• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK shropshire bird of prey (1 Viewer)

iamjulian

Hello, last weekend I was out walking in woods on the Welsh border when I heard a loud call overhead. I large bird of prey passed over. Half an hour later I saw the bird again, and the same noise. I get buzzards over the garden a few miles away so don't think it was that. And although there are red kites in a valley about five miles away, the tail did not look forked. Earlier today I was walking on farmland about a mile from last week's place when I heard the noise again and saw the bird. Has to be a bird of prey as it is pretty big. But the noise is almost like a duck or goose!? Like short series of honks is the best I can describe it. Is there a bird of prey that makes a non typical noise? Only other thing I can think is it is startling another bird. But seems coincidence. Any help much appreciated!

Raven? Here's one showing diamond shaped tail. 2nd photo, red kite. Both taken in East Herts recently
Cheers,
Jono

Attachments

• DSC_0024.JPG
    DSC_0024.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC_00100003.JPG
    DSC_00100003.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Sounds very similar to the pair of Ravens I saw flying west over Shrewsbury a few years back. They can be very easy to confuse with large birds of prey at a glance due to the deeply "fingered" wings.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back