• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unusual bird photo ID? (1 Viewer)

scottHoward

Can anyone ID this bird, spotted just north of Chicago, IL, USA last weekend?

Many thanks,
Scott

Attachments

• BirchTreeBird11.20.jpg
    BirchTreeBird11.20.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 237
Scott,

I'm going with adult Sharp-shinned Hawk on this one. Clearly an adult accipiter and either a Sharp-shinned or a Cooper's. It is unusual for "Sharpies" to raise their hackles (puff their head feathers up) like this but none-the-less this one has. If this were a Coop doing the same the head would appear very blocky and flat-topped. Also I'm keying in what we can see of the toes. They are extremely thin, also suggestive of Sharp-shinned hawk.

Best,

Jeff Bouton
Port Charlotte, FL
USA

Hello Scott!

On behalf of those of us on staff here at BirdForum, a warm welcome to you.

Yup, you've got yourself a Sharpie. They're beautiful aren't they?

Thanks for the knowledgeable replies and the warm welcome. I'd love to be able to take credit for the picture, but it was my father-in-law who snapped this one.

We'll know where to come when we see any more interesting birds!

Thanks again!
Scott

scottHoward said:
Can anyone ID this bird, spotted just north of Chicago, IL, USA last weekend?

Many thanks,
Scott
Scott, Here are my Sharpie pics if you would like to compare for ID.

Attachments

• Sharp Shinned Hawk 1.jpg
    Sharp Shinned Hawk 1.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 135
  • Sharp Shinned Hawk 2.jpg
    Sharp Shinned Hawk 2.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 139
Hi Everyone

I just joined the Forum, mainly because of a readers request to respond to this (and other) ID challenges.

I love a challenge, and I find that ones like this have helped me become more aware in the field.

The reponse below is by no means a positive identification. It is simply my opinion based on my experience and the study of this one photo. However, it does show that some difficult birds require debate.

I studied/reviewed and compared the photo of the adult accipiter.
Although it would be nice have a size reference, I feel strongly that its a Cooper's

* very rounded tail tip with fairly thick pale terminal band
* central rectricies are clearly longer than outer rectricies
* individual rectricies appear fairly rounded at tips
* appearance of forward eye position (subtle)
* large square head with capped effect emphasized by paleness on face extending behind nape
* the brownish gray cap suggests subadult Cooper's (female?). But, look at the prominent eyebrow. Based on experience and review of many Sharpie images, this character seems to be missing, or less prominent (according to some references, subadult Cooper's have rufous forehead and eyebrows as suggested in this image).

Sorry to muddy the water.
Cheerio

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back