• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Up the Hill (1 Viewer)

An hour on Patch for 6 species!

However, the first bird seen was the male Hen Harrier, which was really pleasing. Just parked the car and was scanning the far distance, when a movement in the dip below caught my eye and there he was!

Just one male Mallard on the loch, but both Moorhens are still present. Heard a couple of Linnents flying over but couldn't see them.

D

I haven't seen a Hen Harrier for over a year so I'm very jealous of yours!

What were the other two species?

TS

I haven't seen a Hen Harrier for over a year so I'm very jealous of yours!

What were the other two species?

TS

Thanks Ben and Fiona.

Crows and a male Pheasant:-O

It's just nice to know that the Hen Harriers are still around up there, as I feared the worst when I didn't see them for so long when the windfarm was under construction.

D

Did you all think I'd forgotten about the Hill? When I hadn't but was just getting more and more frustrated as I couldn't get up there for so long.

Managed today though at long, long last.

Spring is gingerly thinking about arriving up there, but not that many species about as yet.

Driving along the road I could see 4 Oystercatchers sitting on the island, but by the time I got down there only 1 remained. A pair of Mallard and one Little Grebe was feeding.

I went for a short walk up onto the moor and the Meadow Pipits were in full voice, though I couldn't actually see them. There were 5 Common Gulls lined up on the fence posts.

Apart from Woodpigeons, a Rook and a male Pheasant I didn't see anything else but did hear a Curlew.

I met Charlie (the farmer) who told me that the Oycs and gulls had been back a while, before the loch had defrosted and he'd also seen some Lapwings. Although I'd only heard the one Curlew he said there were a few up on the moor - it was a bit breezy up there, so perhaps they were keeping their heads down.

The coming week is a bit busy, so whether I'll get back again before the Bash I'm not really sure.

D

Did you all think I'd forgotten about the Hill? When I hadn't but was just getting more and more frustrated as I couldn't get up there for so long.

Spring is gingerly thinking about arriving up there, but not that many species about as yet.

Driving along the road I could see 4 Oystercatchers sitting on the island, but by the time I got down there only 1 remained. A pair of Mallard and one Little Grebe was feeding.

I went for a short walk up onto the moor and the Meadow Pipits were in full voice, though I couldn't actually see them. There were 5 Common Gulls lined up on the fence posts.

Apart from Woodpigeons, a Rook and a male Pheasant I didn't see anything else but did hear a Curlew.

I met Charlie (the farmer) who told me that the Oycs and gulls had been back a while, before the loch had defrosted and he'd also seen some Lapwings. Although I'd only heard the one Curlew he said there were a few up on the moor - it was a bit breezy up there, so perhaps they were keeping their heads down.

The coming week is a bit busy, so whether I'll get back again before the Bash I'm not really sure.

D

about time too! :t: ;)

Must have been great to get up there again after so long! Can't believe it's almost time for the bash, that's come around quickly, just wish I was going too.

Certainly sounds as if it's getting busier up there and if you don't get up again before you go it'll make it all the more interesting to see what's up there when you get back.

Fiona

D

Thanks Fiona - you missed an excellent Bash. We must get you on one before too long.

I had a lovely afternoon sitting in the hot sun, which seems to have tempted a few more species up there. First was a fine male Linnet sitting on top of the gorse (which is only just beginning to flower, unlike Islay where it was in full bloom). Later saw another 5 take flight. Skylarks have either returned or have started singing - the air was full of their song.

I spent a while at the raptor view point, but none to be seen unfortunately, so on down to the loch.

Both Dabchicks were busy feeding - always a relief to know the pair are there. Only one Moorhen to be seen though. A female Mallard braved the crossing over the widest bit, then went back again. The next thing I knew she and a male took off and flew a circle round the loch - she was really close to him, almost hindering his movements. It seemed rather odd almost as if it a was pair-bonding exercise.

A Pied Wagtail flew down in front of my car and fed for a few minutes on the gravelly road. Shortly after I heard a Buzzard close by, then another called from a bit further away. They both joined together and flew down past the end of the loch before tumbling to the ground.

A few Common and a single Black-headed Gull came for a wash. Curlews were singing and flying around up on the moor. No Oystercatchers on the causeway, but 2 flew over.

