• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

unknown (to me) bird (1 Viewer)

bonzi

Can't seem to figure this one out. It comes to the feeder very rarely. I shot these terrible pictures through the glass door in hopes of using the image to identify the bird. If the little fellow makes a habit of coming back I will try to get a nice pic for the gallery.

My best guess so far is maybe one of the other Juncos (I have a lot of the slate gray ones, see my gallery).

Thank you very much for your time to help me identify this bird. Edit to say I'm from SE Ohio in the US.

pat

Picture-Package.jpg

These are dark-eyed juncos. I think they are also slate-coloured type. There is a great deal of variability, and of course the females are browner than the males.

Scott

Juncos ?

Maybe the Gray-headed Junco? I thought the Slate-colored Junco looked like this.....IMG_7927-w.jpg

I must admit that I am an extreme amateur and most likely don't have a clue what I'm talking about :).

Thanks for the info.

pat

female slate-colored Junco?

Maybe the Gray-headed Junco? I thought the Slate-colored Junco looked like this.....View attachment 242921

I must admit that I am an extreme amateur and most likely don't have a clue what I'm talking about :).

Thanks for the info.

pat

look here....http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Dark-eyed_Junco/id scroll down to the Field Marks....then click on the "slate-colored" junco picture and then scroll through the images to find the female slate colored picture.

Whats funny is I have had the males for weeks and yesterday was my first spotting of the female (if I have it right)

Last edited:
look here....http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Dark-eyed_Junco/id scroll down to the Field Marks....then click on the "slate-colored" junco picture and then scroll through the images to find the female slate colored picture.

Whats funny is I have had the males for weeks and yesterday was my first spotting of the female (if I have it right)

Males tend to winter farther north than females and immatures. I usually have mostly adult males, but female types have begun to appear the last week or so.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back