• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (5 Viewers)

BHG behaviour

Love them or loathe them they are never boring.
Yesterday and today I notice some strange behaviour from this species and they seem to be getting more erratic by the day.
When you approach the first flash hide you are welcomed by a squadron of parents that leap out of the nearby breeding rafts. They don't quite dive bomb you but they certainly let you know that they are there and follow you up to the screening panels. From here the main colony take over and are often joined by some of the avocets. Yesterday however, this reaction turned into mass panic, the likes of which are only brought about by fox incursions.
I quickly ran to the main hide expecting the worse, but all I could see were BHG attacking BHG chicks that were swimming between islands, its as if the colony has been infected with a blood-lust and any chick that moved was attacked. Shortly after arriving in the hide, a group of LBBG passed over and the onslaught switched from the chicks to the avian intruders. Quickly repelling the invaders, they returned to 'chick bashing'.
The BHG regularly and relentlessly attack chicks that have wondered from their nest site, even if the parents are accompanying them they will continue and small chicks are easily killed. Today even well grown young were attacked and attempted to be drowned, the 'brawl' attracted nearby avocets that joined in. This may be a form of infanticide on a grand scale and certainly aids population control, they seem to have too much time on their hands and are out to cause havoc (the jackdaw's of the gull world).
Another example of the BHG strange behaviour was when the male peregrine flew through, the gulls panicked in all directions. The peregrine's next sortie saw the gulls instantly drop on to the water and silently freeze to the spot, the is the only time their raucous calls stopped all the time I was there.
B :)john

Would be interesting to know if such behaviour is regularly noted at other BHG colonies; did you see any youngesters actually killed today John?

Would be interesting to know if such behaviour is regularly noted at other BHG colonies; did you see any youngesters actually killed today John?

Not today, yesterday I would say at least 1 was killed. Today a large chick had left one of the rafts, initially it was on the shore in front of the 1st hide. When it tried to swim on to the 1st Flash island, that's when the attack started. Its parents tried fighting off the 'gang' but it got a real good kicking or should I say 'pecking'. One bird got on its back and was pushing it under the water it escaped by hiding in thick vegetation.

BHG behaviour

Interesting observations of BHGs John. I saw something that I haven't noticed them doing before the other day. They all collected & perched in the tree in the pic. I've seen them perching on the power wires but don't recall seeing them in trees.
The other image is a juvenile Whitethroat I think.

Rob

Attachments

• _ROB1478.jpg
    _ROB1478.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 80
  • _ROB0410.jpg
    _ROB0410.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 80
Not today, yesterday I would say at least 1 was killed. Today a large chick had left one of the rafts, initially it was on the shore in front of the 1st hide. When it tried to swim on to the 1st Flash island, that's when the attack started. Its parents tried fighting off the 'gang' but it got a real good kicking or should I say 'pecking'. One bird got on its back and was pushing it under the water it escaped by hiding in thick vegetation.

Heres a picture the BHG attack on a chick from yesterday.

Chris

Attachments

• IMG_8758.JPG
    IMG_8758.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 79
Whilst at UW on Tuesday I noticed that the BHGs were spending a considerable amount of time feeding from the uppermost leaves of large willow trees. I assume they were feeding off insects such as caterpillar moths?

Attachments

• bhg.jpg
    bhg.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 58
Interesting observations of BHGs John. I saw something that I haven't noticed them doing before the other day. They all collected & perched in the tree in the pic. I've seen them perching on the power wires but don't recall seeing them in trees.
The other image is a juvenile Whitethroat I think.

