• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Urban Raptors (1 Viewer)

In and around Newcastle UK Kestrel and Sparrowhawk are common and Peregrine are regular in the winter months with single birds holding territories in Newcastle City centre but no breeding yet.Merlin normally appear in the winter but are allusive one such bird wintered in the Central station area of Newcastle and was often seen hunting along the tracks. I have also had two sightings of urban Goshawk one being an immature in the last five years.Also a single sighting of Osprey on passage and a Red Kite before they were Hacked at Gibside.Buzzard are also seen regular and on sunny warm days can be recorded over city centre

In Manchester we have had peregrines nesting in the city centre for the last 4 years and have now raised 16 young. Kestrels have nested in Piccadilly Basin for a few years. Sparrowhak at the University. I have seen the sparrowhawk hunting the pied wagtail roost at night outside the town hall. Sometimes the juveniles get themselves into trouble and need rescuing.

Attachments

• Peregrine Manchester  30th May 07 A.Dancy ( C.Right) 193.jpg
    Peregrine Manchester 30th May 07 A.Dancy ( C.Right) 193.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 82
  • Peregrine B3 release 29th Sept 07 031.jpg
    Peregrine B3 release 29th Sept 07 031.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 80
  • Copy of Kestrel common 071.jpg
    Copy of Kestrel common 071.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 87
  • Kestrel release 20 June  09 044.jpg
    Kestrel release 20 June 09 044.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 84
  • Sparrowhawk-pied_wag_16th_January_09_083.jpg
    Sparrowhawk-pied_wag_16th_January_09_083.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 91
Here in New York we have a good selection of urban raptors, including a movie star;). Screech owls in Central Park, peregrines by St John's cathedral and the famous red tailed hawk couple, Pale Male and Lola, now in residence for well over 10 year at 927 5th Ave. The descendants of the latter are now raising broods elsewhere in the city, fueled by an ample supply of pigeons and rodents.The screech owls are the last of 14 that were released in Central Park by NY ornithologists.
As a cautionary note, some other studies suggest that urban centers are sinks for raptors, because reproductive success is generally low and populations are maintained by recruiting from the outside environment.

Hi Joseph
Your question reminded me of an article I read earlier in the year, it said that Leicester University have put a nest box for Peregrins on the of thiere tallest building, 200 feet up! Be interested to here of any developments on that.
Dave

Wow, that must be lovely, I'd feel very privileged if I were you. Have they bred?

They have had at least one chick every year, and definitely have at least one from this year, saw 3 flying round the tower recently :) only downside is the noise at 520am, and of course the beheaded corpses of birds, not everyone appreciates that ;) lol

Very interesting once again folks, thanks very much for your comments so far. I am particularly impressed by the amount of raptors jerkin has seen within Newcastle, a total of 8 species, including Goshawk. May I ask under what circumstances did you see your urban Goshawks? Etudiant, its interesting to hear some of the Urban Raptors you get in America.

Its good to hear they breed on your flat, IanC; I would love it if I had Peregrines breeding that close to me. o:D

Urban Raptors

Very interesting once again folks, thanks very much for your comments so far. I am particularly impressed by the amount of raptors jerkin has seen within Newcastle, a total of 8 species, including Goshawk. May I ask under what circumstances did you see your urban Goshawks? Etudiant, its interesting to hear some of the Urban Raptors you get in America.

Its good to hear they breed on your flat, IanC; I would love it if I had Peregrines breeding that close to me. o:D

Both Goshawks I seen came of a housing estate which is situated on the edge of green belt land the adjoining farmland is strictly private with good opportunities to lie up most of the day undisturbed.The Immature gos was confirmed by a friend who seen it put in near an over grown pond about quarter of a mile away,both my self and my friend are familiar with the species as we have been active in Falconry for over 30 years.I would rather not go into any detail about the location

Sorry I didn't mention Owls.We have Tawny Owls widespread in the city centre they take Starling and pigeon of the ledges of buildings.Barn Owls are holding on in the green belt near my house but time will run out as the areas being developed we also have occasional Long Eared Owls and use to have Shorteard Owls but the population seems to have crashed and now they are twitch-able,Little owl are also a local and scarce breeder.Escaped Eagle owls are recorded every year some times as many as 3 normally Eurasian but also Bengal race and I even caught a Turkmenian Eagle Owl when I grabbed it by its legs I thought it would try and put me in hospital but it was soft as a kitten,got to be the most beautiful Eagle Owl Iv seen

Following up on Etudiant's post, in NYC I regularly see Peregrines, Red tail hawks, and Kestrels. All are residents here in the summer at least. In migration you will see more, but these are summer residents. Even in the suburbs where I live, I now see Peregrines regularly in the summer, it is amazing. On one summer evening on a balcony in New Rochelle a Peregrine almost flew close enough to touch. It took my breath away. I think the one I've seen a few miles north in my town might be the same one. David

Never was that lucky to have a peregrine within a few feet, but have been seriously distracted while in a business meeting in NYC by a steady flurry of feathers coming down past the window and realizing it was from a peregrine doing lunch on the balcony one flight up.

