• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (8 Viewers)

quick visit to the Moors on my way to work. Grasshopper warbler again singing in the scrub on the path to the West Hide but couldn't locate it visually. Popped along the Salwarp looking for cuckoos but no luck. Did find a chiffchaff singing rather oddly, first three syllables delivered quickly then short burst of normal song.

Theres only a blinking Woodchat Shrike been seen in Brandon Marsh this morning. Get it over UW way! Lets have it on the all dayers list!

All-Dayer

For tose with an interest in a personal list on the day, I've attached a checklist showing all the species recorded on prevoius spring all-dayers, how many years of the 20 (1991-2005 & 2008-2012) each has been recorded and when last recorded.

Two new species for the overall list last year were Short-eared Owl and Little Gull, hopefully we can add something new this year - maybe a Woodchat Shrike |=\|

For tose with an interest in a personal list on the day, I've attached a checklist showing all the species recorded on prevoius spring all-dayers, how many years of the 20 (1991-2005 & 2008-2012) each has been recorded and when last recorded.

Two new species for the overall list last year were Short-eared Owl and Little Gull, hopefully we can add something new this year - maybe a Woodchat Shrike |=\|

Where's the list Kid8-P

Brill pics....as said superb Pewit

Keith

thanks keith

the bird was performing a display flight in front of the east hide for around 20 mins - it then displayed to another lapwing on one of the shingle islands - the other bird didn't seem that interested though

jon

-

Attachments

• lapwing.jpg
    lapwing.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 71
  • lapwing2.JPG
    lapwing2.JPG
    392 KB · Views: 69
Apologies if this is 'teaching grannies to suck eggs' but there have been 2 requests for ID's on the 2 common Phylloscs today:

Please see below photos - the first is a Willow Warbler - note the pale area on the cheek below the eye. This contrasts with the darker outer feathers of the ear-coverts and the eye-stripe. There is less contrast between this pale cheek area and the lower part of the eye-ring. This gives a smarter, more striking face-pattern.

The second is a Chiffchaff - this generally has a more uniform (often uniformly darkish) cheek (less contrast between the inner cheek and the outer feathers of the ear-coverts). This means there is more contrast between the inner cheek and the pale eye-ring. This often gives Chiffchaffs a less striking, smudgier appearance.

There are also the other differences between the two species (as mentioned earlier) which should always be considered together - the face pattern difference can, however, be quite useful and is reasonably reliable if a good view or good photo are obtained.
Thanks for the descriptions, you don't know how helpful this is for us novices!
Rich

Cetti's

The Cetti's was singing and showing very fleetingly to the side of the Lapwing Hide this afternoon

Attachments

• DSC01786.JPG
    DSC01786.JPG
    303.4 KB · Views: 147
Dog Otter

Biking Birder asked me to photograph the Dog Otter which met it's doom on the A38 last year, now that it has been to the Taxidermist.
What a striking specimen he must have been....the Otter I mean! not the Biking Birder!!!!

Attachments

• S1360002.jpg
    S1360002.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 156
Biking Birder asked me to photograph the Dog Otter which met it's doom on the A38 last year, now that it has been to the Taxidermist.
What a striking specimen he must have been....the Otter I mean! not the Biking Birder!!!!

Having said that, prior to all this cycling mularkey Gary did look well stuffed ....3:)

All-dayer

Thanks for the generous support we have already received towards our 'fighting fund' ....we have also just received sponsorship of 50p per bird !!!!:eek!::t:
from one of our regulars thanks ***.

If that doesn't spur us on nothing will.

There are 3 lads staying over night tomorrow as part of the 24hour guard on the reserve and at the same time listening out for owls and dare I say Crakes;)
The ringing team will be on site early on to set up the nets. These nets are in areas that are open and no habitat will be damaged or flattened. At least one net will be in the cut reed blocks and others in the north moors. The north end of the trail will possibly have a net as well. Fergus and Sean will put up signs indicating where the nets are.
For anyone who is interested in ringing, Fergus will be more than pleased to allow you to watch and photograph the birds being ringed.
Tomorrow I will be putting up the 'score boards' 1 each at the Moors and Flashes main hides.
Anybody who wants to come along on Saturday , just turn up and help us find some birds. Text me or any of the lads if you get a decent bird. It might be worth checking the score boards first and then go and find something we need for the day.
Bacon and mushroom sarnies will be cooked in the concrete hide should be enough for all comers (is that right Mike:smoke:) so apologies to any vegetarians that go in there on Saturday.
Any cake cookers will be more than welcome as long as they bring a cake8-P:eat:
So here's to a bumper total, to give Steve Nuttall's Belvide Boys a run for their money.B :)
Mike is bringing some A4 check lists I am sure he will let you have one.
:t:John
we will have a collection bucket on site if any one wants to make donations

Last edited:
Some more pictorial representations:

1. Swallow
2. Oystercatchers
3.Oystercatcher
4. LBJ? I don't think so! Dunnock
5. Apparently if this gang collect plastic carrier bags they can get 27p per ton! :-O

Rob

Attachments

• _ROB9086 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB9086 - Version 2.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 105
  • _ROB0493 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB0493 - Version 2.jpg
    339.2 KB · Views: 110
  • _ROB0451 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB0451 - Version 2.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 98
  • Dunnock singing.jpg
    Dunnock singing.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 119
  • Good citizens.jpg
    Good citizens.jpg
    405.4 KB · Views: 173
Seasonal pool at Amy's Marsh

Up until 2 years ago this area was formerly(1998ish) an open area that occasionally got wet. Unfortunately it was left to nature and soon became a willow carr. However in 2011 the trees were cut down and treated. But the water never returned, until last June during the floods when it filled to the rim. But by September 2012 the water had drained away. The floods returned in autumn and the high water table replenished the pool. Now as the water table has fallen the waters are receeding and exposing ideal conditions for passage waders. The dry warm weather is accelerating the drying effect and it has just a few days left before it finally dries out. Hopefully it will hold up long enough to see the spring passage through.
In the last few days several waders have been appearing here, so check out of the left side of the east hide when you are next there.
Waders seen over the last few weeks, with most seen in the last few days:
Redshank, green and common sand, dunlin, snipe, oystercatcher, lapwing , LRP, curlew.
Pics
1 as of the 28th April
2. crap shot of dunlin and green sand, free sarnie on Saturday if you can see the birds
3 as of 30th April

Attachments

• 1.seasonal pool 28th Apr.JPG
    1.seasonal pool 28th Apr.JPG
    254.8 KB · Views: 106
  • 2 dunlin green sandDSCF7264 (3).JPG
    2 dunlin green sandDSCF7264 (3).JPG
    429.8 KB · Views: 120
  • 3.seasonal p 30th Apr.JPG
    3.seasonal p 30th Apr.JPG
    318.2 KB · Views: 112
Only two waders at the flashes for most of today I saw more from the east hide (snipe, lapwing, oystercatcher)aturday. Hope this changes by sat and more like last week

Users who are viewing this thread

Back