• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Up the Hill (1 Viewer)

I'd only just got up there this afternoon when I saw a Red Kite again being mobbed away by, first a Crow, then a Heron. Great, so it's still in the area:-O

Apart from that, I heard 1 Meadow Pipit and saw 1 Moorhen. Loads of Rooks and Wood Pigeons though.

D

Thursday 23rd October

I really think that Delia should re-name this thread " up the hill, down the hill, up another hill and another".
We met up this morning, in the rain, for a trip UP to "Delias' patch". Now she had been promising me that the red kite would be there waiting for us!!! Read on to find out.

As we left Blairgowrie and "Up the 1st Hill", a sparrowhawk flew over the car and i wasn't that much further before we had to slow down and stop for 6 red legged partridges crossing the road. Goldfinches, chaffinches, rooks, crows and pheasants were all seen before we reached the cattle grid, and the beginning of the patch.

We stopped to have a look at the view which was distorted by low clouds, wind and rain. Its a lovely place and i know i will have to come back up on a nicer day to see it in its glory.

A buzzard was the next bird to be seen as we stopped for a while to watch for any other raptors in the area!! No i didnt say kite!!

After a while, we headed off for the small loch that Delia has on her patch. It looked devoid of any bird life but we had only stopped for a couple of mins when a little grebe appeared as if from no where. Then a moorhen flew from the reeds infront of us but was then seen flying to the other end of the loch, accompanied by the little grebe, just as the farmer arrived with his tractor.

I headed off over the pasture field to see what else there was, while Delia was going to meet me a little while later at the top of "one of the hills".
As i departed, i suddenly heard redwing chattering and saw two in the lone tree next to the loch. I continued my walk and saw a single meadow pipit, wren, robin, rooks, crows, goldcrest and pheasant, before re-joining Delia. We then went back "down the hill" to the car. Goldfinch and Chaffinch were seen before we headed back to the raptor viewing point to have lunch. I said nothing about watching for the kite though!!

We sat for a good hour in the rain, drinking coffee, eating our lunch and watching the world go by. Only rooks and crows bothered to show themselves. All the other birds, including that kite, were more sensible and were sheltering somewhere else from the wind and rain.

We had a good few hours up on the patch and really enjoyed it despite the weather. One good thing to come out of the bad weather was the fact that for once, Delia could look for birds without the wind turbines spoiling her view!!! With the low clouds, the turbines were only visible a few at a time and even then, not in their entirity.

The photos i took today show a small area of the patch.

1. Is the loch where we saw the dabchick and moorhen. In the top right corner you can just make out some of the beautiful turbines.

2 Up another hill to check those trees

3 Further up that hill to get to these barns

4 Down hill and then up another to get this view of the same barns and line of trees

5 Down hill and then up a small hill to meet up with Delia again for this view of the loch and then back down to our transport.

Thanks for a good day out Delia, even without that kite!!!:-O

Darell:t:

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 40
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 42
Wow! Darell... was it that good:-O

Thanks for doing the report, you make it sound as if we had a really exciting time!

I really think I feared the weather was going to be a lot worse than it was, at least we didn't get soaked.

That was great to hear the Redwings flying over - my first this year.

You'll be welcome back anytime... just bring a better day and I'll have you tramping over the moor;)

D

you really landed unlucky with the weather today i was out all day yesterday and although there was ice on the roads the sun was present all day,highlight of my day was discovering the location of a badger set,(farmer pointed it out) iv,e only saw one badger runing across the arbroath road at carnoustie at night,im going to read up on badgers and hopefully next spring i might see my first badger cub,nice pics,i was at the same spot but didn,t know it was delias spot,it was the beuty of the spot that caught my eye,i got out my car with my camera and left my binos in the car,if i knew where i was the binos would have been first round my neck

What with one thing and other today was my first visit for ages.

After a couple of hours, I thought the only thing to report was going to be 2 Rooks, 1 Crow and 1 male Pheasant and that the loch was frozen!

But then... away on the far side.... hmmm... is that another Rook... mmm doesn't look right. Got the scope out and - a Black Grouse. I searched around and found a female not far way from him. These are the first I've seen for over a year and a good way to end 2008.

May I wish any followers of this thread a very happy New YearB :)

D

Are you sure it was not simply a Rook stuffed with rather too much Christmas pud?!

ummm... I suppose that just might explain the white stuff round his backend then - got cream poured over him:-O

Happy New Year to you too - hope you get something special tomorrow

D

Thanks Stewart - have a great one yourselfB :)

Give my love to Marjorie:flowers:

D

First visit of the year today - shouldn't have bothered:-C

As soon as I started climbing the first hill out of Blair I came across the first signs that it had been snowing up there! Higher up and in the more exposed areas were piles of snow at the side of the road where the plough had pushed it.

However, with wall to wall blue skies and it looked so beautiful.

An hour plus at the raptor view point (may be better to call it the windfarm view point really:-O) produced a total of 2 Crows and a heard Meadow Pipit somewhere in amongst the gorse.

I walked along the road towards the loch, which was completely frozen and no sign of life on it at all.

D

Attachments

• Snowy Forestbf.jpg
    Snowy Forestbf.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 37
  • Snowy Patch.jpg
    Snowy Patch.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 41
First visit of the year today - shouldn't have bothered

I like days like this - can do the whole local patch in ten minutes and be home in time for Eastenders ;0

Clears the conscience that you haven't visited for yonks, doesn't waste the whole day and doesn't give you time to get cold :-O

At least it looks pretty, Delia.|=)|

LOL yes, it did look pretty Joanne - it was really crisp and white-looking snow, non of the dirty slush you get in populated areas. I love those sort of days.

I like days like this - can do the whole local patch in ten minutes and be home in time for Eastenders ;0

Clears the conscience that you haven't visited for yonks, doesn't waste the whole day and doesn't give you time to get cold :-O

Don't tell me you rush back to watch Eastenders, Jos:-O

I could do with the loch thawing out though, in the hope of getting some Whoopers again.

D

didn,t know you had whoopers there delia, i saw some small groups in flooded fields around meigle last year,just shows you my luck not only do i stumble across your patch without knowing it i probably picked the worst time,i do remember seeing a few magpies which are uncommon east of blair for some reason,and the landscape was awseome :t:

didn,t know you had whoopers there delia, i saw some small groups in flooded fields around meigle last year,just shows you my luck not only do i stumble across your patch without knowing it i probably picked the worst time,i do remember seeing a few magpies which are uncommon east of blair for some reason,and the landscape was awseome :t:

Morning kawwauser

My first sighting of a Whooper was in April 2006 when one stayed for around a week. During the 2006/07 winter 7 arrived in November, they came and went until February. However, Charlie (the farmer) told me he'd seen 13 one day.

The last time I saw any was in November 07 when 5 were present.

As for Magpies, they are very scarce in this area. There's been none on my patch as yet, but I saw one between there and Bamff (think I mentioned it in the Tayside thread). I've had very occasional sightings over the years in the Glens and towards Kinnordy.

D

Hi Delia, had a magpie in my garden last summer, up in Kirriemuir, not too far from Kinnordy Loch. Often see them down in the south part of kirrie, best place to see them locally is Forfar loch , saw several ther on sunday afternoon when I was down looking at the red-necked grebe.Often get jays where I live as well, though they are very wary of people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back