• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (15 Viewers)

Hi all

I think I have a Common Sandpiper at the Moors. Lapwing hide. I have taken a pic, but can't upload until I get home. I know we are low on waders! But I am on my own!

Hi Julie. There was a Common Sandpiper at the Moors Pool this morning. This could well be the same bird you saw this evening.:t:

Hi

I have looked at Birder Gladys pics and think the one I saw might be the same?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 75
Having had a spring clean at home I discovered reports from several years that I'd forgotten I had! If anyone wants any of the following let me know:

1984 (11 copies available)
1985 (2)
1988 (8)
1989-90 (4)
1991-92 (12)
1993-94 (10)
1997 (10)
1998 (4)
2003 (4)
2004 (11)
2005 (9)
2006 (22)

All free (or for the cost of postage).
I'll have them with me at the all-dayer in three weeks time plus some more recent back copies available for £1.00 each

Hi Mike. I'd be most grateful if you could reserve the following reports for me:

1984, 1985, 1988, 1989-90, 1993-94, 1997, 1998.

I intend to be present at the all-dayer so can pick them up then.

Andy P.

Any idea what the culmulative day list was Andy? Dave had both Siskin and Redpoll at the Moors.

My day list reached 69 up until about 5pm. I didn't get either Siskin or Redpoll, nor Meadow Pipit, which I know Dave also had. Tim Owens also had a Mistle Thrush and a Raven was sighted by Andy Ambrose. So the cumulative day list was at least 74.

Other birds not seen by me which may have been seen by others include Peregrine, Pied Wagtail, Grey Wagtail, Nuthatch, Coal Tit, House Sparrow, Collared Dove, Redwing, Fieldfare, Curlew, Common Gull and Barn Owl.

15 hours at the Reserve

S-SE winds in mid April usually delivers the goods. But todays winds were cold and probably too strong, the lack of showers was also a factor...but you still have to try8-P
Only migration witnessed was my first common sand of the year. 2 white wags and 150 hirundines.
The breeding waders in the meadow have abandoned their nests...but I thought it was the poor weather . Unfortunately the reason is almost certainly the FOX that I saw inside the fence this evening:-C

The Glossy Ibis continued to be elusive during the day but early morning and this evening it showed well at the Flashes. Also this evening 8 common gulls roosted.

FLASHES:
Little grebe. Shoveler 10. Teal . Gadwall. Shelduck 9. Tufted 20.
GLOSSY IBIS.
Avocet 39. Snipe. Oystercatcher 2. Lapwing 12. LRP 4.
Roost tonight - Common gull 8. LBBG 85. Herring gull 2
Raven. Stock dove 20. Skylark 2.
Cetti's w. Chiffchaff 2. Sedge warbler 3. Blackcap.
White wag 2.
Sand Martin 4. Swallow.
Song thrush 3.
Linnet 5. Greenfinch 2.

SAILING POOL:
GCG 4. Little egret. Tufted 35. Swallow 30. Sand Martin 20. House martin

MOORS:
GCG. Little grebe 9.
Shoveler 13. Teal 6. Gadwall 7. Tufted 47.
Lapwing 3. Oystercatcher 4. Common sand.
Herring Gull 4.
Jay 2. Stock dove 5. Song thrush 3.
Swallow 80. Sand Martin 60. House Martin 5.
Meadow pipit 3.
Cetti's w 3. Willow warbler 2.chiffchaff 3. Blackcap 2.
Redpoll. Bullfinch 4. Chaffinch 6. Greenfinch 7.

Last edited:
The April list currently stands on 104 species. Potential additions in the remainder of the month include:

Garganey, Hobby, Dunlin, Ringed Plover, Greenshank, Whimbrel, Black-tailed Godwit, Sanderling, Wood Sandpiper, Bar-tailed Godwit, Ruff, Arctic Tern, Yellow-legged Gull, Tawny Owl, Little Owl, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Cuckoo, Swift, Whinchat, Grey Wagtail, Yellow Wagtail, Garden Warbler, Yellowhammer

The average April monthly total is 113 species with a maximum of 119 (in 2013) and a minimum of 104 (in 2016) - a good wader passage could see us get close to the record although at the minute ANY passage wader would be good!!

