• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK - Gull one legged and ringed! (1 Viewer)

Pitvar

Hello all, got a few shots of this gull in a car park this week. I'm a bit confused on ID - it was hanging around with BHGs but the leg and bill look very dark even for an immature - also bill seems quite heavy in form? There was also a leg missing - appeared to have been removed mid way up the leg unless it was a deformity. Also ringed and I have some of the characters from some other shots.

If anyone can ID and tell me who to report ringed gulls to I'd be grateful, thanks

Attachments

• DSC_0165.jpg
    DSC_0165.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 146
Agree with Phil on it being a 2nd winter med.
Is its leg not tucked away in its plumage?

Thanks both, I thought the leg was just tucked away but when it flew you could see the stump dangling down - I guess that's why the knee joint [pardon the incorrect terminology] looks slightly strange on the good leg?

Thanks both, I thought the leg was just tucked away but when it flew you could see the stump dangling down - I guess that's why the knee joint [pardon the incorrect terminology] looks slightly strange on the good leg?

Probably dropped off not used to the cold british weather. ;)
Birds are adaptable so I'm sure it can cope.

Do any of the photos show the ring in any more detail? If the ring could be read it would certainly help to track down where it came from.

Do any of the photos show the ring in any more detail? If the ring could be read it would certainly help to track down where it came from.

I've got - three lines of text on the ring:

Top line - NAL [or NAC]
Middle line - SSELS - [maybe Brussels?]
Bottom line - 426

I just found the euro ringing group reporting site and sent a form in but I can't see a code NAl or NAC on there. Maybe the single leg plus those partial details will be enough...

The ring originated from a Belgian ringer. The layout is this -

First line - MUSEUM SC. NAT
second line - BRUXELLES 4
third line - 2T 85950

The '4' on the second line may not be there - older rings definitely have this and the third line is an example only but gives the number of characters and the spacing for Black-headed Gulls at least - this looks like a Med Gull.

Interestingly, many Med Gulls are also colour ringed and if there is only a stump left of the other leg, the colour ring, if fitted, has probably dropped off.

This is probably worth reporting because from the layout, you have the last three significant digits and with a bit of luck, other rings from Belgium of this size and with these last 3 will have been either still unused or fitted to other species than Med Gulls.

Last edited:
The ring originated from a Belgian ringer. The layout is this -

First line - MUSEUM SC. NAT
second line - BRUXELLES 4
third line - 2T 85950

The '4' on the second line may not be there - older rings definitely have this and the third line is an example only but gives the number of characters and the spacing for Black-headed Gulls at least - this looks like a Med Gull.

Interestingly, many Med Gulls are also colour ringed and if there is only a stump left of the other leg, the colour ring, if fitted, has probably dropped off.

This is probably worth reporting because from the layout, you have the last three significant digits and with a bit of luck, other rings from Belgium of this size and with these last 3 will have been either still unused or fitted to other species than Med Gulls.

Thanks very much Colin, I'll see if I can get any further info and I'll post if I do, cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back