• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trying to pick between rice fields...Shiokawa or Ukishima (1 Viewer)

mustap

I am trying to pick between two sites for a full day of birding on late august of this year. I am primarily interested in waders or shorebirds in the rice/paddy fields. Specifically i am hoping for snipe (painted and any others), spotted/common redshank, broad-billed, wood, green, marsh, long-toed, sharp-tailed sandpiper....and of course, whatever else i might see.

1. ukishima marsh, and the surrounding rice fields (East of Tokyo)

2. shiokawa tidalflats (Tahara), and surrounding rice fields (and possibly the short ferry ride to Toba for whatever might be in the bay...alcids etc?)

I will be arriving via Tokyo and hope to end up wherever i need to be, to enjoy sunrise to sunset the following day. I would appreciate any advice on choosing one location over the other for this time of year, or even confirmation that the same birds are possible at either location at this time (thus adding weight to other adjacent possibilities like the ferry ride, tidalflats, or marsh).

Thanks,

Haven't been able to obtain any first-hand knowledge, but i have decided to proceed with a tour of Atsumi Peninsula. Any peninsula which naturally concentrates autumn/fall migration seems like a good idea....and since Irago-misaki appears to be a top hawkwatch site (sep/oct), logic would suggest it is probably good for earlier migrants in mid August. Early to mid August should be good for waders and warblers i should think.

I will plan to visit the following sites:

1. Shiokawa Tidalflats and surrounding rice fields. Some good information online about this area.

2. Iwakazu Wetlands (another IBA in the area)...not a great deal of information for this spot, but logically there are perhaps some marsh/reedbed birds here vs. the rice fields and tidalflats.

3. Cape Irago (and poor-man's ferry boat pelagic between Irago-misaki and Toba). Since i can't be everywhere at sunrise...i will try this ferry trip in the middle of the day, and hope for some alcids ...or at least take a break and enjoy the scenery and sea air.

4. Circle back on east coast of the peninsula in the afternoon, and return again through Shiokawa area to see what has changed from sunrise.

4. Imo Swamp/Bog. Can't find much information on this site, but potentially another habitat in the area to explore...perhaps even at dusk or nightfall?

I'm sorry there hasn't been any replies, as you probably know Japanese birders are very rare here! I don't live near Tokyo so I'm afraid I can't quite help, but if you need any help regarding Japanese or any other, I'm happy to help :)

Though Tokyo is very urban it's a fab place for waders so I hope you enjoy your visit. Painted snipe is a nice bird and I'm guessing that you will find them with little difficulty, hopefully with it's chicks!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back