From the Flashes this morning Andy P reports:

NO GLOSSY IBIS

39 Avocet, 12 Lapwing, 3 LR Plover, 2 Oystercatcher, Common Sand, 6 Tufted Duck (plus 24 on the Sailing Pool), 4 Shoveler, 2 Shelduck, 5 Common Gull.

4 GC Grebe on Sailing Pool, Little Grebe on Hen Pool.

Today's highlights:

FLASHES:
Glossy Ibis Missing for most of the morning and part of the afternoon but came into roost at 20.20.
Sandwich Tern Arrived around mid-day and after threatening to leave, it didn't depart until late afternoon.
Whimbrel Arrived shortly after the Sandwich Tern and gave excellent views in front of the hide. Still present at dusk.
Common Sand (2)--------------Green Sand (1)
Lapwing (12)--------------------Redshank (1) Probably the Moors bird.
Snipe (2)------------------------Avocet (39)
LRP (4)--------------------------Oystercatcher (2)
Shoveler (4)---------------------Shelduck (3)
Teal (3)--------------------------Little Egret (1)
Med Gull/B H Gull---------------Buzzard (7)
Peregrine------------------------L B B Gull (42)
Herring Gull (2)-----------------Common Gull (4). Two roosted.
Raven----------------------------Sedge Warbler (1)

MOORS:
Little Gull (ad) Arrived at approximately 09.20 and spent c10 minutes on islands close to the east hide before flying off.
Common Sand (1)---------------Redshank (1). See Flashes.
Lapwing (3)----------------------Oystercatcher (4)
Snipe (2)-------------------------Teal (pr)
Shoveler (9)----------------------Gadwall (6)
Tufted Duck (21)-----------------Shelduck (3)
Willow Warbler (2)---------------Cetti's Warbler (2)
Sedge Warbler (2)---------------Kestrel
Herring Gull (4)------------------Cormorant (1)
Little Grebe (4)------------------G C Grebe (2)
Water Rail (1)

Hen Pool:
Reed Warbler (1)----------------Cetti's Warbler (1)

Des.

Today's highlights:

FLASHES:
Glossy Ibis Missing for most of the morning and part of the afternoon but came into roost at 20.20.
Sandwich Tern Arrived around mid-day and after threatening to leave, it didn't depart until late afternoon.
Whimbrel Arrived shortly after the Sandwich Tern and gave excellent views in front of the hide. Still present at dusk.
Common Sand (2)--------------Green Sand (1)
Lapwing (12)--------------------Redshank (1) Probably the Moors bird.
Snipe (2)------------------------Avocet (39)
LRP (4)--------------------------Oystercatcher (2)
Shoveler (4)---------------------Shelduck (3)
Teal (3)--------------------------Little Egret (1)
Med Gull/B H Gull---------------Buzzard (7)
Peregrine------------------------L B B Gull (42)
Herring Gull (2)-----------------Common Gull (4). Two roosted.
Raven----------------------------Sedge Warbler (1)

MOORS:
Little Gull (ad) Arrived at approximately 09.20 and spent c10 minutes on islands close to the east hide before flying off.
Common Sand (1)---------------Redshank (1). See Flashes.
Lapwing (3)----------------------Oystercatcher (4)
Snipe (2)-------------------------Teal (pr)
Shoveler (9)----------------------Gadwall (6)
Tufted Duck (21)-----------------Shelduck (3)
Willow Warbler (2)---------------Cetti's Warbler (2)
Sedge Warbler (2)---------------Kestrel
Herring Gull (4)------------------Cormorant (1)
Little Grebe (4)------------------G C Grebe (2)
Water Rail (1)

Hen Pool:
Reed Warbler (1)----------------Cetti's Warbler (1)

Des.

At the Moors Pool this evening there was a Lesser Whitethroat present along the West Track and a Common Tern appeared at about 7.30pm. 2 Common Sands were also seen in Amy's Marsh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back