• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (1 Viewer)

Today's highlights:

MOORS/NORTH MOORS:
OSPREY caught at the N Moors and ate it on top of a lamp post by the A38! Returned to the Moors and then sat on another post SE of the reserve.
WHIMBREL at 18.45 flew NE across the 'secret garden'. Probably the Flashes bird.
Garden Warbler (2)------------------Grasshopper Warbler
Whitethroat (3)---------------------Blackcaps (numerous)
Cetti's Warbler----------------------Sedge Warbler
Swift (3)---------------------------Teal(pr)
Shoveler (3m)----------------------Gadwall (3)
Tufted Duck (26)-------------------Lapwing (1)
Green Sand (1)---------------------Oystercatcher(4)
Little Grebe (3)---------------------G C Grebe (6)
LRP (2)---------------------------- Cormorant(3)
Water Rail--------------------------Kestrel
Song Thrush------------------------Mistle Thrush

FLASHES/SAILING POOL:
OSPREY flew from the direction of the Sailing Pool through the Flashes mid-afternoon.
Whimbrel---------------------------Avocet
LRP(4)-----------------------------Oystercatcher (1)
Lapwing (1)------------------------Lesser Whitethroat (2) 3 reported Common Whitethroat(3)------------Reed Warbler
Sedge Warbler---------------------Gadwall (m)
Shoveler (m) on 3rd Flash----------Tufted Duck (13)
Mute Swan (4)---------------------Linnet (2)
Peregrine--------------------------G C Grebe (8)
Greylag Goose (2)

Des.

Should read Avocet (25).

Thanks John for putting this out on the forum. It was an embarassing situation and a totally unnecessary one. Having to deal with the flack was something I could have done without on such a wonderful afternoon. Actually whilst talking over what had happened with Steve, an osprey flew almost over our heads and a weasel went across the path nearby! Steve's excitement was almost as great as mine.
Steve is a superb bloke, friendly to all who pass by and very helpful to us at The Warren.

Agreed! PM'ed you Gaz.

Pleasant evening at Upton.
A couple of pics of the Whimbrel before it left about 18.15 and Garden Warbler by the Chestnut tree.

Chris B :)

Attachments

• whim 2a.JPG
    whim 2a.JPG
    307.8 KB · Views: 124
  • whim1a.JPG
    whim1a.JPG
    308.8 KB · Views: 135
  • garden warb 1a.JPG
    garden warb 1a.JPG
    379.2 KB · Views: 138
2012 Annual Report

Unfortunately the 2012 annual report will not be available for sale on Saturday's all-dayer (I suspect Mike may still bring back copies of previous years' report for anyone interested).

The intention is to have the report printed and ready for distribution in say the next 10-14 days. Myself and Mike will hang on to a couple of copies but the majority we will pass on to Rob and John to sell as they spend far more time on the reserve. If anyone is interested in a copy of this 58 page A5 report with upwards of 40 photos - a snip at £2.50 - could they let me know (ideally by PM so it doesnt clog the Forum up) so I know how many to run off. All proceeds go directly into the reserve's funds.

April ended with a total of 118 species, ten more than the best performing month last year. May should easily top 100 species and hopefully add to the 134 species recorded so far this year; good bets include Little Egret, Garganey, Black Tern, Sandwich Tern, Ruff, Yellow-legged Gull, Spotted Flycatcher and Tawny Owl.

I saw a single common snipe at the moors first thing

jon

I had 2 Snipe at the Moors early this morning: one in the seasonal pool with the Green Sandpiper & 2 LRPs and the other at the edge of the Broadmeadow Pool. A Cuckoo called from a tree near the Salwarpe; a Common Tern dropped in for about 10 minutes on the Pool Island and a Yellow Wagtail flew south past the East Hide.

Over at the Flashes a Raven soared high over the transmitter field.

Separation of Willow Warbler and Chiffchaff on face pattern

Apologies if this is 'teaching grannies to suck eggs' but there have been 2 requests for ID's on the 2 common Phylloscs today:

Please see below photos - the first is a Willow Warbler - note the pale area on the cheek below the eye. This contrasts with the darker outer feathers of the ear-coverts and the eye-stripe. There is less contrast between this pale cheek area and the lower part of the eye-ring. This gives a smarter, more striking face-pattern.

The second is a Chiffchaff - this generally has a more uniform (often uniformly darkish) cheek (less contrast between the inner cheek and the outer feathers of the ear-coverts). This means there is more contrast between the inner cheek and the pale eye-ring. This often gives Chiffchaffs a less striking, smudgier appearance.

There are also the other differences between the two species (as mentioned earlier) which should always be considered together - the face pattern difference can, however, be quite useful and is reasonably reliable if a good view or good photo are obtained.

Attachments

• willow_warbler_2.jpg
    willow_warbler_2.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 120
  • Perched Chiffchaff.jpg
    Perched Chiffchaff.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 120
Apologies if this is 'teaching grannies to suck eggs' but there have been 2 requests for ID's on the 2 common Phylloscs today:

Please see below photos - the first is a Willow Warbler - note the pale area on the cheek below the eye. This contrasts with the darker outer feathers of the ear-coverts and the eye-stripe. There is less contrast between this pale cheek area and the lower part of the eye-ring. This gives a smarter, more striking face-pattern.

The second is a Chiffchaff - this generally has a more uniform (often uniformly darkish) cheek (less contrast between the inner cheek and the outer feathers of the ear-coverts). This means there is more contrast between the inner cheek and the pale eye-ring. This often gives Chiffchaffs a less striking, smudgier appearance.

There are also the other differences between the two species (as mentioned earlier) which should always be considered together - the face pattern difference can, however, be quite useful and is reasonably reliable if a good view or good photo are obtained.

Useful info Dave thanks.

Flashes

Here are my offerings of the Whimbrel and Osprey at the Flashes today.
And for John, a lapwing's colours in the sunshine.

Attachments

• DSC01266.JPG
    DSC01266.JPG
    426.5 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC01269.jpg
    DSC01269.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC01369.JPG
    DSC01369.JPG
    274.5 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC01328.JPG
    DSC01328.JPG