• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unstreaked Acro in London..... (3 Viewers)

FWIW I looked for the RW today without success, ''first time'' in 19 visits, everything else present except the aforementioned! I recall that the Common Whitethroats were ''quite showy'' up until 9th Dec. disappeared, then re-appeared again on the 15th, Hoping it's still around...although I'm not holding my breath! Cheers

Last edited:
In my previous post I forgot to add these two shots taken on the 23rd December '14. (being probably?) the last two images taken of the bird, feel that they might merit showing for the record?...with perhaps the 2nd image displaying a degree of poignancy regarding the birds eventual demise, after a succession of ''crisp'' nights and mornings.....

Attachments

• A last for the year RW..jpg
    A last for the year RW..jpg
    460.2 KB · Views: 95
  • A RW eyeing some Walkers crisps..jpg
    A RW eyeing some Walkers crisps..jpg
    216 KB · Views: 127
The 2nd photo of it next to the cheese and onion crisps clinches it for me as a European RW, Eastern RW would have gone for the curry flavour ..........

Very good Richard.

Hasn't been that cold has it? Bird would still be able to feed I would have thought.

You should have took it with you to Fuerteventura Ken!

I haven't been following this thread, but I trust that in the case of a pale or sandy reed warbler that a mildly leucistic "common" reed warbler has been ruled out?

I haven't been following this thread, but I trust that in the case of a pale or sandy reed warbler that a mildly leucistic "common" reed warbler has been ruled out?

I think it's fair to say that the general consensus was that it was exceedingly pale in certain lights, to the point of from a cosmetics perspective having to consider EOW and MW, however a check of the wing formula, bare part colouration and bill structure eliminated those species.

Perhaps If you read the whole thread, you might begin to see how the alternative suggestions originated, coupled with the extremely late date, an Atypical bird at an incongruous location. Traffic Island with flyover at one end, and bordered by roads, roundabouts and Eurostar track.

Yes...just a pale RW was considered but...silky white unders, concolouress sandy/grey brown uppers (light dependent), all yellow tarsi, not infrequently seen to flycatch and banana posture!....certainly not ''yer typical'' RW.

Attachments

• Site Y. (2) comp. version.jpg
    Site Y. (2) comp. version.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 70
When I saw this bird some weeks ago it seemed odd and just didn't have the look of a reed warbler, maybe this was also lots do with the jizz. The contrast between the upper parts and underparts is really quite marked, and also I wonder if a leucistic reed warbler would lack the characteristic warth of the rump? Nevertheless Silverwolf is right to suggest that the possibility of it being a slightly leucistic reed warbler.

The other options being hybrid and Caspian Reed Warbler. The Romanian bird linked by Ken does have a strong resemblance to the Leyton bird and it is interesting that the ringers of that bird are also intrigued by the possibility of fuscus and inviting discussion.

When I saw this bird some weeks ago it seemed odd and just didn't have the look of a reed warbler, maybe this was also lots do with the jizz. The contrast between the upper parts and underparts is really quite marked, and also I wonder if a leucistic reed warbler would lack the characteristic warth of the rump? Nevertheless Silverwolf is right to suggest that the possibility of it being a slightly leucistic reed warbler.

The other options being hybrid and Caspian Reed Warbler. The Romanian bird linked by Ken does have a strong resemblance to the Leyton bird and it is interesting that the ringers of that bird are also intrigued by the possibility of fuscus and inviting discussion.

It's interesting that a ''ringing group'' (not unknown to ringing RW's ;)) should be intrigued by the ''differences'' to the point of bringing it to the attention of a wider audience.

Presumably their response has been less than they might have hoped for?

Although the question was asked regarding the Dutch/German criteria for fuscus acceptance, answers as of yet have not been forthcoming.

It would appear that vocal differences..if any, are unknown at present?

It's an intriguing situation, that you have a race of Reed Warbler from a population (fuscus) that is visually more variable within their respective population groups (more so than A.scirpaceous) and yet even with extreme examples Leyton/Danube delta, are deemed ''off limits'' for specific ID without a DNA sample...clearly the Danube ringing group didn't take a sample?

Echoing CF the previous poster, the Leyton bird's cosmetic was consistently ''different'' in all areas imo, to exclude any question of leucism, as for hybridisation...don't know what the odds might be on that union (Marsh x BRW) a regular feature in Finland..as I understand?

cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back