• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (22 Viewers)

Ring-Billed Gull?

Popped over for the first time in a while, last Thursday 2nd, with bins and camera but not my scope. Bit too much to carry with new hip on board. Saw a gull circling and landed on a pontoon. bit too far to ID with bins but didn't recognise it, so took some shots to check at a later date. Having just done so I think it's a Ring-billed Gull. Unfortunately not pin sharp. Not too hot on gulls so would appreciate your opinions. It was only about for 10 mins or so. Thanks

Attachments

• _MG_3523.jpg
    _MG_3523.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 119
  • _MG_3524.jpg
    _MG_3524.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 98
Popped over for the first time in a while, last Thursday 2nd, with bins and camera but not my scope. Bit too much to carry with new hip on board. Saw a gull circling and landed on a pontoon. bit too far to ID with bins but didn't recognise it, so took some shots to check at a later date. Having just done so I think it's a Ring-billed Gull. Unfortunately not pin sharp. Not too hot on gulls so would appreciate your opinions. It was only about for 10 mins or so. Thanks

Hi Gruff - its a Lesser Black-backed Gull, probably a 4th year bird thats starting to approach full adult plumage. A Ring-billed Gull wouldnt be as large, heavily built or show such a dark mantle; the ring is also more clearly defined and better contrasting with the yellow on the bill. Think Spoonbill Finder posted a good photo of a classic RBG a few weeks back

Marsh Harrier.............

Further to Phils' note re: wing-tagged bird, i had, more or less, the same feelers out and received this reply on the 29th. I am currently birding in Portugal:eek!: and hav'nt been able to access email until today........

The link for details via the BTO are below for those that are interested, only Monty's plus Little and Great Bustards around here at present;)

http://btoglassfish.bto.org/ring-prints/FP14009-F-9354370-20130429-104003.html

Nice to see the weather has picked up in the Midlands today, prob 2moz as well before low presh brings wind and rain and high presh building over the weekend.

Laurie:t:

Disturbance at FLASHES Tomorrow

Due to Badger incursions and the loss of 3 Avocet nests as result, we will be repairing the damaged fencing. This will take place tomorrow in the morning between 10 and 12. We will be walking around the outside of the fencing and enter through the gate to the right of the sewage works. This will lessen the disturbance to the birds. If we don't do it now, we could lose many chicks later in the season.
Sorry for any inconvenience to any one visiting Tomorrow.
B :)John

Saturdays photos from Marys varied wildlife

Attachments

• may 4th 001.jpg
    may 4th 001.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 130
  • may 4th 008.jpg
    may 4th 008.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 99
  • may 4th 012.jpg
    may 4th 012.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 97
  • may 4th 014.jpg
    may 4th 014.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 113
  • may 4th 006.jpg
    may 4th 006.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 94
The attachment, shows how many birds were ringed on the 'all-dayer'.

Cheers John - interesting to see the range of species ringed. The real value will come when this is rolled out year on year and we have comparable data (and hopefully some re-traps).

Was the male Cetti's Warbler colour-ringed? If so, what was the combination?

Cheers John - interesting to see the range of species ringed. The real value will come when this is rolled out year on year and we have comparable data (and hopefully some re-traps).

Was the male Cetti's Warbler colour-ringed? If so, what was the combination?

Yes Phil.
Red (indicating UW bird) and white, cant remember which leg was which, but should be fairly distinctive :t:
MB

Been away from the computer since Saturday. A great day, and one which was enjoyed from the very start. Great company as always!
Agree with Gary RE the OYCS at the Flashes overnight, they were stupidly loud! From a slow start it picked up greatly thanks to abit of rain!
Sadly my body caved in on my by around 6pm, after 15 hours awake following 2 hours of sleep in the last 24 hours, and a few ciders the previous evening. Managed to slog another hour, pulling back Redpoll from Dave, but just couldn't do anymore.
Needless to say, once I got to the girlfriends house, I didn't wake up again until around 11!
Great day, Great people and some decent birds!
MB

A few pics from today.

P1. Record shot of Red Kite over sailing pool.
P2. Ross's goose on Moors.
P3. Chain fencing gang.
P4. Reed Warbler from Hen pool hide.

Attachments

• p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    410 KB · Views: 121
  • p2.jpg
    p2.jpg
    483.8 KB · Views: 106
  • p3.jpg
    p3.jpg