• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (11 Viewers)

Hi everyone. Not long back from Upton.

The Dragonfly ID was correct by the way and a male Scarce Chaser was seen by Gordon Greaves and myself + others today.

On the Butterfly front, up-to 10 White-letter Hairstreaks were flying around a number of trees at the A38 end of the river.

Birding highlights included:

Black-tailed Godwit(1st S)-moving between Flashes and Moors.
Green Sands- 10 at the Flashes+ 1 at the Moors.
Common Sand-2 at the Flashes + 1 at the Moors.
LRP-up-to 10.
Teal-3 at the Moors.
Gadwall-2 at the Moors
Kestrel
Whitethoat-Moors
Lesser Whitethroat-Flashes.

Des.

Not a lot to add to Des's sighting.
Went to the Flashes last night 7pm to 9pm.
The nesting BHG's in the new floating boxes have now hatched their eggs and both pairs of common terns (1 in each box) are sitting tight and will have to for a couple of weeks or so.
There were 3 common sands present and Phil had seen 2 on the Moors (whether the 2 had come to the Flashes to roost is unclear so there might be 5 on the reserve).
Only saw 8 LRP of which only 1 was a juv proving constant movement at this time of year.
For any photographers wanting to get pics of green sands they are performing well in front of hide in the 'Hide' channel. This was the channel dug out (de-silted) last year and would have been totally dry if we hadn't done so.;) the silt was used to construct the new shingle island (Tim' island).

The water continues to drop and although its looking ideal for waders we desperately need today's forecasted rain, otherwise autumn will be a washout (forgive the pun) for passage waders.
Flocks of Starling are gathering close by but as yet none are roosting on the reserve.
A water vole!! was seen by Phil on the path by the hen pool, a first for a few years (I think we need a full description8-P)
B :)john
ps still no water rail sightings at the Flashes although 2 lots of young at the Moors

...both pairs of common terns (1 in each box) are sitting tight and will have to for a couple of weeks or so...

Excellent news John. I don't know about you, but I really didn't expect to attract them with our first year prototype rafts!
Notwithstanding the reason for their late presence, having had to abandon their previous nesting attempt on the Moors, it's got to be worth a beer!

FĂ©licitations mon ami! B :)

Last edited:
Phil's water vole could be what is needed for the trust to start trapping the mink all year round, but then again they might just keep cutting grass and putting it in heaps near water courses! ;)

In that case you must be clinically insane :eek!:

Or clinically sarcastic, perhaps...

Right, I'm off to the Warren now to look for this mythical rodent - something tells me I've got a better chance of seeing a squirrel wearing a wetsuit! ;)

Phil's water vole could be what is needed for the trust to start trapping the mink all year round, but then again they might just keep cutting grass and putting it in heaps near water courses! ;)

This Cynicism is catching.

Let me add my cynical view - they might think they have cracked it now saying that if it is a water vole then no need to trap mink. So as far as I am concerned it was a squirrel with a bald tail.8-P

So Dave you were not too far away with your comment :- quote
Right, I'm off to the Warren now to look for this mythical rodent - something tells me I've got a better chance of seeing a squirrel wearing a wetsuit!

Yeah, Tim, my thoughts exactly - glad I'm not the only one who spotted the double-standards re composting near watercourses. However, if it leads to more positive action on the Mink control I'll be happy.:t:

Nothing really new to report at Upton this evening.

Apparently:

"A brown little face, with whiskers.
A grave round face, with the same twinkle in its eye that had first attracted his notice.
Small neat ears and thick silky fur."

;);)

Presumably it was a similar size to Brown Rat and, therefore, Bank Vole (which is common at UW), was ruled out. Did he get a good look at the tail, I wonder? (I'll ask him when I see him tomorrow).
I guess I'll believe him. :t:

Last edited:
Any chance the Water vole could have been displaced by the recent mowing activities? If so that would be an offence...
I don't want to stir anything up, as I don't know the reserve very well and where the grass has been cut or where the vole was, but these things should be considered...

Gareth

Any chance the Water vole could have been displaced by the recent mowing activities? If so that would be an offence...
I don't want to stir anything up, as I don't know the reserve very well and where the grass has been cut or where the vole was, but these things should be considered...

Gareth

Gareth,

Grass or, to be more accurate, tall vegetation cutting was a couple of months or so ago, not recent. It was an attempt by the Trust to create a shorter area of 'grass' along the water courses for Water Voles to use ... if there are indeed any on the Reserve at all. The nearest known site these days is two or three miles away in Bromsgrove.

Mike

Gareth,

Grass or, to be more accurate, tall vegetation cutting was a couple of months or so ago, not recent. It was an attempt by the Trust to create a shorter area of 'grass' along the water courses for Water Voles to use ... if there are indeed any on the Reserve at all. The nearest known site these days is two or three miles away in Bromsgrove.

Mike

Cheers Mike, It just set allarm bells off in my head.

Gareth

Spoke to Phil today (we went down to Devon for the GB Tern this afternoon). Apparently, he has never seen a Water Vole before and wasn't aware of the size of them. He admits now that what he saw WASN'T a Water Vole but probably a Bank Vole. I, personally, saw two of these little critters myself this morning - one on the flashes and one on the moors.

Celebrating another UK lifer B :) - (Gull-billed) - takes my UK life list to 400 (plus a couple 'pending'). :t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back