• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upgrade from canon 600d (1 Viewer)

BlankFrank

United Kingdom
Hi all, I'd like some advice please. I currently use a 600d with a sigma 150-600c, I'm mainly interested in BIF and I have got some goodish shots with that set up but AF is a bit hit and miss which is frustrating. I'm still learning but think I'm ready for an upgrade. I've been looking at the 90d which looks good but have read that the AF isn't always reliable especially for BIF. I've also been looking at a used 7d 2 which apparently has excellent AF but is an older camera with less MP. I've also been looking at mirror less canons but can't justify the cost of the R5 (or R6 for that matter). I'd appreciate any advice you could give.

BTW I found this excellent comparison of mirror less cameras for BIF here https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/best/mirrorless-cameras-for-birds-in-flight/

Hi all, I'd like some advice please. I currently use a 600d with a sigma 150-600c, I'm mainly interested in BIF and I have got some goodish shots with that set up but AF is a bit hit and miss which is frustrating. I'm still learning but think I'm ready for an upgrade. I've been looking at the 90d which looks good but have read that the AF isn't always reliable especially for BIF. I've also been looking at a used 7d 2 which apparently has excellent AF but is an older camera with less MP. I've also been looking at mirror less canons but can't justify the cost of the R5 (or R6 for that matter). I'd appreciate any advice you could give.

BTW I found this excellent comparison of mirror less cameras for BIF here https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/best/mirrorless-cameras-for-birds-in-flight/
Try the 7D2. It's still a great camera. It's actually a newer camera with more MP than the 600d.

I've had a 7D MkII for several years, and it's a great birding camera - when the reserves are open! Sadly, my nearest guaranteed place for wildfowl is WWT Welney and that's been closed for some time. I use my 7D MkII with an EF 500 F/4L IS, on a sturdy tripod. Prior to getting the 7D MkII I used a 1D MkIV, which I still have and is now mainly reserved for sports.

I've had a 7D MkII for several years, and it's a great birding camera - when the reserves are open! Sadly, my nearest guaranteed place for wildfowl is WWT Welney and that's been closed for some time. I use my 7D MkII with an EF 500 F/4L IS, on a sturdy tripod. Prior to getting the 7D MkII I used a 1D MkIV, which I still have and is now mainly reserved for sports.
Thanks for your post Malcolm, I've just ordered a used 7d2 from Park Cameras for a reasonable price and can't wait for it to arrive and try it out. I'll see how it performs with my current lens, I'd love a big canon L series lens to go with it but will need to save hard - the 100-400 is within budget so that might be the best option. I know what you mean about the reserves being closed, I haven't been down to the Somerset levels for ages due to the travel ban - can't wait to get out and photograph some birds! I hope when you do get out you get some great shots, cheers Frank

You'll love that 7D with the Sigma 100-600. That is my current rig and I get great results with it. Included is a Kestrel that I caught flying almost directly overhead today. That is at 600mm and about a 100% crop. Also a shot taken of a Japanese Waxwing at at least 200m to use to determine whether it was a group of Japanese or Bohemian again at least a 100% crop. As you can see you can still get good detail even after cropping the 20mp.

I do intend to go back to the Canon L glass in form of the new 100-400mm or possibly just a fixed 400mm. The Sigma is excellent quality but it definitely gets heavy after toting it around for several hours. I normally hike from 2-6+ km and so forgo the extra of carrying along a tripod and hand hold every shot.

Attachments

• NT4A6339.jpeg
    NT4A6339.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
  • NT4A6305.jpeg
    NT4A6305.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back