Urban raptors in Southampton

I'm lucky enough to live in a city with lots of raptors, some more likely to be seen than others. Southampton has plenty of Sparrowhawks, Kestrels and Buzzards, plus one or two almost-resident Peregrines. Hobbies fly over occasionally (more likely during August - one was over my house a few weeks ago, chasing Swifts) and I've seen 3 Red Kites passing overhead. Extending the area to the edge of the city (3 miles from the city centre) allows me to add Osprey (on passage, especially at this time of year - one at Lower Test Marshes last Saturday), Hen Harrier and Marsh Harrier (with records of Merlin, Red-Footed Falcon, Honey Buzzard and reports of Black Kite in the past).

Who needs to leave the city?

David

Jerkin; that's brilliant. I would love it if I had seen all those bird of prey and owls here in Aberdeen, but unfortunately that is not to be. Jacquot, what a tantalizing experience that must have been, to see Peregrine that close. Its good to see another American post in here. ;)

Skatebirder, you certainly don't need to leave Southampton with that corking list of urban raptors you've seen. I'm very impressed! ;)

Joseph,

Try Cromwell Road Recreation Ground in September. In my 8 years in the city it has regularly produced raptors. I've seen Buzzard, Kestrel, Sparrowhawk & Peregrine on a regular basis from my window, which overlooks the skies above it. Other birds seen, more rarely, have been Red Kite, Marsh & Hen Harriers, 2 probable Honey Buzzards and Osprey (about 4 records over the years) and once an escaped Gyr/Saker cross. I don't know exactly why it's so good, though I suspect it's because it's a natural flyway as the birds are using some kind of contours as landmarks. Most migrating birds such as Swifts and Swallows go WSW or NE across it every year, along with many small passerines especially in the autumn.

Cheers

Last edited:
Raptors I've seen in my part of East Leeds are peregrine, buzzard becoming common, sparrowhawks, kestrels and red kites. Red kites have flown over the garden a few times and on Saturday morning had a good display of five of them along with a buzzard while walking the dogs.

raptors seen on my patch in South London. Sparrowhawk, peregrine, kestrel, buzzard, marsh harrier, hen harrier, honey buzzard, osprey, little owl, tawny owl, barn owl, long and short eared owl, hobby, red kite. Passage of nearly 50 buzzards over two days mostly juv earlier in the year.

Joseph,

Try Cromwell Road Recreation Ground in September. In my 8 years in the city it has regularly produced raptors. I've seen Buzzard, Kestrel, Sparrowhawk & Peregrine on a regular basis from my window, which overlooks the skies above it. Other birds seen, more rarely, have been Red Kite, Marsh & Hen Harriers, 2 probable Honey Buzzards and Osprey (about 4 records over the years) and once an escaped Gyr/Saker cross. I don't know exactly why it's so good, though I suspect it's because it's a natural flyway as the birds are using some kind of contours as landmarks. Most migrating birds such as Swifts and Swallows go WSW or NE across it every year, along with many small passerines especially in the autumn.

Cheers

Thanks Phil for that information, just wondering if you are Phil Wilson, who my Dad and I have met a few times down at Girdlness some years ago? I was then a little boy but am now 15. My Dad (Tom Nichols) and I are still keen birders, and have often noticed birds seen from your window in your reports. We have only seen 4 species of raptors from our garden, and we are in Aberdeen too. ;)

dodge007, that's rather impressive for South London. Well done!

Thanks Phil for that information, just wondering if you are Phil Wilson, who my Dad and I have met a few times down at Girdlness some years ago? I was then a little boy but am now 15. My Dad (Tom Nichols) and I are still keen birders, and have often noticed birds seen from your window in your reports. We have only seen 4 species of raptors from our garden, and we are in Aberdeen too. ;)
Hi Jospeh,

Yes, the same. I remember you and your Dad well. Don't get down to the Ness as often nowadays for one reason and another, but may turn up there in the next couple of weeks. I'm glad you've retained your interest.

Regular watching of any spot will pay off, though. I'm not quite as obsessive as I used to be, and I find that my photosite takes up an awful lot of time (and money) but I still do some wimndow watching while I'm at the PC. Sparrowhawk first thing this morning.

Cheers

Its great to hear that you still birdwatch from your window; as for not going down to the Ness so much, that's perfectly understandable, even I don't go there so much as I used to. It was nice to hear from you

Best,

Joseph

hobby in the southeast london suburbs round the corner from my house yesterday. plucked a starling out the air right over the road. was driving at the time, exclaimed something rather loudly and drove home with a huge smile on my face. seems to be quite a few south london raptor sightings. other than that it's sparrowhawks in the garden. one year there were a couple of kestrels about but i haven't seen them since.

a couple of years ago had osprey over leicester and remember hearing a tawny owl in vicky park earlier this year, was rather stoked about that.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back