• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unusual bird found (1 Viewer)

Hi Richard and a warm welcome from me too. Not the usual garden bird LOL!!

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

I would have thought the nearest breeding birds would be the Isle of Man or North Wales.

My first reaction was that our collective leg was being pulled, courtesy of Photoshop, but that's just my nasty suspicious mind ;). Welcome to BF Richard!

Nah.

Evidence:

1 A Shag in a back garden?
2 ..and not at all skittish because judging by the pixel quality of the image, the person must have gotten quite close - and even if they didn't then just the sight of a person approaching would see this bird quickly take flight.
3 A new poster who hasn't posted since nor returned since Tuesday.
4 A new poster who hasn't replied, thanked anyone nor been totally blown away by this find.
5 A new poster who has a Shag in his back garden.
6 And have a look at the sample of the photo I have attached - there's a definite black outline to the front of the bird's body and an odd outline around the fronds of the plant. Imaging is my job (not photography) and I deal with image quality as a graphic artist and these 'outlines' should not be there compared to the rest of the photo.
7 A Shag in a back garden?
8 Again, a shag in a back garden?

Attachments

• false.jpg
    false.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 67
Nah.

Evidence:

2 ..and not at all skittish because judging by the pixel quality of the image, the person must have gotten quite close - and even if they didn't then just the sight of a person approaching would see this bird quickly take flight.
4 A new poster who hasn't replied, thanked anyone nor been totally blown away by this find.
6 And have a look at the sample of the photo I have attached - there's a definite black outline to the front of the bird's body and an odd outline around the fronds of the plant. Imaging is my job (not photography) and I deal with image quality as a graphic artist and these 'outlines' should not be there compared to the rest of the photo.
I've seen my wife work in Lightroom and if you use the eging tool too liberaly to tidy up the outlines, it can leave an image looking like this.

Nah.

Evidence:

Don't line me up like that Richie cos I've had a few in mine :ROFLMAO:

I've seen my wife work in Lightroom and if you use the eging tool too liberaly to tidy up the outlines, it can leave an image looking like this.

Exactly - Lightroom is a semi-professional imaging tool so why would a person using a poor quality camera/phone take their image into a semi-professional imaging tool?
If that is the case.

Richie you are absolutely miles off the mark...

Wow - I didn't expect that :cool:
Possibly where the idea came from?
As we know, they are coastal birds which never (usually) come inland so that is very very very rare.

Don't line me up like that Richie cos I've had a few in mine

Ha ha 🤣

I'd like the OP to upload the original photo with it's data properties or EXIF data still attached.

If I'm proved wrong then I'll apologise 👍

Wow - I didn't expect that :cool:
Possibly where the idea came from?
As we know, they are coastal birds which never (usually) come inland so that is very very very rare.

Ha ha 🤣

I'd like the OP to upload the original photo with it's data properties or EXIF data still attached.

If I'm proved wrong then I'll apologise 👍
The original post was on Tuesday purportedly showing a Shag in a Blackpool garden. The Brambles post was in the very early hours of Wednesday morning showing a Shag they had collected from a Blackpool garden on Tuesday. I am not sure what level of proof you are seeking but it's good enough for me...

It hadn't occurred to me before, but the reddish plant at bottom right does look particularly odd and out-of-place there and as if it's been dropped on top of the photo: it seems to have been photographed side-on, whereas the rest of the image is photographed with camera angled markedly downwards.
Shags do, unusually/occasionally, rock up in odd places. Well-known fact.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back