• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

U.S. Nevada, Hawk Like Bird ID Help (1 Viewer)

frejaya

Saw this bird at a birding hotspot in southeast Nevada, November 23.

It was about 50-60 degrees that day, not too chilly.

From where I was standing this bird seemed huge! When it landed at the very top of a tree, the whole branch and tree swayed a lot. Definitely much bigger than a duck size, but smaller than a great egret.

Once the bird landed it just pretty much sat there for a long time, maybe moving a little bit on the branch but not much else.

I looked at common birds in the area and I'm stuck...they all look really similar to me, except for size maybe. I didn't get a good look at the bird head-on, so I can't tell if the face matches one bird more than another.

Here is a picture of the bird. I think it might be a juvenile coopers hawk, but looking for second opinions. Northern harrier was the other one I thought it might be.

Attachments

• PB230097_Coopers Hawk.JPG
    PB230097_Coopers Hawk.JPG
    209.1 KB · Views: 64
Hooray! Thank you! I'm still really new at identifying birds, so I was hoping I got this one right! I was surprised how many hawks have the banded tail pattern like this...thought it would be totally easy to identify it, but I was wrong. :D

Maybe! It had a pretty dark face. Here's a few more shots where you can see its back and other angles.

Attachments

• PB230092 - Edited.jpg
    PB230092 - Edited.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 24
  • PB230094 - Edited.jpg
    PB230094 - Edited.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 20
  • PB230095 - Edited.jpg
    PB230095 - Edited.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 25
  • PB230096 - Edited.jpg
    PB230096 - Edited.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 32
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back