from reputable nurseries advertised under 'hedging ' in the back of any gardening magazine at this time of year.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back