• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trinovid 8x42 HD (4 Viewers)

>>P.S. It is amazing how the subjects of forum threads can bend and twist in the wind of comment. This may morph into a DOF discussion!

DOF is not to be trifled with! :D It's one of those things that is not mentioned in specifications or marketing, but over the long-term, it's a huge factor in making binoculars more fun to use IMO.

Serious birding is difficult, like fly fishing, anyone who's tried it knows. The birds don't stay still, they pop in & out of foliage, and many species look alike. Having more DOF makes everything easier for me. Higher power reduces DOF but makes it easier to see markings when you're locked onto the bird. There's a balance between the two. If you're in a forest with everything close by, 7x and more DOF is best IMO.

Your favoring the 7x is a preferred choice of many birding authorities. It is also an easy view on the eyes and more stable in hand. I have 6x to 10x, all in between. Loved the Meopta 6.5x32. Had close focus of 3’. view like not using binoculars, so transparent. Regret selling those.

DOF is not to be trifled with! :D It's one of those things that is not mentioned in specifications or marketing, but over the long-term, it's a huge factor in making binoculars more fun to use IMO.

Serious birding is difficult, like fly fishing, anyone who's tried it knows. The birds don't stay still, they pop in & out of foliage, and many species look alike. Having more DOF makes everything easier for me. Higher power reduces DOF but makes it easier to see markings when you're locked onto the bird. There's a balance between the two. If you're in a forest with everything close by, 7x and more DOF is best IMO.
Yes, i agree: in a dense forest 7x is the King 👑

How's that again? What have you been reading?

No, and no. You seem to be confusing the notoriously vague "3D-perception" with depth of field which has a precise definition.

No. Field curvature doesn't correspond to objective curvature, it's related to eyepiece design.

No, this is not a real issue, because the effect is the same for every 8x binocular you try.

How exactly do you imagine you can detect or measure such "slight" differences at all?

No, there is no component of a binocular that is mistakenly thought to have no effect on the view. In fact you're doing the opposite, imagining a difference in DOF for which there is no cause, and admiring the subtlety of your perception.

This happens regularly because there is so much misunderstanding of DOF. The confusions above just keep recurring (although the curvature one may be unique, congratulations).
Recovering from surgery, I read a comparison of Nikon HG and Leica Noctivid, both in the 10x42 format, on a shooters forum. Both were tripod mounted for the comparison. The author concluded that the image through the Noctivid appeared slightly but notably larger through the Nikon HG. Later in the review, the author mentioned that the depth of field was also slightly but notably deeper through the Noctivid. This raises the question if all rated 10x binoculars have the identical objective design/diameter. If there is some variation brand to brand in actual dims, this could impact the perceived and DOF. Optica Exotica reviews have also reported differences in focused DOF between models and brands.
I make no claim to having superior vision or knowledge of the physics. This is not the first time I have read about variations in glass designs that affect actual vs reported magnification.

Last edited:
After deleting yet more messages that had nothing to do with optics, but simply a string of attacks against each other, I repeat the request given by Lisa - quit the bickering and stick to the optics.

Further such messages will be deleted - many everyday members may actually want to read the reviews and opinions about the binoculars, they should not have to wade through pages of personal attacks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back