• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Uk Cuckoos (1 Viewer)

LSB

Me
United Kingdom
Ive just read a little snippet in todays newspaper saying that UK Cuckoo numbers are down 56% since 1979!! Source BOU, does anybody have more info on this please..
Thanks

Well THAT accounts for why I haven't heard or seen one for the past three years in Northumberland! And there was me thinking I was just a rubbish birder LOL
Last one I heard ( didn't see) was in the Lake District in June 2002. I was hoping that since we moved to more open countryside I may have a better chance of hearing/seeing one this year?

GILL

Gill Osborne said:
Well THAT accounts for why I haven't heard or seen one for the past three years in Northumberland! And there was me thinking I was just a rubbish birder LOL
Last one I heard ( didn't see) was in the Lake District in June 2002. I was hoping that since we moved to more open countryside I may have a better chance of hearing/seeing one this year?

GILL

Ive been lucky enough to get them most years, but only single birds this explains it.. I once had a birder telling my Cuckoos dont call in flight (As I'd just claimed to see). Then one flew right past him calling PURE MAGIC!

True, they've declined a lot. Particularly in lowlands - they've almost completely disappeared from lowland Northumberland, to rely on seeing/hearing them now you have to visit the moors. Even up there, it can be a struggle to find any.

Nutcracker said:
True, they've declined a lot. Particularly in lowlands - they've almost completely disappeared from lowland Northumberland, to rely on seeing/hearing them now you have to visit the moors.

I had heard they were declining but 56% shocked me..Shame

They actually seem to be doing quite well in my local area. For the last two summers I have seen them regularly on my local patch, where Meadow pipits are abundant at that time of year. Check out www.gatesheadbirders.co.uk and check for reports of Cuckoo from 2004.

treecreeper said:
They actually seem to be doing quite well in my local area. For the last two summers I have seen them regularly on my local patch, where Meadow pipits are abundant at that time of year. Check out www.gatesheadbirders.co.uk and check for reports of Cuckoo from 2004.

Cheers Treecreeper
I have that link on my website will check it out

We've had at least two pairs breeding locally for the last two years on the coastal areas and so far I've never yet missed a year hearing them from our garden.

I can remember when I was a kid hearing 3 or 4 cuckoos calling regularly near my home, last year I didn't hear 1. Same with Lapwings, they used to be in a field next to the local school, but they havn't been seen there for
years.

jackied

Jake Apps said:
So I shouldn't be ashamed of not seeing a Cuckoo last year! But I guess I should still keep quiet about Lesser Whitethroat...

No shame there Jake. I'm fine for cuckoos round here as a rule, but could I find a Lesser Whitethroat? Nah. And don't get me started on Water Rails...

A cuckoo on my lunchtime near-to-office patch was my fave find of 2004. They're wonderful birds - does anyone have any more info on the original question about a 56 percent drop?

Is this a drop from a long term average or from an unusually high point? If there has been such a drop, any theories as to why - changes in the UK or in the wintering grounds?

hornet said:
..... any theories as to why - changes in the UK or in the wintering grounds?
Isn't it associated with a similar decline in main host species such as meadow pipit & dunnock ??

IanF said:
We've had at least two pairs breeding locally for the last two years on the coastal areas and so far I've never yet missed a year hearing them from our garden.

Dear oh dear.

Ever since I joined BF I thought my knowledge of birds had improved by 1000% and now I read this.

I always thought Cuckoos laid their eggs in other birds' nests, but now I read of breeding pairs. Never knew Cuckoos did this.

If this continues I will give up birdwatching, it is becoming too complicated.

AnnieW said:
Isn't it associated with a similar decline in main host species such as meadow pipit & dunnock ??

Hi Annie,

I don't think there is a firm correlation but it is interesting that woodland cuckoos are declining at a rate three times faster than birds breeding in other habitats. There has been a general shift of woodland birds into other habitats too and it is not easy to tell what has caused this. Woodlands do not seem to be as healthy as they used to be but it is not simply a case of habitat loss reaching a critical point. Anyway back to the cuckoos, I have heard rumours of a survey for this coming year so watch this space for further news.

Ian

Anecdotally, I'd say there has been quite a decline in several very unwooded parts of Cambridgeshire recently.

Ronald Zee said:
Dear oh dear.

Ever since I joined BF I thought my knowledge of birds had improved by 1000% and now I read this.

I always thought Cuckoos laid their eggs in other birds' nests, but now I read of breeding pairs. Never knew Cuckoos did this.

If this continues I will give up birdwatching, it is becoming too complicated.
The two Cuckoo of differing sexes still have to get it together first you know ;)

Only saw the one in Northumberland last year but saw dozens while in the Trossachs in June.

I heard this reported on the radio on the way to work last week but only caught the tail end of it so didn't hear the figures.

A decline in the number of host species was attributed to it's decline but, as above, that's about all I caught of the report.

|=(|

Alan

Does seem to have been a marked local decline in recent years, but arrival dates are now much earlier.

Any of NEastern members might want to check out Waldridge Fell (Between Durham City & Chester-le-street) its impossible to visit (in season) & not see at least one. ;)
Have watched 3 males singing to one female here, but theres sometimes 4 & 5 males.
This is the last relatively large Lowland Heath in Co. Durham & has masses of passerines for the Cuckoos to select a nest. (120+ singing Willow Warblers etc)
A pleasant place to visit, though V. popular with dog-walkers, its tremendous for roding Woodcock, Green Woodpecker, Willow Tit, Bullfinch. Specialities in smaller numbers include Stonechat & Whinchat, Redstart & Tree Pipit.

SE.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back