• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (7 Viewers)

Tomorrow's work party MOORS

Tomorrow we plan to do a bit of work in the secret garden and swampy bottom. We were going to continue be bramble bashing and opening up of the Lagoon southern shore line in Amy's Marsh. But the weather is looking a bit unpredictable so it might be better to be working where we could get cover if needed.
The task is to open up the overgrown channel that runs from the causeway towards the North end of the pool.
We will also open up the area in front of the viewing screens in the secret garden.
I will be there come what may weather wise , but if the rain does start early then I will leave it to you to decide whether to turn up or not :t: john
If I am not working I will be birding so if you have any cake come and join me 8-P

I can't think of any new addition to the reserve's list whose second, third, fourth or fifth records were added so quickly as Hawfinch in recent days.

Possibly sixth record tomorrow and seventh on Wednesday!

Des.

Well done Nostradesmus.

3 Hawfinch perched on the yew tree by the farmhouse at the Moors Pool residencies then flew south - wonder if they could be roosting there?

Hopefully John S will post some photos later.

Last edited:
Well done Nostradesmus.

3 Hawfinch perched on the yew tree by the farmhouse at the Moors Pool residencies then flew south - wonder if they could be roosting there?

Hopefully John S will post some photos later.

Pictures of one of the Hawfinches seen this morning at The Moors.

Attachments

• Hawfinch-4716.jpg
    Hawfinch-4716.jpg
    881.4 KB · Views: 123
  • Hawfinch-4717.jpg
    Hawfinch-4717.jpg
    718.8 KB · Views: 121
Whooper Swan still at the Moors Pool as per John Sirrett.

As well as Hawfinch 3, Whooper Swan 1 and Jack Snipe 1 also to be enjoyed on the Moors today were Mute Swan 23, Cormorant 8, Pochard 16, Wigeon 4/5, Gadwall 3, Teal 31, Shoveler 14+, Tufted Ducks & Mallard, Curlew 12, Lapwing 1, Snipe 3, Buzzard 1, Redwing 80+, Fieldfare 10+, Mistle thrush, Song Thrush & nos of Blackbirds, Goldcrest 2, Coal Tit, Chaffinch 2, Greenfinch, Goldfinch 10+, Bullfinch, BH Gull 70, Herring Gull, 2 LBB 1, Cettis Warbler2, Water Rail 1, GS Woodpecker some 46 species in all.

And I heard reports of a Dunlin on the Flashes and a Pintail on the Sailing Lake.

JS

As well as Hawfinch 3, Whooper Swan 1 and Jack Snipe 1 also to be enjoyed on the Moors today were Mute Swan 23, Cormorant 8, Pochard 16, Wigeon 4/5, Gadwall 3, Teal 31, Shoveler 14+, Tufted Ducks & Mallard, Curlew 12, Lapwing 1, Snipe 3, Buzzard 1, Redwing 80+, Fieldfare 10+, Mistle thrush, Song Thrush & nos of Blackbirds, Goldcrest 2, Coal Tit, Chaffinch 2, Greenfinch, Goldfinch 10+, Bullfinch, BH Gull 70, Herring Gull, 2 LBB 1, Cettis Warbler2, Water Rail 1, GS Woodpecker some 46 species in all.

And I heard reports of a Dunlin on the Flashes and a Pintail on the Sailing Lake.

JS
Well done to John , Bobby P, Bob O, Jim B and Tony B who all connected with Hawfinches.
If the birds are seen again in the same area could you all please respect the privacy of the residents. The yew tree is next to a bedroom window, so for obvious reasons..do I need to say anymore.
I have spoken to the residents and they are now aware of the birds. If you are around in the morning stand along our east track behind the leylandia hedge and view the top of the yew tree from there. It's the first time the birds have been seen in the tree so it might be a one off occurance.
Thanks for your co-operation B :) john

Work party at MOORS and FLASHES

Even with poor weather predicted and my text to emphasise as such 14 of us still turned up to work.... that's what you called dedication.:t:
12 of us Bobby P. Dave H. Ian Joh. Jim B. Julie W. Keith M.
Kim W. Nick F. Paul M. Ray C Steve S. and me.
Started work on opening up the SECRET GARDEN. This is a classic example of what happens if the reserve is not managed. In this case less than three years and it really does emphasise the need for constant work to stop the site from becoming a willow/alder carr and ultimately a less diverse , uninteresting habitat than it is now.
The once open short grassy sun trap that the Secret Garden was, has now been completely swamped by bramble , rank vegetation and a thicket of alders and blackthorn. This was the last place where willow warbler bred on the reserve. It was also a great place for butterflies and marsh meadow plants.
Today we cut back several hundred alder saplings these will be burned at a later date if we can't incorporate them into a dead hedge elsewhere.
The rain did finally get too heavy for safe work so we called it a day after a couple of hours, but achieved our goal.

Meanwhile Bob O and Tony B continued and completed the cuckoo hide (Flashes) refurbishment. The windows now open inwards the door now shuts properly and the bench now accommodates more people .B :)

JS

Any idea who had the Pintail John?

Congratulations on your 200th species at Upton B :)B :)

Birding the reserve today

MOORS:
Little grebe 2. Little egret.
Mute swan 25. Whooper swan.
Cormorant 12. Greylag 40+
Shoveler 25. Teal 54. Gadwall 5. Wigeon 4.
Pochard 18 (6 fems). Tufted c12.
Coot 190 A big increase. Water rail 3-5 along east side.
Snipe 30 were flushed from Amy's by unseen predator?
Jack snipe. Lapwing few. Curlew.
Herring gull. LBBG few. BHG c80.
Kestrel. Buzzard 2.
Kingfisher. Collared dove. Stock dove 2
Fieldfare. Redwing 120.
HAWFINCH 3. Chaffinch 15. Greenfinch 5. Redpoll.
Coal tit. Goldcrest. Cetti's. Blackcap male.
Pied wag. Meadow pipit 3.

FLASHES:
Teal 70. Shoveler 12. Greylag 54. Canada geese 250 .
Curlew 12. Green sand 6 roosted. Dunlin 2. Lapwing 210. Snipe 7.
Gull roost: BHG 2200. LBBG 26. HERRING 35.
Starling 650 circled and landed on islands briefly but didn't see where they roosted. Pied wag 3. The continuous rain from mid-day meant there very little passerine activity. Tomorrow's weather looks better so maybe more chances of getting hawfinches moving through.

SAILING POOL:
GCG 7.

No sign of any Hawfinch so far today but warbler heaven at the Moors Pool - Chiffchaff, male and female Blackcap and most amazingly, a first winter Garden Warbler in the spindle bushes at the end of the causeway as per Des.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back