• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK Native seedlings ID please (1 Viewer)

IamFof

England
These were gathered, this summer, in W Cornwall.
Due to a combination of stupidity and advanced years, I forgot to make a note of what they were or where I collected them.
Any ideas, guys?

TIA
Fof

P1030604 (small).jpgP1030609 (small).jpgP1030615 (small).jpgP1030619 (small).jpg

aeshna5.
Yes and no.:):):) I remember now.
They are either white campion (Silene latifolia) or Silene latifolia x Silene dioica, but I think the former.
Both were growing in my garden, in an area that is currently becoming a Cornish hedge. I only harvested from the white.
The gorse is Ulex gallii, western gorse, waiting for the hedge to be finished. Pic is end of day, yesterday.

14th October.jpg
Again, thanks

Certainly looks identical to the Red Campion seedlings in my garden-but don't think you could differentiate a hybrid from seedlings. Will be interested to see them when they have flowered.

I did read somewhere that the 2 spp S. dioca and latifolia are not able to be differentiated at seedling stage.
As you say, let's just wait and see.

As a follow up.
aeshna5 was bang on.
They have now filled out and are flowering.
I guess the plant I collected the seed from, must have been a hybrid, or what I have seen called S. dioica 'alba'. It was a VERY sorry looking plant, with just a single stem, very little in the way of foliage, growing in poor soil and very little moisture.

P1030945small.jpgP1030953small.jpg

Last edited:
VG!
I find the hybrids to be quite whitish watery-looking things. I suspect this is more likely a pale red campion.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back