A Grey Heron flew in and started stalking the water's edge where I'd seen the Moorhen disappear.

Rooks, Crows, Jackdaws and Wood Pigeons completed the day's tally.

D

May was very quiet strangely. There was really hardly anything to report at all.

Very hot today with hardly a breeze. But it was a good 'un.

Pulled in at the cattle grid for a scan around and thought I was in for the same lack of anything much of the past weeks, a couple of Linnets flew over and I could hear a Willow Warbler singing. Two Swallowsflew over. But something kept me there searching the lower moor. Then I saw a blob on some heather, so got the scope out and.... at last.... absent for the last 2 years a Whinchat, then I saw another blob just behind and there was another! Two lovely males, not had two before! Quite made my day.

A few more Willow Warblers singing in the gorse as I drove along and some more Linnets flying over.

Stopped to look over the west end of the lochan and could just see a Little Grebe hiding in the reeds. Two Moorhens swam across to the island, then a few minutes later I saw another up by the Dabchicks... surely there's not 3 of them?

Six Starlings flew across in front of me... not that common up there.

Moved along then to park at the east end. Got a count of 26 Oystercatchers, one of the highest totals I've had!

Then I concentrated on the water for a while and eventually a Dabchick came out, then another - great both adults still about. A Mallard family (3 ducklings) swam past them. Common Gulls started flying around then (four), then I heard the Dabchicks squealing away and great sprays of water coming up. Another Mallard with 5 ducklings were getting too close to one of the adult Dabchicks and I then spied two young with it... (the day is really improving). Couldn't believe a few minutes later when the other Dabchick appeared with 3 young ones!

A pair of Pied Wagtails have raised 3 young, who seem to be pretty independant - they were pottering about the new (unfinished) jetty, the adults on the other side of the water.

D

LOL it certainly was yesterday anyway! Just need the Moorhens to produce now!

D

New kids on the block

Lots of activity in the gorse on Sunday afternoon. Male and femal Linnets ticking away and a gorgous male Stonechat surveying the scene - I don't remember when I last saw one looking quite so black! No further sign of the Whinchats though. A small group of half a dozen Starlings were buzzing about. I could hear a Yellowhammer but couldn't actually see it. Adding to these were the Willow Warblers, Meadow Pipits and Skylarks.

The first Swift I think I've seen up there, looked to be rather pale underneath in the fraction of a second I saw it!

No sooner had I settled at the Raptor viewpoint than the heavens opened! So gave that up and moved down to the loch. Common Gull sitting on the jetty post. Only one Little Grebe with a single baby. No sign of the other adult nor the other chicks. A Buzzard drifted over and an Oystercatcher flew round, shortly joined by 5 more then more joined in making 14 in all this week.

Went for a little toddle after the rain went off and sat near the tree - the Gull was flying around by now making quite a noise and then buzzed me. I couldn't work out why.... but then saw a young one swimming from the island to the other side of the loch - that's the first Common Gull chick I've seen there... then I found another on the island!

I was distracted then by a row from the tree and several Starlings flew out of it, in the company of a Sparrowhawk.

Shortly after that a female Tufted Duck swam down from the top end with 6 ducklings - the first time they've bred there!

A Pied Wagtail came by to say "Hello".

D

good to see you have 2 new familys on your patch delia,common gulls seem to be on the increase you might have a small colony nest year

good to see you have 2 new familys on your patch delia,common gulls seem to be on the increase you might have a small colony nest year

Thanks kawwauser

It's rather strange as, the first couple of years there were loads of CGs loafing around and I was sure some were sitting on nests on the island, but there was never any sign of young. Last year and this there have hardly been any Gulls, except a few mostly coming in to bathe. There were a couple on the island for a while, but I didn't think they were on nests - how wrong can you be.

Did you make it up to Glen Lethnot?

D

Some pictures from Sunday

1: Tufted Duck with her family
2: Proud Common Gull mother
3: Pied Wagtail

D

Attachments

• Tufted DuckBF.jpg
    Tufted DuckBF.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 76
  • Common GullBF.jpg
    Common GullBF.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 71
  • Pied WagtailBF.jpg
    Pied WagtailBF.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 77
hmmm... not been very active reporting on here of late - can't believe I've not written anything since June.