Rob
Hi Rob
They do look strange in trees, I think they were feeding on hatching flies.
BHG are so successful because they adapt to conditions: hawking insects in the summer, catching worms in flooded fields, 'foot patting' in the shallows, feeding on rubbish tips, egg predation of other ground nester's (including their own species), apparently now causing havoc at Minsmere where they are eating avocet chicks, as well as fishing and coming to bread in parks. I think their numbers will keep rising, although their cannibalistic tendencies could be a limiting factor. I personally think they add to the ambience of the reserve with their incessant raucous calls, it reminds of the saltmarsh's in Norfolk. However I am concerned that they are taking over too many islands and to think they have only been breeding since 2005. On a positive note, the recent increase in Mediterranean gulls on the reserve during the breeding season, is solely attributed to the increase in Blackeds.
B :)John

.... I think their numbers will keep rising, although their cannibalistic tendencies could be a limiting factor. I personally think they add to the ambience of the reserve with their incessant raucous calls, it reminds of the saltmarsh's in Norfolk. However I am concerned that they are taking over too many islands and to think they have only been breeding since 2005. On a positive note, the recent increase in Mediterranean gulls on the reserve during the breeding season, is solely attributed to the increase in Blackeds.
B :)John

Could the recent behaviour be survival stress - many animals turn against their offspring when greater stress intervenes. The colony could be under stress in some way and therefore cannot tolerate as many young as have been produced. This could mean the food supply is limited this year or the colony has reached it's natural limit?

Unless it's just one or two individual chicks which may mean the original male has been usurped and the interloper is targetting the previous offspring.

Perhaps it is a pity the peregrine doesn't target BHG chicks instead of Dunlin.

Could the recent behaviour be survival stress - many animals turn against their offspring when greater stress intervenes. The colony could be under stress in some way and therefore cannot tolerate as many young as have been produced. This could mean the food supply is limited this year or the colony has reached it's natural limit?

Unless it's just one or two individual chicks which may mean the original male has been usurped and the interloper is targetting the previous offspring.

Perhaps it is a pity the peregrine doesn't target BHG chicks instead of Dunlin.
Hi Paul
I am sure there is a scientific explanation and yours sounds feasible, The attacks on the individual chicks were at times carried out by 20 or more birds, making it impossible for its parents to defend against. BHG indulge in group behaviour so if one bird attacks a chick the rest seem to follow, for no apparent reason other than copy cat behaviour.
Peregrine attacking the adults would be better.

Yesterday I spoke to Paul A (white van man) our resident peregrine expert, about them attacking the waders. His reply was, in poor wet weather the male of the pair becomes lazy and choices easier prey (such as feeding waders), in good conditions it will resort to pigeons that are more difficult to catch, but the extra effort is more rewarding.

In the 7 hours that I was on the Reserve today I went just about everywhere and spent time in every hide (which made a pleasant change).
Highlights of the day were few and far between but there were two Whitethroats and two Cuckoos singing on the North Moors. Great views of the Hirundines feeding were afforded by the East hide. GSWs were everywhere - or so it seemed, with a juvenile on the West hide feeder. GCG were coming in quite close. Two Common Terns were in their normal place on the Moors rails. A Jay tried to get through the feeding station mesh until it was seen off by a Magpie! There was a stunning bit of Lichen on a branch along the West track. I saw a Chimney Sweeper in the high ropes/climbing area (what does Pignut look like, cos that's their food plant apparently?). 11 adult Avocets with 8 chicks (one very close) on the Flashes where we had a short visit by a pair of Cuckoos that landed in the hedge and fence behind the third Flash (one was eventually scared off by an Avocet). I'm fairly certain the a Peregrine made an attack as I was leaving the Flashes. But my attempted photos of it are... 'blob'ology I'm afraid! A rather good cheese sarny cost me £2.20 when I'd finished too.
Here are a few pictures.

Attachments

• CT.jpg
    CT.jpg
    344.9 KB · Views: 72
  • GCG.jpg
    GCG.jpg
    355.1 KB · Views: 58
  • GSWJ.jpg
    GSWJ.jpg
    298.6 KB · Views: 66
  • L.jpg
    L.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 58
  • MS.jpg
    MS.jpg
    346.7 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Photos from today continued... BTW there were more Grey Squirrels on the North Moors than you could shake a stick at!

