• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (9 Viewers)

My contribution to the Baird`s pics.
Thanks for the message on Friday John. Glad it stayed for me to see it today.

Chris:t:

Attachments

• baird 2a.JPG
    baird 2a.JPG
    317.7 KB · Views: 51
  • baird 3a.JPG
    baird 3a.JPG
    317.6 KB · Views: 57
  • baird 5a.JPG
    baird 5a.JPG
    369.9 KB · Views: 57
  • baird 6a.JPG
    baird 6a.JPG
    388.2 KB · Views: 53
The juv Baird's is a really smart bird....... I thought I was one of the few who didn't have a chance to go at the w/e, but the hide was packed this morning! Also Water Rail, Ruff, Avocet.

Quick visit after work for another look at the Baird's which showed well again in the 'scope and included a fly round which was nice to follow in the bins.

A quick scan of the gulls produced nothing unusual to report and the hedgerow was quiet although it was getting on time-wise.

BAIRDS SANDPIPER FLASHES Tomorrow arrangements

Tomorrow might be the last day for this bird to be seen.
I will be on site all day from early on.
Please use overflow car park on left as you turn off roundabout. I will be selling permits in the hide . So if you are in a rush just come and see the bird and I will sort it afterwards.
Work on the reeds eradication will be carried out on Wednesday 14th & Thursday 15th September. I am not sure of time but will let you know as soon as I do .:t: john

Fantastic to watch the Bairds today - along with Common and Green Sandpipers,Ruff and Water Rail at the Flashes.
Terrible light all day reflected in my terrible snaps.....

Attachments

• Canon 2016 SEPT 1 025 A B C D_filtered.jpg
    Canon 2016 SEPT 1 025 A B C D_filtered.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 110
  • Canon 2016 SEPT 1 093 A.jpg
    Canon 2016 SEPT 1 093 A.jpg
    974 KB · Views: 65
  • Canon 2016 SEPT 1 151 a A B_filtered.jpg
    Canon 2016 SEPT 1 151 a A B_filtered.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 95
...over at the Moors.....Just Little Grebe and the Cormorants to stare at....before the King popped in as i was closing up.

Attachments

• Canon 2016 SEPT 1 105 A.jpg
    Canon 2016 SEPT 1 105 A.jpg
    442.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Canon 2016 SEPT 1 107 A.jpg
    Canon 2016 SEPT 1 107 A.jpg
    695.1 KB · Views: 45
  • Canon 2016 SEPT 1 102 A.jpg
    Canon 2016 SEPT 1 102 A.jpg
    514.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 20160912_173601_fhdr.jpg
    20160912_173601_fhdr.jpg
    507.2 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
The juv Baird's is a really smart bird....... I thought I was one of the few who didn't have a chance to go at the w/e, but the hide was packed this morning! Also Water Rail, Ruff, Avocet.

There was no one in the bottom part of the hide although the views were not quite as good as the top floor. Also the Bairds could be seen distantly from the first hide.

Wednesday?

I presume the work is still going ahead tomorrow? sadly that is the only day I can manage to get there, so I'm guessing I will have missed the Bairds!

Another full house at the Flashes midday, but the Baird`s obliged by staying close in compared with Saturday, yet another record shot but accompanied by the White Wagtail.

Pair Pochard & Little Egret at the Moores

Richard

Attachments

• DSCF4397.JPG
    DSCF4397.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 171
Today at Flashes 8.30 am till 8.30 pm

Bairds showed well in the sucer area mostly. The light was good from mid-day onwards. The thunderstorms and heavy rain brought nothing new.Some good pics taken today.
The work will start at 9am from the sewage works entrance. So who knows the bird might remain . However on Thursday work will start at 7am and will be carried out in front of the hide.
Species Count :
Teal 110. Shoveler 65. gadwall 3.
BAIRDS SAND. Avocet 2. Curlew 18. lapwing 140. Snipe 5. Green sand 2 . Common sand. Ruff.
Common tern juv. BHG 1400. LBBG 35.
Water rail 2. buzzard 6. raven 2. skylark over calling
swallow 25. starling 140.
lesser whitethroat. Common whitethroat. mipit
The hedgerow to west of hide was alive with passerines this morning a couple of weeks later than usual.including my first song thrush of the autumn. There were plenty of finches, warblers, tits and reed bunting

in addition there were 4 mistle thrush seen by birders at Flashes

Last edited:
John B

Thanks for your hospitality tonight at Upton it was a pleasure to meet you and visit your reserve. Some places I've been to the locals won't talk to you let alone tell you where the birds are - Upton is totally the opposite, friendly helpful people.

Steve

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 116
Bairds showed well in the sucer area mostly. The light was good from mid-day onwards. The thunderstorms and heavy rain brought nothing new.Some good pics taken today.
The work will start at 9am from the sewage works entrance. So who knows the bird might remain . However on Thursday work will start at 7am and will be carried out in front of the hide.

In addition to the work tomorrow and Thursday at the Flashes, Western Power will be working at the Moors Pool (presumably the eastern side) on Friday 16th with Neil and co back again at the Flashes next week from Tuesday 20th to Friday 23rd September

Users who are viewing this thread

Back