Actually there's not been a lot to see - Pheasants, Rooks, Crows and Jackdaws. The early cold snap seems to have chased everything out. There were some Ravens today but couldn't hear any Meadow Pipits or Skylarks and didn't even see a Woodpigeon.

A sizeable skein of geese flew over heading south west.

The strip of gorse that had been burnt down a few years ago has now all been ploughed up, apart from odd clumps here and there.

The new jetty is just about completed and they've built a hide on top of it, which looks like it'll be finished soon. The last time I spoke to Charlie he wasn't sure if it'd be locked or not.

D

Attachments

• New hide on Patchbf.jpg
    New hide on Patchbf.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 93
At last the snow and frost has gone and we can actually see the hills! So ventured up for my first visit of the year.

Well, Spring seems to have arrived bringing two displaying Curlews and a pair of Oystercatchers. Six Mallards, that flew off soon after I arrived, a Grey Heron stalking in the long grass at the far end and (the first since February 2007!) a singleton Mute Swan!

There were two Mistle Thrush in the forest field and as I was driving away found 3 Roe Deer in there as well.

The hide looks just about finished, though I didn't go to look as it would have meant disturbing the Oycs that had just flown in.

Virtually all the road-side gorse has now been ploughed up, which must surely effect the breeding Linnets - we'll wait and see.

D

It was sunny and really quite warm this afternoon - bit of a cool breeze though.

Rather a lack of 'little' birds and really not much to see as I drove along the road, but stopped to have a scan around and the first Buzzard for a long time lifted up from a fence post beside the forest. Feeling a bit bored, thought I'd count the Wood Pigeons that were loafing about in the pine trees. Whilst I was doing that, something else flew in and landed on top of one of the pines... odd... mmm.... flew like a Magpie. By the time I'd got organised with the scope it'd disappeared.

Drove a bit further along to be opposite where I'd seen it and searched again and found the devil lower down in the trees. Why so excited? Well we just don't see Magpies up here very often and it's a first record for the Patch! Not had a new bird for quite a long time now. Two Oystercatchers flew over.

A couple of Mistle Thrushes and a few Meadow Pipits were in the field. So on down to the loch. Mute Swan has gone, just a pair of Mallards and a Grey Heron patrolling. Sat for a while with nothing much happening at all, apart from the odd corvid flying over - there were quite a few up on top of the moor though. Then I heard a Dabchick call... couldn't see it though.

Now I really wanted to go and have a look at the new 'hide' so wondered over there to see what sort of job they'd made of it. Unfortunately, you have to go round the front to get in, so scaring off anything that might be around; it has a double-glazed sliding door. Inside, there's benches all round the edge (it'd seat about 20 people:-O) with a table and moveable seat under a window that looks at 'the tree'! Must say it was rather hot sitting in there, so I slid the door right open (very squeaky) and shifted the seat so I could get some air. At least it let all the flies escape;) Heard the Dabchick again, but still no sign.

Enough of that... went back to the car and just enjoyed the quiet and view. Heard a single Curlew but, again, couldn't see it. Then I saw one... at the far end of the loch a Dabchick finally surfaced and swam to the other side, to join its mate, with some reeds in its beak. So think I may have found where the nest might be this year.

Just as I was about to pack up and leave a Pied Wagtail flew in and settled beside the hide. A Buzzard flew around (same one as earlier I don't know but rather think not) and did a fair imitation of a hunting Kestrel!

D

Yeah, thanks KC. Things seem to be picking up a bit now hopefully.

D

Now I really wanted to go and have a look at the new 'hide' so wondered over there to see what sort of job they'd made of it. Unfortunately, you have to go round the front to get in, so scaring off anything that might be around; it has a double-glazed sliding door. Inside, there's benches all round the edge (it'd seat about 20 people:-O) with a table and moveable seat under a window that looks at 'the tree'! Must say it was rather hot sitting in there, so I slid the door right open (very squeaky) and shifted the seat so I could get some air. At least it let all the flies escape

Building design doesn't seem so hot up the hill ...still if you get there pre-dawn and sleep on the table for a few hours, all the birds might just be settled in front by the time you are ready. Does it have a built-in stove for coffee?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back