Attachments

• A.jpg
    A.jpg
    377 KB · Views: 64
  • Chimney Sweeper.jpg
    Chimney Sweeper.jpg
    311 KB · Views: 76
  • AJ.jpg
    AJ.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 64
  • J.jpg
    J.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 79
  • GS.jpg
    GS.jpg
    315.6 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
In the 7 hours that I was on the Reserve today I went just about everywhere and spent time in every hide (which made a pleasant change).
Highlights of the day were few and far between but there were two Whitethroats and two Cuckoos singing on the North Moors. Great views of the Hirundines feeding were afforded by the East hide. GSWs were everywhere - or so it seemed, with a juvenile on the West hide feeder. GCG were coming in quite close. Two Common Terns were in their normal place on the Moors rails. A Jay tried to get through the feeding station mesh until it was seen off by a Magpie! There was a stunning bit of Lichen on a branch along the West track. I saw a Chimney Sweeper in the high ropes/climbing area (what does Pignut look like, cos that's their food plant apparently?). 11 adult Avocets with 8 chicks (one very close) on the Flashes where we had a short visit by a pair of Cuckoos that landed in the hedge and fence behind the third Flash (one was eventually scared off by an Avocet). I'm fairly certain the a Peregrine made an attack as I was leaving the Flashes. But my attempted photos of it are... 'blob'ology I'm afraid! A rather good cheese sarny cost me £2.20 when I'd finished too.
Here are a few pictures.
Great shots Sy any pictures of the sarny8-P.
only 8 chicks? one of the broods does disappear at times maybe gone on to the 3rd flash.

A brief visit this morning produced:

SAILING POOL
4 GC Grebe, 1 Coot, 1 Moorhen, 17 Mallard, 1 Common Tern, 4 Raven over, 1 Tufted Duck over

FLASHES
5 LRP, 2 Oystercatcher, 11 Avocet + 9 chicks (in all fairness to Sy in took me nearly 50 mins to seen the ninth chick), 2 Shelduck, 1 Shoveler (male), 17 Mallard, 7 Tufted Duck, 3 Moorhen, 3 Coot, 9 Canada Geese, 135 BH Gull - one youngster seen in flight, Cuckoo at rear of Hen Pool.

MOORS POOL
5 GC Grebe + 2 chicks from the pair nesting in Amy's Marsh, 1 LBB Gull, 65 BH Gull, 2 Common Tern, 41 Coot, 2 Moorhen, 4 Oystercatcher + 2 chicks, 1 Lapwing, 10 Tufted Duck, 21 Mallard, 41 Canada Geese, Cuckoo on the south boundary, good numbers of Swift and Sand Martin, Goldcrest along the east track

June's month list has already reached a commendable 82. Birds that have yet to be recorded (or I am not aware of) include Common Gull, Mistle Thrush, Common Sand, Green Sand, Yellow Wagtail, Little Owl, Coal Tit, Willow Warbler and Rook.

........... I saw a Chimney Sweeper in the high ropes/climbing area (what does Pignut look like, cos that's their food plant apparently?). .

Pignut is an 'umbellifer' - a member of the parsley family, quite similar to cow parsley but a bit more delicate. If you dig up the root there is an edible 'nutty' tuber. I'm not advocating this, however - unless you find yourself in a 'Ray Mears'-type survival situation. Photo attached :t:

Attachments

• Pignut.jpg
    Pignut.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 59
Umbellifer. I think I had treatment with one of those when I was a serviceman in Belize... but that's for another day and a different audience! :eek!:

Here are a few pictures.

Chimney Sweeper moth was added to the Upton moth list as recently as last Wednesday on the evidence of one in front of the new Flashes hide. I saw one last year, but lack of photographic evidence meant that its inclusion had to wait. Chimney Sweeper moth has obviously been overlooked in the past as it is fairly common in suitable habitat.

Des.

Chimney Sweeper moth was added to the Upton moth list as recently as last Wednesday on the evidence of one in front of the new Flashes hide. I saw one last year, but lack of photographic evidence meant that its inclusion had to wait. Chimney Sweeper moth has obviously been overlooked in the past as it is fairly common in suitable habitat.

Des.

I saw one at Upton last year along the hen brook - think I may have a photo somewhere. I recall someone having seen several on the north moors also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back