• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (16 Viewers)

Rarer than a Lesser Kestrel these days!

Des.

Des - its only the seventh date that Redshank have been noted this year! :eek!::-C

Paul - any update on how much of a "lesser" Kestrel you are now after the diet? :eat::eat:

Last edited:
Hi, is anyone interested in West midland bird club reports ?
I have 9 - 1979, 1981-1986, 1991 & 92. I would like 50p each for them To go to the Upton fund. If you are interested let me know and I will arrange to deliver them to the flashes.
Thanks.

Hi, is anyone interested in West midland bird club reports ?
I have 9 - 1979, 1981-1986, 1991 & 92. I would like 50p each for them To go to the Upton fund. If you are interested let me know and I will arrange to deliver them to the flashes.
Thanks.

Yes please Geoff - will probably be down next Saturday am (will round up to a fiver).

Hi Phil - by fantail I mean a completely white dove we used to have them at the farm at the back of me (White House Farm) They used to have around a dozen but never knew what happened to them.

Many thanks for answering the question I know understand a little more than I did this morning again thank you.

I am pleased to announce that the first Avocet chick emerged today at the Flashes, the 11th year the species has bred at the reserve. Avocet is a Schedule One breeder but at Upton Waren we consider that the best deterrent against those who may wish harm on such wonderful birds is to increase the profile and visitor numbers and therefore activity levels around the reserve (plus discrete over-night watches). If anyone observes any suspicious behaviour please contact take some details and contact one of the wardens or, if you believe a crime is in progress, the police.

I am pleased to announce that the first Avocet chick emerged today at the Flashes, the 11th year the species has bred at the reserve. Avocet is a Schedule One breeder but at Upton Waren we consider that the best deterrent against those who may wish harm on such wonderful birds is to increase the profile and visitor numbers and therefore activity levels around the reserve (plus discrete over-night watches). If anyone observes any suspicious behaviour please contact take some details and contact one of the wardens or, if you believe a crime is in progress, the police.

Nice one and well done to all who have helped to make it all possible.
Lets hope all the natural predators keep away as well.

Keith :t:

you can ring the police on 101 or in an emergency 999. You will see 'Police' notices on the hides re anti social behaviour, help us to protect your reserve.

The avocet chick was getting far too much attention from one BH Gull. Parents seemed to be quite passive and it was clear the gull was trying to separate the chick from its parents. There were several surprised comments as most of us recall how aggressive adult avocets can be. I have seen avocets see off sparrowhawks and lesser black backs and one occasion a peregrine.
There was also a comment made about the affect corvid, gull and badger predation has on nestlings and our response to dealing with this problem. Badgers are a protected species, not sure about black heads given their amber status and obviously corvids (and foxes) aren't.

As for the weight loss, down a stone but currently on a new course of medication which can cause weight gain. Off for more tests this Friday, so trying to maximise my Upton time.

Re the earlier 101 reference, told there is a rumour going around the reserve that is the average age of my girl friends.

Last edited:
Lesser'throat by the Sailing Pool Car Park.

Excellent views of the cettis from the west hide.

Kingfishers have bred. One seen every few minutes with a fish in its beak.

When you visit a birding reserve or just go out birding do you add birds you see as well as birds as you hear onto your year/life's lists or don't you bother, myself I don't but I just wondered what everyone else does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back